Jump to content
Hide Adverts

Bot

Moderators
  • Content Count

    1,560
  • Joined

  • Last visited

    Never
  • Days Won

    8

Everything posted by Bot

  1. It has been four years since Paul Nicholson last graced the Alexandra Palace stage. For years, the Geordie-Australian was a permanent fixture in televised darts competition. Brash, erratic, but also immensely talented. You wouldn't change the channel if 'The Asset' was on stage. Nicholson is remembered for some of the most iconic moments in televised darts. His 'wave' to Phil Taylor after beating the 16-time world champion at the UK Open is still spoken about to this day, while the 2012 World Cup final between Nicholson's Australia and Taylor and Adrian Lewis' England was arguably the greatest in the history of the competition. But a loss of form coupled with a number of wrist injuries saw Nicholson slide further and further down the rankings and for the last few years he has had to watch from the sidelines as the sport and the TV competitions continued to grow in stature, global reach and finance. Nicholson even fell off the tour completely at the end of 2016, but instantly regained his Tour Card at 2017 Q-School. Since then, he has quietly set about rebuilding his career and on Friday afternoon, 'The Asset' will make his long-awaited return to the World Championship stage.
  2. The 26th edition of the PDC World Championships rolls into town on Thursday, as darts fans are treated to 18 days of pure tungsten theatre. Rob Cross stunned the sporting world last year, winning the World Championships in his debut year. He thrashed the retiring 16-time world champion Phil Taylor in the final 7-2 to claim his first world title. 'Voltage' will look to join an elite list of players to successfully defend the world title, but he will have to be at his very best to deny pre-tournament favourite Michael van Gerwen. Cross beat Mighty Mike in an exhilarating semi-final last year and the Dutchman is desperate to add a third world crown at the Alexandra Palace. Also looking to become a three-time world champion is Gary Anderson who has won three major titles this year and is many people's tip to win the title. James Wade, Daryl Gurney and Gerwyn Price have all won major TV tournaments this year as well and will fancy their chances of success, while world number three Peter Wright, Premier League finalist Michael Smith and World Matchplay runner-up Mensur Suljovic must not be ruled out.
  3. Bot

    Gym shapes up for toy appeal boost

    The Paramount Health and Fitness Gym in Bedlington is supporting the Salvation Army’s Christmas toy appeal for disadvantaged children.
  4. Northumberland has won Gold at the British Travel Awards and picked up the coveted title of “Best UK Holiday County/Destination of the Year”.
  5. A bouncer accused of battering a teenage girl in Perdu has been BARRED from working the doors. The Diamond Strip haunt sacked the bouncer after a Facebook clip of the alleged attack on Lauryn Parker went viral. The 19-year-old claimed the Halloween attack left her bruised and "scared" to go out in Newcastle. Now the doorman has been told he can't legally work on the door of pubs and clubs - although he can appeal. "We have suspended his licence and he cannot legally work in any licensable sector," said a spokesperson for bouncer watchdog the Security Industry Authority. "He has 21 days to appeal our decision.”
  6. Outline plans for new homes in the open countryside to the west of Bedlington have been thrown out by councillors.
  7. Plans for new homes in the open countryside to the west of Bedlington have been thrown out by councillors. The application, for up to 11 detached, two-storey houses on land north-west of Blue House Farm, Netherton Colliery, was turned down at a meeting of the Cramlington, Bedlington and Seaton Valley Local Area Council, where it had been recommended for refusal. In line with the planning officer's advice, the bid was rejected as the site is outside any settlement boundary and therefore in the open countryside. The other two reasons were that the proposal would cause substantial harm to the setting of the grade II-listed Blue House Farmhouse and that it had 'failed to address concerns in regards to highways safety and parking provision at the site'. West Bedlington Parish Council had objected on the grounds that it was outside the settlement boundary, while one neighbour, who lives to the south-east of the proposed site, had raised concerns regarding overlooking and construction traffic during the build phase. However, when pre-application advice was sought last year, the response from the council planners was "mostly supportive of the principle of development on this site".
  8. A scheme for hundreds of new homes in Bedlington has been given the nod once again, despite concerns about the linked package of infrastructure improvements.
  9. A scheme for hundreds of new homes in Bedlington has been given the nod once again, despite concerns about the linked package of infrastructure improvements. The outline application, for up to 500 homes on land south-west of Glebe Farm, off Choppington Road, was first approved last year, but there were several outstanding issues to iron out. These have now been dealt with, but given that the Government issued a new version of its planning rules - the NPPF - in the summer, the bid was brought back to this month's meeting of Northumberland County Council's strategic planning committee. The planning officers' advice hadn't changed and the scheme was still recommended for approval, with members voting to grant permission by 10 votes to two, with one abstention. Earlier in the meeting, Coun Christine Taylor, of West Bedlington Town Council, had raised fears about the site access from Choppington Road, where 'traffic numbers are increasing regularly' and another new development is planned a mile up the road. One of the issues dealt with since the previous approvals was the section 106 legal agreement, which will secure 15 per cent affordable housing, a £1.33million education contribution, £346,500 for healthcare and £229,000 for sports and leisure.
  10. A man has appeared in court accused of a string of driving offences after a bus and car crashed in Byker. Four people had to be taken to hospital after a single decker Stagecoach bus and a silver Renault car collided on Clifford Street at around 8.50am on Tuesday. A 26-year-old woman is believed to be in a serious condition and is being treated at the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle. Andre Langley has been charged with driving a motor vehicle when above the alcohol limit, careless driving without due care and attention, driving whilst disqualified, driving without insurance and failing to stop after a road accident. The 24-year-old, of Molineux Court, Heaton, Newcastle, appeared at South East Northumberland Magistrates' Court on Wednesday. He was remanded in custody before his next appearance at Newcastle Crown Court on December 12.
  11. Work on the multimillion-pound redevelopment of Bedlington town centre, which is estimated will create more than 180 new jobs, has officially started.
  12. Two men are due in court after a 19-year-old was allegedly stabbed in Newcastle. Stanhope Street, in Arthur's Hill, Newcastle, was cordoned off in the early hours of Sunday morning after police were called following reports that a 19-year-old had been assaulted on the street. Ambulances, police cars and forensics officers were spotted by early risers as the investigation got under way. The injured man was taken to Newcastle's Royal Victoria Infirmary with injuries consistent with a stabbing. His condition is described as stable. Police launched an investigation and, at around 4am on Sunday morning, arrested two men aged 21 and 23. They have since been charged and are scheduled to appear at Bedlington Magistrates' Court on Monday afternoon.
  13. A police investigation is under way after a shocking video emerged of a bouncer allegedly assaulting a teenage girl in a Newcastle nightclub. Lauryn Parker claims she was left bruised after a bouncer repeatedly kneed her on a flight of stairs in Perdu. The 19-year-old said the incident has left her too "scared" to have a night out in the city. Perdu sacked the bouncer after footage of the incident was viewed by more than 350,000 people on Facebook. Now, Northumbria Police has launched an investigation into the incident. A Northumbria Police spokesman said: “We can confirm officers are investigating a report of an assault at a premises on Collingwood Street in Newcastle on Wednesday (October 31).
  14. A bouncer has been sacked after a shocking clip emerged of him allegedly assaulting a teenage girl in Perdu. Lauryn Parker, 19, claims a burly bouncer left her bruised and battered after repeatedly KNEEING her in the Diamond Strip nightspot. She was celebrating Halloween dressed as a bunny when the alleged attack unfolded. A Facebook clip of the incident has already been viewed over 365,000 times and Lauryn claims: "I'm too scared to go out in Newcastle now. "I've got bruises, grab marks on my arm and what looks like shoeprints on my legs. "I keep thinking it could have been a lot worse. He was just so strong and wouldn't stop."
  15. Bot

    From the Army to top business list

    A former lieutenant colonel, who grew up in the Bedlington area, has been included on a list of the UK’s most ambitious business leaders.
  16. Bot

    Fundraiser in appeal for book support

    A Bedlington fundraiser is aiming to help people with sight loss.
  17. Bot

    Contractor chosen for major scheme

    A key Bedlington town centre development has reached an important milestone as Tolent Construction Ltd has been appointed the main contractor.
  18. Northumberland Libraries is encouraging residents to make the most of the internet as part of national Get Online Week from October 15 - October 21.
  19. A North East MP has demanded the "immediate scrapping" of controversial benefit Universal Credit. The system will worsen child poverty, increase homelessness and even lead to people taking their own lives, Wansbeck MP Ian Lavery has claimed. Former Prime Minister Gordon Brown warned the country could face "chaos" similar to the poll tax riots if the national roll out continues, in the Daily Mirror today, He branded the welfare reforms a "cruel and vindictive" experiment that will exacerbate the "convulsions" of Brexit and risk public disorder. The Government says the reforms ensure working is worthwhile for claimants and simplifies the benefits system. But opponents believe it leaves claimants worse-off, and creates delays which leave people waiting for much-needed cash. Now, Labour Party Chair Ian Lavery has called for an end to Universal Credit, predicting dire consequences for Northumberland if the roll out goes head.
  20. Bot

    Works completed at Old School site

    A residential site development offering new, high-quality homes for affordable rent in Bedlington has been completed.
  21. ​Northumberland County Council have published revised budget proposals for 2019-2022 following Cabinet approval.
  22. Bot

    Changes to bin collections

    Changes to bin collection days for more than 27,000 residents are being introduced in the county.
  23. News that pub giant Wetherspoon is to host a 12-day ale and cider festival will be bringing a smile to the faces of customers this autumn. From October 10 to 21, 10 of the company's pubs in and around Newcastle will be inviting customers to enjoy a Real Ale & Cider Festival - and with a selection of up to 30 beers on offer from independent British craft brewers, there certainly will be plenty to enjoy. Each of the brewers involved is a member of the Society of Independent Brewers and some of the beers to be served will be award-winners while others are brewed exclusively for the festival. Kristopher Lee, manager of The Quayside Wetherspoon branch in Newcastle, said: "The festival is the perfect opportunity to showcase the wonderful range of beers from independent British craft brewers. "It will give people the opportunity to enjoy a superb selection of the beers that they brew, many of which have not been served in the pub before." Ales on offer will include Blueberry Classic Bitter, from Coach House; Jurassic Dark (Dorset), Jemima's Pitchfork (Glamorgan), Freddy Brewger (Robinsons), Hope & Glory (Brentwood), Hop Twister (Salopian), Big Job (St Austell) and Wheel of Fortune (Castle Rock).
  24. Northumberland County Council today confirmed that they will build a stand-alone leisure centre in Berwick, separate to the planned new hospital. Councillor Peter Jackson, Leader of Northumberland County Council said: “The feedback from the people of Berwick is clear - they don’t want a co-located site - and we’re acting on that. “We’re fully committed to making sure Berwick gets the very best, and I have promised that the County Council will build a brand new state of the art leisure facility on the Swan Centre site. We will keep our promise, and continue to listen to our residents through the planning stages.” This announcement replaces previous plans for a joint site. Integrated and coordinated working will proceed where appropriate, but all the services will not be co-located on one site. This followed strong representations by the three Berwick county councillors and the wider community. Following requests by the three local councillors, additional investment is also being considered for a potential extra care development alongside the new hospital. This would support provision of services to vulnerable and older people in Berwick. Peter Jackson added: “After 50 years of inaction in Berwick, there will be £45 million invested in the town – our own investment of £20 million in a brand new state of the art leisure centre, and £25 million has been passed onto the Northumbria Healthcare Trust.”
  25. Concerned police are appealing for help to find a missing Romanian woman who went missing from her Bedlington home. Maria Stoica was reported missing in the early hours of Wednesday morning and officers are urgently appealing for help to find her. A Northumbria Police statement said: "Officers in Bedlington are concerned for the welfare of Maria Stoica...who has been reported missing from her home in the town since the early hours." Maria is Romanian and speaks very little English, the statement adds. The 36-year-old is described as 5ft tall, of thin build with shoulder-length light-brown hair and tanned skin. She was last seen early on the morning of October 3 and was wearing a two-tone blue coat with a hood and black leggings.
×
×
  • Create New...