What Is Wrong With Using Whatever Software Technology Is Available?

Mr Darn

Bear with me as I disgress!

I have heard, and seen quite a few criticisms of "Cleaning software".

But never do I seem to se a good clear reason, why it is such a bad thing!

As I have said before, I consider myself an absolute dud when it comes to software, and information in general.

So, whenever I am about to make any kind of move in the field, I get advice, lots of advice. And thre is a lot of it available to me.

Both of my sons are professionally trained I people, and for the last 15 or so years of my working career, I was one of four owners of a very successful software company in Toronto. So if I need help, I usually know where to go.

And when I moved into Vista this year, I listened, and followed the advice given.

Stick to good proven software. Stay away from unknown, untested websites.

Install McAfee or a similar screening system, install Winferno or a similar scanning and deletion system.

Never leave your computer running when not in use.

Schedule constant scanning from McaFee, schedule weekly scanning by Winferno, compact all drives at 30 day intervals. And I know that I have other protective systems built in by my two overly protective kids if I ever got into trouble because of an unnoticed virus, other little !*!@# .

Result: In the last fifteen years, I have never had any problems, except those caused by my own stupidity. But never from an external cause.

So, I am not trying to be a smsrt alec or anything. But would someone please explain to this fast aging precomputer

aging non-Geek just what is wrong with using whatever software technology is available?

Just thought I should ask!

Regards, Joe

Taken from HERE

My 2 cents in a few hours,

not a bad can of worms to open there joe! ;)

Taken from HERE

My 2 cents in a few hours,

not a bad can of worms to open there joe! ;)

'Cos people do daft things with computers and often need protecting from themselves.

Other daft things people do:

Pay any attention at all to spam. If people treated it the way it deserves it would be a pointless exercise and disappear. But there's one idiot in a million who reads spam and buys something from a spammer; as a result everyone suffers.

Run executables (particularly e-mail attachments) without any regard for where they originate from and without scanning them.

Respond to phishing e-mails requesting you provide bank log-in details on a webpage with a weird looking URL.

Send money to someone you've never heard of in the belief that they'll send you large sums of money back, and even do this without picking the phone up to the well-know organisation that is giving the prize. And, from a competition you can't even remember entering in the first place! :)

More?

Personally i try to stay away from the bigger names, with the exception of Microsoft, but even them i'm considering leaving.

the thing is, to keep their products new, they have to keep adding stuff. the older programs are now so full of cr@p i would believe you if you told me the programmers dont know what half the stuff is there for anymore... they just leave it there coz it still works.

common examples are:

Norton

Windows

AOL

these programs are trying so hard to impress these days they are a HUGE drain on system resources, and take up lots of room installing themselves, all for a "not so brilliant" result in software form.

i believe the main bulk of their problems comes from out-dated coding mixed with new ideas, when a complete rewrite could be a much better idea. (my opinion and nothing to back it up with...)

it's a godsend when simple programs come along that do what they say on the box, like ccleaner.

another good example is the VLC Media player. simple to use, and full of codecs, so you dont have to go hunting when WMP decides it wont play .avi files when loaded with vista.

i like media players that play all the media you throw at them, anti-virus software that works with as little intervention from me as possible, and cleaners that actually clean, not make a big song and dance about something that it can do nothing about anyways. And if i can get it free, all the better.

Rant over...for now! ;)

The only software company I've had problems with is Norton, the original program was just fine but the "upgrade" when renewing was a disaster, it took over month to get my 'puter back to normal. I'm running the free AVG 8 on this laptop and Norton on my desktop, also Spybot Search and Destroy and AD-aware 6.

Vic

my computer came with norton pre-installed, and the recovery disk puts it back on too.

when i asked if i could have the PC without norton i was told no, because they actually pay the store to include the software, and a norton free system would cost an extra £120. (for an XP disk)

Took a LONG time to completly rid my machine of it, and even now i dont think its all gone...

..there's a little bit of norton still lurking somewhere!

...it's a godsend when simple programs come along that do what they say on the box, like ccleaner.

another good example is the VLC Media player. simple to use, and full of codecs, so you dont have to go hunting when WMP decides it wont play .avi files when loaded with vista.

i like media players that play all the media you throw at them, anti-virus software that works with as little intervention from me as possible, and cleaners that actually clean, not make a big song and dance about something that it can do nothing about anyways. And if i can get it free, all the better.

So, we'll be getting some software reviews then? ;)

perhaps, once i learn how to do the clever little doggy thing ;)

Had a conversation with my youngest son, Sean who lives and works in Toronto.

He is in the IT business, and now that he is 41, and has a few grey hairs to show for it, and what he gets for running his own 12 man consulting firm, I am beginningt to think that maybe he isn't quite the wldly enthusiastic kid he used to be. He certainly knows me too well.

Anyway,I was telling him about my email of the other day, nd when I was finished, he took a deep breath and began to tell me what I never seem to remember.

According to Sean, I am an oldtimer "Mainframem freak". I will never see any computer as anything more than a highspeed communications tool. As he says, I expect it to provide highspeed internet connections, give fast communuication service,do a good job of maintaining my Investment records, act as a simple typwriter, and provide fast and exhaustive search capabilities.

My computer never has been, nor is it likely to be, a toy for games, a substitute for my entertainment centre, certainly not for downloading (ie Stealing) music.

Aside from the relatively small amount of photographic storage and manipulation that my wife does, there is no need for any type of graphics card, or anything which does not assist in gaining, gathering, manipulating, and enjoying data, be it Alpha or numeric.

I have to admit that he is right, I never have seen the computer as anything but a very useful tool, so toys and games, and music have no place in any of systems.

I am well aware that non professional, and considerable professional resources are directed towards these pursuits, it's just that I don't have any interest in pursuing them.

It dosen't make a bad old git, just one who enjoys pursuing old interests, at the greatly incresased speeds facilitated by modern technology.

So, since I am not interested in it, I don't spend any time examining other sytems or aapproaches that might be of great interest to people who do!

Sorry about that mini-rant.

Just thought that I should tell that. Dull though it might be.

At least my kids are a little more accepting of what Ihave usually seen as an awful waste of computer resources.

Regards, Joe

joe, with all due respect, i think you have the perfect system....

as you say, if you dont need all these high spec gadgets, why have them?

If all your after is a browsing experience compiled with a letter writer, then there is no need for spending thousands of pounds on top spec machines, and more power to you for realizing it!

reminds me of the advert, where it pans round a huge system with huge flat-screen monitor, 15 speaker surround sound system, neon lights and lots of cool gadgets, before panning all the way round to the screen, with the guy playing solitaire! Classic!

my dad made a good point the other day... why dont they make a mobile that just has 12 keys, one for each number, a 'green phone' to answer the b$$%$% thing, and a 'red phone' to hang it up. None of these fancy letter sending thingies or t'internet, just a plain old phone you can ring your lass on when you've had enough to drink.

Fair point made there too i think... ;)

my dad made a good point the other day... why dont they make a mobile that just has 12 keys, one for each number, a 'green phone' to answer the b$$%$% thing, and a 'red phone' to hang it up. None of these fancy letter sending thingies or INTERNET, just a plain old phone you can ring your lass on when you've had enough to drink.

Because... BrandB would bring out one with a large illuminated drunk button to press when you were blotto and couldn't remember the numbers. Then BrandA without this "essential feature" would be screwed! :D

Complexity, just embrace it! Ignore the stuff you can't find a use for (but listen to other folks that have found a use just in case you're missing out). That's what nature does, and look where that has got us!

The only software company I've had problems with is Norton, the original program was just fine but the "upgrade" when renewing was a disaster, it took over month to get my 'puter back to normal. I'm running the free AVG 8 on this laptop and Norton on my desktop, also Spybot Search and Destroy and AD-aware 6.

Vic

Totally agree with you on that one Vic, I tried Norton's but to much conflict with other software, ended up un installing it and like you installed a free version, Avast. Avast does the job and updates on a regular basis and no subscription fee.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now