Jump to content
From the album:

Doctor Pit and Rows

  • 36 images
  • 1 comment
  • 45 image comments

Photo Information for Dr Pit 2.jpg


Recommended Comments

Dr Pit in 1912 with the surface workers posing for the photo. Note the guy on top of the headgear next to the “pulley wheels”.

This old winder house was for the steam driven winder and was replaced with the electric winder in 1921. So there was loss in production, the new winder house was built behind the old one and the electric winder commissioned. The pulley ropes from the old winder were then passed through to the new winder to the electric winder and the old winder house with its chimney was demolished. (Information taken from James Tuck’s book “The Collieries of Northumberland”)

We know that any photo of the Dr Pit showing the white brick built winder house was taken after 1921.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...