Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'history of bedlington'.

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Discussion Forums

  • Announcements
    • Public Notices & Announcements
    • Site Announcements
  • Town & Around
    • Talk of the Town
    • Chat Central
    • Friends and Family
    • The Bedlingtonshire Consumer
    • Bedlington Traders
    • History Hollow
    • Likes and Loathes
  • Hobbies & Interests
    • The Sports Club
    • Motors & Motoring
    • Computing
    • Entertainment
    • Food & Cookery
    • Photography

Product Groups

  • Advertising
  • Supporting Members


  • Early Years
  • 1730-1840
  • 1840 Onwards

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



Website URL






Found 1 result

  1. Here is the Bedlington Time Line for Malcolm. Malcolm i put in a good bit for you. Take out and add what you need. Its a guide to help you. Maybe Forum users can add more to it and we can have an even better one. You can add in more on World War years. Like the spitfire collection and a lot more Put some humour in too, like Joe Steel The 1984 - 85 miners strike can be added too Just look its interesting as i say and many hours put into this with assists by members of the group. However, heres what i have done for now. 1069 The monks carrying the remains of Saint Cuthbert from Holy Island rest for a night at Bedlington & erect a a chapel dedicated to him 1150 The Normans were great builders, and the oldest portions of Saint Cuthbert's church date from about 1150. They are the chancel arch, the south wall of the nave with the small round window behind the pulpit, and the south doorway into the chapel. 1209 In April two Royal visitors come to Bedlington. King John summoned William, King of Scotland, to meet him in Newcastle. Actually, however, the first interview between the two monarchs took place at Bedlington. The negotiations were continued at Norham, in North Northumberland. Without any satisfactory result, King John called again at Bedlington. 1213 King John also visited Bedlington on January 25th and 26th 1216 King John stayed at Bedlington on January 9th and 10th, in connection with the expedition he launched against his rebellious barons in the North-country. The story, in brief, of the expedition, is that many of these barons had offended King John because of doing homage to the King of Scotland at Felton, near Alnwick. Impede King John's progress, the barons carried out what we now know as the "scorched earth†policy, by setting fire to their villages and corn. In retaliation, King John destroyed with fire and sword the towns and villages that lay in his way, including Morpeth, Mitford, Alnwick, and Wark. This was his last visit to Bedlington, for King John died in the following October, at Newark. 1590 Weaving became a booming business in Bedlingtonshire 1602 Bedlington Corn Mill established on the Bedlington side of the Dene 1736 William Thomlinson signs lease for Bedlington Iron Works. Approx 50 acres of land 1737 William Thomlinson dies 1743 Saint Cuthbert's Church had sashed windows installed 1757 In May, Malings & Company from Sunderland took over Bedlington Iron Works when they bought it at auction 1767 Bedlington had a brewery situated behind the Kings Arms "The Grapes†1782 Iron Works were bought by Hawks & Longridge 1782 The Market Cross is erected on its present site 1790 Bedlington Corn Mill incorporated into the Bedlington Iron Works 1799 Builders erected Millhouse Farm with stone quarried nearby 1801 The population in Bedlington was 789 1809 Bedlington Iron Works sold to Gordon & Biddulph of London 1810 There was about a dozen weaving establishments in Bedlington, and one of these, owned by a Mr. Graham, kept five men employed. 1811 Hartford House was designed and building began 1814 Bedlington Iron Works made many parts for Stephensons first locomotive Blucher 1814 The Gibson family began their nailing business in Bedlington 1815 The Gooch family arrived to reside in Bedlington, They were related to Michael Longridge (cousins) 1816 Daniel Gooch was born in the Kings Arms known locally as "The Grapes†1816 Joseph Ainsley of Bedlington was a mason by trade purchased a dog named "Peacham" from a William Coxon of Rothbury. 1818 Ainsley bred "Peacham" with Christopher Dixon's "Phoebe" from Longhorsely. 1818 They kept a pup and named it "Piper" & it was sold to a James Anderson of Longhorsely. The dog was liver in colour 1818 A shaft from a Saxon cross was discovered in Saint Cuthbert's church yard 1819 John Birkinshaw invents malleable iron rails and lays them between the Engine Pit, near Choppington to the Iron Works 1820 J Howe of Alnwick went to visit a friend in Bedlington and brought with him a terrier bitch named "Phoebe" that belonged to Andrew Riddell of Longframlington and left it with Edward Coates at the vicarage. The bitch was a gift as Coates had a keen interest in dogs. The bitch was then referred to as "Coate's Phoebe" by the people of Bedlington 1820 John Birkinshaw patents his malleable iron rails 1821 The population in Bedlington was 1862 1821 Longridge built a school for his workers children in the "Free Wood†1821 George Stephenson proposes the use of Birkinshaws malleable rails for the Stockton to Darlington Railway 1821 Petries's Mill built at the top of the Bedlington Bank 1822 Bedlington Iron Company receive huge contract for Birkinshaws malleable iron rails by George Stephenson 1823 Longridge, George & Robert Stephenson & Edward Pease formed locomotive works at Forth Street, Newcastle upon Tyne 1825 Coates decides to experiment a little further with the breed and mates "Coate's Phoebe" with Anderson's "Piper" So we have a bit inbreeding here The litter consisted of, after their owners who got them, "Ainsley's Ranter" of Gateshead, "Coate's Peacham" "Weatherburn's Phoebe" , "Hoy's Rocky" & "Fish's Crib". They went on further over the years and this is how we got our beloved Bedlington Terrier 1829 William Hare of Burke & Hare fame came to Bedlington in February. He was recognised and the people of Bedlington chased him out of Bedlington by throwing stones as he ran. 1832 Chartism begins in the Bedlington area 1832 Daniel Gooch at the age of 21, becomes the engineer for the Great Western Railway 1834 Demesne Farm begins. Farming began by the Abbs family 1837 The first meeting of the Bedlington Coal Company takes place at Durham 1837 Locomotive factory established at Bedlington Iron Works AND Longridge produced his first locomotive " Michael Longridge†for use on the Stanhope and Tyne Railway 1838 Chartism had huge support and the biggest rallies ever seen in the UK was held on the Town Moor at Newcastle upon Tyne 1838 Bedlington "A†Colliery began sinking the shaft. Known as the "Auld Pit†1839 Daniel Gooch designs the North Star engine. This became the model for all broad gauge engine to follow 1839 Seventeen locomotives were built at the locomotive factory at Bedlington 1839 Chartism ceased in Bedlington 1839 The Blyth & Bedlington Literary Supplement was produced at the Dene a monthly edition 1839 Bells Place was built at the east end of Bedlington 1840 Longridge established the Barring "Henry†Colliery 1840 Michael Longridge refuses a knighthood 1840 Bedlington has a place in postal history as it has the earliest known recorded usage of an adhesive stamp to prepay postage. The Penny Black officially came into service on May, 6th, 1840. However someone sent a letter from London under a "Mulready†wrapper to a Mr. Blenkinsop of Bedlington four days earlier. This then made the letter the earliest known in the United Kingdom. Together with this, the Mulready wrapper was not officially valid until the same day as the Penny Black. The Mr. Blenkinsop the letter was sent to, was an engineer at the Bedlington Ironworks, and what makes the letter more intriguing is that he had died nine years earlier. The stamp and wrapper were worth up to half a million pounds in 1991. How much today ?. With Mr. Blenkinsop not being alive when the letter was sent, it was forwarded to his family who lived in Carlisle, bearing a May, 4th, 1840 Morpeth postmark, probably adding more value to it. 1841 The population in Bedlington was 2023 1841 The steamship Bedlington was built in 1841 by T D Marshall of South Shields for the Bedlington Coal Company 1842 Longridge gave evidence at the Children's Employment Commission 1845 Michael Longridge refuses his second knighthood 1846 The founder of the Gibson family of nailers died and his wife Ann took over the running of it 1847 Blyth Building Society opened its first branch in Bedlington 1849 Cholera outbreak at Bedlington 1850 Bedlington Coal Company complete the building of the wooden viaduct over the River Blyth in June 1851 Michael Longridge provided an exhibit for the Great Exhibition at Crystal Palace 1851 In April the "Auld Reekie" steamer from Leigh arrived in Blyth to tow the "Bedlington" to Leith as her career was over for the coal company. 1851 The population in Bedlington was 5101 1851 Daniel Gooch was awarded a gold medal at the great exhibition 1853 Michael Longridge leaves the Locomotive Works 1853 New owners of Bedlington Iron Works is James Spence 1854 March 19th the Bedlington was sunk nine days before the outbreak of war betwwen Britain and Russia. the location being near Ismail on the Danube 1854 Bedlington "D†Colliery began sinking the shaft. Known as "Doctor Pit†1854 William Carr begins Bedlington's first newsagents in January. It was situated on Front Street east 1855 Bedlington Locomotive Factory was closed down 1855 James Spence sold his stock in a ten day sale at Bedlington Iron Works and the works were left derelict for six years 1855 Sinking of the Doctor Pit shaft completed 1855 John Middleton becomes the first manager of the Doctor Pit 1855 The first miners cottages were built near the Doctor Pit "Cross Row†1858 Michael Longridge dies at Hollymount Hall, Bedlington 1858 Bedlington's first post office had a telegraph system installed. It was situated in the Baptist Yard 1860 Thomas Burt marries his cousin, Mary Weatherburn at St Cuthbert's Church on January 1st. 1861 Capper, Mounsey & Dixon acquire the Bedlington Iron Works 1861 The population in Bedlington was 8328. This was mainly due to the expansion of coal mining 1861 Co-operative Society begins in June at Bedlington 1862 Bedlingtonshire Health Board came into existence & Dr James Trotter was a member 1864 Daniel Gooch resigns as engineer of the Great Western Railway to concentrate on telegraph communications to America 1864 Dixon & Mounsey built twenty-one cottages named Puddlers Row 1865 Capper, Mounsey & Dixon leave the Bedlington Iron Works 1865 Bedlington Coal Company purchase the works and trade as Bedlington Iron Company 1865 Daniel Gooch enters Parliament where he served for twenty years 1865 A donation 0f £800 was given by Mrs Sidney of Cowpen, Blyth towards the cost of the Catholic School at Bedlington. It cost just over £1100 1866 Daniel Gooch successfully completes the first transatlantic cable message 1866 An attempt to control sewage disposal began with a sewer laid down Newcastle Road to Browns Farm field 1866 Daniel Gooch was made a Baronet 1866 The first Miners Picnic was held at Polly's Folly at the north end of Shankhouse. Miners from Bedlington & other areas attended 1867 The Bedlington Iron Company folds 1867 The first candle-makers, William Barnes of Blyth, set up at eastern side of the Clayton Estate what was known as Moor Lane 1868 Ann Gibson, of the nailing family died. James Gibson then took over the business 1870 Shiney Row was built by the Bedlington Coal Company 1871 Saint Cuthbert's Church bell was damaged & replaced 1872 Stoker's Buildings were completed in Bedlington 1872 A schoolhouse was erected in a corner of the churchyard of Saint Cuthbert's 1873 All colliery houses of the Bedlington Coal Company had privies & ash-pits installed across the lane from the houses 1874 Vulcan Place School was built. Funding came from the church & Bedlington Coal Company 1874 Doctor Terrace was built by the Bedlington Coal Company 1876 The Bedlingtonshire Health Board completed its fresh water scheme for the area 1876 Gas works were installed at the Doctor Pit 1876 Bedlington Brick Manufacturing Company established 1877 Gas lighting was introduced to the streets of Bedlington 1880 The Salvation Army is established in Bedlington at the top of Hartford Road 1881 The Bedlington Police Station was opened at the west end of Bedlington 1882 The Baptist Chapel was adding a new storey when a cache of seventeenth century, gold and silver coins was found in the roof of the old chapel. 1883 William Barnes, candle-maker sold out to John Muter of Bedlington 1883 John Muter began manufacturing mineral waters at Sleekburn 1885 Daniel Gooch leaves Parliament 1886 Vulcan Place School was enlarged 1886 New South Row was built by the Bedlington Coal Company 1887 Miners strike lasting seventeen weeks 1889 Daniel Gooch dies in October. He had designed over 340 locomotives during his career 1891 Bedlington gets its YMCA situated at Sleekburn 1892 The Co-operative Society purchased the Hollymount Estate in Bedlington in January 1893 The Primitive Methodist Church was built at Front Street West. It cost £1500 1896 Vulcan Place Schools was again enlarged & renamed the Whitley Memorial School 1898 Graham & Bestford's Dene Candlework's established 1894 Co-operative Society begins its greengrocery business in Bedlington 1899 Dr James Trotter dies & a memorial to him set up in Front Street West 1900 The Doctor Pit became the highest producer of coal in Bedlington 1902 A new chimney & screens were erected at the Doctor Pit because of the increased productivity of coal 1902 The Red Lion public house was demolished and rebuilt 1902 The Locke Hall is opened in Bedlington 1903 The Blue Bell public house was demolished and rebuilt. It was an old coaching inn 1905 Phillip Hedley Gibson took over the running of the nailing business in Bedlington 1905 Saint John's Church was built at Sleekburn 1906 In August Miss Swann was found murdered at Hirst Head Farm, Bedlington 1906 North Terrace, Bedlington completed 1908 The first boys scouts troop was formed in Bedlington by William Hall with their HQ in a wooden hut at Vulcan Place 1908 Bedlington Council School, Junior Department was opened in June 1909 The Doctor Pit completed the sinking of a new shaft "The John†1910 Saint John's Church at Sleekburn was extended. A vicarage and church hall were added 1911 The Palace, a cinema & music hall was opened at Sleekburn 1912 The Prince of Wales cinema was built on Glebe Road 1912 Melrose Villas completed 1912 Melrose Terrace completed 1912 Saint Cuthbert's Church gallery was removed and in it's place a new aisle was built, with a memorial window. 1913 In April of this year a triple murder occurred at the Sun Inn. Two police officers and a civilian lost their lives after being shot 1913 Bedlington Council School, Infant Department was opened 1914 Sleekburn Division of the Saint John Ambulance Brigade is formed 1915 A German zeppelin dropped bombs in a farmers field on the border of Bedlington & Choppington 1917 During February, in the Bedlington Churchyard, there was a number of old residents who made it their duty to pay their last tribute of respect to an old lady who was associated with Bedlington and it's once famed iron industry. That lady was Miss Mary France Longridge, who died at her home in Cheshire aged 93 years. She was a daughter of Michael Longridge, who once owned the Bedlington Iron Works. 1921 Miners Strike & soup kitchens were set up 1922 The Doctor Pit had new winding gear installed and was fully electrified on the surface and underground 1923 In October the three Orange brothers Joseph, Robert & William, wanted to provide a service between Bedlington & Sleekburn Station & purchased 14 seat Model T bus reg number 'NL6214'. 1924 In May they applied for a licence to do this 1924 They took delivery of another bus, a 20 seater Lancia reg number 'NL6845' 1926 They began to pick up passengers from the Haymarket, Newcastle for Bedlington in July 1926 The General Strike 1926 The very last sword dance took place at Bedlington on Christmas Day 1926 Dr John Brown comes to Bedlington 1927 Orange brothers bought another bus a Gilford Model reg number CN2956 1927 September saw the Orange brothers pioneer the London to Newcastle bus service for £1 per head 1928 Saw the brothers running night services to London and they opened an office at Kings Cross 1930 The brothers began a service from Newcastle to Edinburgh and Glasgow in July 1930 Later that year the brothers moved their office from Bedlington to the Haymarket at Newcastle 1931 Bedlington Coal Company pits got their first brass band. They were from Barrington Colliery after its closure 1932 The Colliery Welfare Fund offered to install pit head baths, but the men refused after holding a ballot 1933 Orange Brothers employed over 100 staff and had 35 coaches 1933 Later in the year they decided to fly the very first air service between Newcastle and London. The "North Mail" had the headline "London to Newcastle in 3 hours" The paper went on to say that Joseph Orange arrived at Cramlington Aerodrome with his sister in a six seater Havilland Dragon similar to the two he intends to use to link London with Teeside and Tyneside. This service was run from Whitemare Pool, a flying field near Sunderland to Stag Lane aerodrome london and the fare would have been £5. They failed to find the capital and the route was begun by a competitor, Railway Air Services instead. 1934 United Automobile Services bought them out. Finally Orange Brothers faded into transport history 1934 Stone coffin unearthed at Millfield housing site Bedlington. It was Anglo Saxon with adult female human remains inside 1937 It was decided by the management to build the pit head baths at the Doctor Pit and they officially opened them 1938 Coal was mostly machine cut at the Doctor Pit 1939 World War Two broke out 1940 The Doctor Pit opened its canteen for the workers 1943 A new drift to develop the main coal from around the shaft at the Doctor Pit was completed 1944 Britain's best kept secrets, were training guerrilla 'Auxiliary Units' in a coastal strip thirty miles deep in readiness to harass the Nazi war machine when it landed on our beaches. Many men from Bedlington were secretly enlisted. There captain was actor Anthony Quayle. Their hideout, an underground chamber with six months rations and ammunition, was in Hartford Woods near Bedlington, Northumberland and they met in secret at an empty house in Shankhouse, Cramlington, Northumberland. Secrecy was all important and each cell was not known by name to any other cell just in case of interrogation or collaboration 1947 All coal mines were Nationalised on January 1st 1947 May 5th, was a historical occasion in the miners life. It was a battle in which union officials had long fought for, and finally won the introduction of the five-day week. 1947 More babies were born in Bedlington than in any other part of the North-East. During the quarter which ended June, births numbered 117, a bigger figure than those for Ashington, Blyth and Seaton Valley. 1947 Also recorded by the Registrar-General that Bedlington was a healthy place to live. Forty-one persons died there during the same period, compared with Ashington's 76, Blyth's 79 and Seaton Valley's 42. 1947 Bedlington had a population of 27210 1950 Bill Brewis, was the lightweight pitman of Bedlington "A†Pit, in June. He beat the record set by Joe Craddock, Minister of Fuel propaganda films, by hand filling one ton of coal every six minutes in one shift 1953 Queen Elizabeth II is crowned & many people out & about in Bedlington watched it through the window of the Rediffusion Shop 1954 In January Mr Carr, Newsagents celebrated 100 years as a newsagent in Bedlington 1956 Joe Steel, Bedlington's champion eater was at it again. The then 42 year old munched his way through a 4 1/2 Ib steak and kidney pie about 1 foot in diameter and 3 1/2 inches deep in 17 1/2 minutes. to break another record and gain another championship by beating 24 year old Ted Stoddard of Ashington. The event was held in the Howard Arms, Bedlington on Monday August 6th 1957 North Terrace, Bedlington gets tarmac road. 1959 It was late in the year when the Old Hall & Pele Tower were demolished in Bedlington. The Pele tower was Norman 1960 Millhouse Farm sold to the Knox brothers . 1961 The Knox brothers decided to use the stone from the demolished Millhouse Farm to prepare the foundations of the road and houses. Because some of the houses stood on the quarry site it means that the stone had been returned to it's original place after 160 years. During the demolishing of the farm there were some interesting finds. It was the custom in days gone by for the builders to place new coins in the walls and roofs of their constructions. In the old farm, six George III pennies dating 1799 to 1803, were found 1967 March saw the Doctor Pit cease production 1968 Bedlington had its first nightspot when the Club Domino at Sleekburn opened its doors in March 1971 Bedlington "A†Pit closes. Known as the "Auld Pit†1971 The new round-a-bout and Glebe Road alterations have been completed 1975 The Doctor Pit site was finally cleared 1977 Bedlington's Ex-Servicemen's Club was destroyed by a gas blast. Windows from around the area were completely blown out 1977 In May, Bedlington's Mechanics Institute began a new life as Bedlington Community Centre. Opened by Councillor Jim Haig 1984 The year long miners strike began 1985 The miners strike finally ended 1996 Dr John Brown MBE dies
  • Create New...