New Power Station At Cambois ......

Of course we've probably all heard the story that NPower want to build a new power-station at Cambois to replace the old coal fired plant. As I understand it at present, it's only the local council and possibly NCC that are holding it up. Local's definitely don't want it - but it more than likely will happen.

Anyway - the latest rumour according to my dad (still a Cambois resident) is that they won't be building on the site of the old station as the land is contaminated . With what ? God knows what - but it seems that the new site is to be near to where the old Cambois Park used to be - basically along from the old raliway sheds, which are still there.

There does seem to be an air of resignation down there, that it will be built - probably once the local councillors have had enough sweetners (and I'm not talking about the tea/coffee variety). It's a shame if it does go ahead as there's a lot of prime land at Cambois which is ripe for redevelopment. However it seems destined to remain an industrial zone rather than the pleasant place to live that it should be.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Geordie - what are they proposing to fuel it with?

It was said to be Clean Coal technology in the original piece from The Evening Chronicle - Gas has also been mentioned. However there are still rumours of the Nuclear option. :unsure: If that latter is true then it's very worrying indeed.

It was said to be Clean Coal technology in the original piece from The Evening Chronicle - Gas has also been mentioned. However there are still rumours of the Nuclear option. :unsure: If that latter is true then it's very worrying indeed.

Yes thats right coal they'll be opening up The Big E next,then Bedlington.Rebuilding Netherton etc etc

why is nuclear so bad how many disasters has there been taking into account how many power station there are world wide? that right 1! so what is the problem? your more likely to die from crossing the road or using public transport!!!

why is nuclear so bad how many disasters has there been taking into account how many power station there are world wide? that right 1! so what is the problem? your more likely to die from crossing the road or using public transport!!!

Remember Chernobyl,need I say more :(

Sorry, but I'd not be too comfortable living with a nuclear power station on my doorstep (or that of my parents').

As for coal - the bizarre thing is that they are now importing coal from Poland and Bolivia to be used at Alcan. Why did the close Ellington again ? :-/

Anyway - the latest rumour according to my dad (still a Cambois resident) is that they won't be building on the site of the old station as the land is contaminated . With what ? God knows what -

I remember the old station being built, for months on end jackhammer's were used to drive piles deep into the ground, not easily removed.

No one wants a nuclear plant on their doorstep, but they have to be built somewhere.

If it was built 100 miles away, would anyone here complain then? No... but at the end of the day, nuclear is the way things are going. If you don't like it, write to Gordon Brown.

It doesn't matter whether it's a nuclear plant, coal plant, sea turbines or wind farms theres always people who will complain.

I remember watching the news a while ago, some toffs were complaining about a planned wind farm being built on some hills on the horizon - which they could see from their windows. They lived in the middle of nowhere, it was a small community. Anyway, their reasons for objecting was "When we look at them for a period of time, we get dizzy" and "Ohhh it will devalue our homes". I bet they were more than happy for them to be plonked somewhere else though.

!*!@# idiots.

Guest MONGO
Of course we've probably all heard the story that NPower want to build a new power-station at Cambois

great news hopefully it will explode and take cambois down with it

what a dump

Guest missvic
No one wants a nuclear plant on their doorstep, but they have to be built somewhere.

If it was built 100 miles away, would anyone here complain then? No... but at the end of the day, nuclear is the way things are going. If you don't like it, write to Gordon Brown.

It doesn't matter whether it's a nuclear plant, coal plant, sea turbines or wind farms theres always people who will complain.

I remember watching the news a while ago, some toffs were complaining about a planned wind farm being built on some hills on the horizon - which they could see from their windows. They lived in the middle of nowhere, it was a small community. Anyway, their reasons for objecting was "When we look at them for a period of time, we get dizzy" and "Ohhh it will devalue our homes". I bet they were more than happy for them to be plonked somewhere else though.

!*!@# idiots.

Please tell the man in charge that I'd be happy to have a wind turbine in me back garden, but not a nuclear power plant. Thanks :D

Guest MONGO
Please tell the man in charge that I'd be happy to have a wind turbine in me back garden, but not a nuclear power plant. Thanks :D

its not going to be in your back garden is it no its going to be at cambois

best place for it if you ask me ha ha ha

but it would be better if they blew up cambois and put 1 great big power plant there instead of a little one

You do realise that Cambo and Cambois are different places, don't you?

Either way, your comments regarding blowing the place up strike me as rather foolish.

No offence.

On a serious note, wouldnt blowing it up have an effect on Bedlington? ie radioactive ash deposited on every surface, radiation poisioning for miles, and thats without the power plant ;)

Naaa, i like cambois really, i have a few friends there... please dont blow it up!

On a serious note, wouldnt blowing it up have an effect on Bedlington? ie radioactive ash deposited on every surface, radiation poisioning for miles, and thats without the power plant ;)

Naaa, i like cambois really, i have a few friends there... please dont blow it up!

you must know every one in cambois then! :lol:

you must know every one in cambois then! :lol:

I was reading a report in the paper yesterday, about the retired singer Anne Murray.

She was complaining about the province of Nova Scotia building a farm of windmill generators out to sea.

Said it spoiled the view from her favourite golf course!

To which the province said "Tough", there are a few more Nova Scotians who need power, than there are singers, who don't!

Joe.

doesn't the prospect of new jobs to the area not over ride stupid fears of it melting down in some freak accident? if so why do you live under the flight path of newcastle airport? does the threat of airplanes landing on your house not keep you awake at night? :angry:

doesn't the prospect of new jobs to the area not over ride stupid fears of it melting down in some freak accident? if so why do you live under the flight path of newcastle airport? does the threat of airplanes landing on your house not keep you awake at night? :angry:

You have kids? If you have why do you want a nuclear plant on your doorstep,radio-active pollution etc and don't try and tell me that they are safe.And if you think that if it blows up it will only take down Cambois......well nuff said.

By the way flight paths for airport are about 6 miles away,jus cos you look up an see a plane don't mean it over here :lol:

Doesn't the prospect of Bin Ladens fanatics running your nuclear reactor fill you with fear.Where else are you going to find the staff other than abroad,cos I'm damn sure that Bedlington job centre isn't overflowing with nuclear power station qualified personel.Think about it :(

Doesn't the prospect of Bin Ladens fanatics running your nuclear reactor fill you with fear.Where else are you going to find the staff other than abroad,cos I'm damn sure that Bedlington job centre isn't overflowing with nuclear power station qualified personel.Think about it :(

homer simpson can run one so theres hope for us just! :lol: :lol:

I was reading a report in the paper yesterday, about the retired singer Anne Murray.

She was complaining about the province of Nova Scotia building a farm of windmill generators out to sea.

Said it spoiled the view from her favourite golf course!

To which the province said "Tough", there are a few more Nova Scotians who need power, than there are singers, who don't!

Joe.

People lament the demise of the colliery's Joe, and then complain about the wind farms and other power plants that follow. Everyone wants the convenience of power but not on their doorstep.

People lament the demise of the colliery's Joe, and then complain about the wind farms and other power plants that follow. Everyone wants the convenience of power but not on their doorstep.

It would be rather wearisome.....wind technology, link it to Mongo gish ;)

Oh yes! The everpopular "NIMBY" ( Not in my back yard!)

Joe

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now