Men from the Dr. Pit Colliery formed Bedlington Mechanics FC in 1949, initially playing in the Northumberland Miners Welfare League before entering the Northern Combination in 1952. They won the Northumberland Minor Cup in 1954 and were league champions the following season which enabled them to be promoted into the Northern Alliance where they remained for the next 8 seasons. Home games were played in the centre of the town at Millne Park, the land was owned by Jimmy Millne, a successful local businessman and he provided a very generous arrangement with the Committee. However, in the early 1960’s there was a dispute and the Mechanics had to relocate to the “A Pit” Welfare Park at Bedlington Station. Sadly, crowds dwindled and income fell to such an extent that in 1963 they were forced to disband.