Bedlington

Ex Bedlington lad here - used to contribute on the old forum and have just stumbled across this place tonight. Have lived away from the town now for 3 years (my ma still lives near the Bank Top though). Sadly the place doesn't seem to have changed much during that time and if it all in the last 10 years. Save for the amount of new houses that seem to be sprouting up pretty much everywhere.

The Front Street looks to be a pale shadow of what it used to be and that's definitely the right phrase to use for a Sat night in Bedlington. Seems as if it's only 5 years or so since it used to be cracking tour on a Sat night. People seem to have moved on elsewhere (Morpeth) whilst Bedlington pubs remain full of underage kids/charvas. Also - the less said about the Station, the better. I had heard it got done up a bit, but it just turns out that The Clayton had a new window put in. ;):lol:

Oh and the Perry's seem to be wanting to have their fingers in lots of pies. Last year, a plan was submitted to build flats (a Bail Hostel) on land at the back of my mam's house (on Melrose Ave) - thankfully it got thrown out. You'd think these lads would have made more than enough money to keep them going from 'running' the football club for 10 years......

Hope this isn't coming over as having a go at the place (I'm not) - just more concerned with the direction or lack of one which the town seems to be suffering from. Is this the fault of WDC, or are there other reasons ? Bedlington has the potential to be as vibrant as Morpeth, but falls a long way short at the moment.

Oh and of course - The Christmas Lights ! :unsure:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ex Bedlington lad here - used to contribute on the old forum and have just stumbled across this place tonight. Have lived away from the town now for 3 years (my ma still lives near the Bank Top though). Sadly the place doesn't seem to have changed much during that time and if it all in the last 10 years. Save for the amount of new houses that seem to be sprouting up pretty much everywhere.

The Front Street looks to be a pale shadow of what it used to be and that's definitely the right phrase to use for a Sat night in Bedlington. Seems as if it's only 5 years or so since it used to be cracking tour on a Sat night. People seem to have moved on elsewhere (Morpeth) whilst Bedlington pubs remain full of underage kids/charvas. Also - the less said about the Station, the better. I had heard it got done up a bit, but it just turns out that The Clayton had a new window put in. ;):lol:

Oh and the Perry's seem to be wanting to have their fingers in lots of pies. Last year, a plan was submitted to build flats (a Bail Hostel) on land at the back of my mam's house (on Melrose Ave) - thankfully it got thrown out. You'd think these lads would have made more than enough money to keep them going from 'running' the football club for 10 years......

Hope this isn't coming over as having a go at the place (I'm not) - just more concerned with the direction or lack of one which the town seems to be suffering from. Is this the fault of WDC, or are there other reasons ? Bedlington has the potential to be as vibrant as Morpeth, but falls a long way short at the moment.

It still has its charms, just with added chav, and the Clayton has new windows every week I heard :lol:

Don't get me started on the Xmas lights!

I presume you used the same "pen name" on the old site, if so I used the estate agent you recommended on it and had very good service just as you had said, so thanks!

Yes - I had the same nic on the old site, Malcolm and I remember you posting there. Needless to say I've passed on the link for this place around my family and close friends so perhaps they'll start contributing in the coming days and weeks. Missed the old site - had some good craic on there.

We all feel the same way, well at least I do.

I moved back roughly 4 years ago, the place is OK by me; stop yer whining ;)

Its wierd, i always seem to be coming to the defence of the perrys these days!

I just wanted to add, since i had a few years at the club myself, that the club must have cost a fortune to keep running. The bar never did 'make' alot of money, even the bar turnover was reasonable, to keep the punters it had to be cheap!

The money taken from the gate served to pay for the electric used by the lights, and the players wages, and there was not a lot left after that!

i'm sure the 'profit' made was not nearly enough to cover the renovation of the bar, nor the erection (yes denzel, Erection!) of the stands.

I can say from personal experience, Keith at least Loved the club with all his heart, and funneled a great deal of money into the place to keep it going as long as he did.

As for the rest of bedlington, when i was a kid there was a choice of things to do, between the local youth clubs and just amongst my friends. Where i grew up tho, a big group of kids was considered to be a good thing, as we were all safe, and should an old lady need a hand with something, ie their garden, several of us used to go trowel in hand for no more of a reward than all the pop we could drink and a 20p mix-up! Now, my nephew has resorted to taking his bike apart and putting it back together, as all his friends are on MSN or playing on their PSP's.

My point is, All their is to do for them these days is hang around in bus shelters or stay in their rooms!

My, What a rant! i'll stop now, i need a breath...

Its wierd, i always seem to be coming to the defence of the perrys these days!

I just wanted to add, since i had a few years at the club myself, that the club must have cost a fortune to keep running. The bar never did 'make' alot of money, even the bar turnover was reasonable, to keep the punters it had to be cheap!

The money taken from the gate served to pay for the electric used by the lights, and the players wages, and there was not a lot left after that!

i'm sure the 'profit' made was not nearly enough to cover the renovation of the bar, nor the erection (yes denzel, Erection!) of the stands.

I can say from personal experience, Keith at least Loved the club with all his heart, and funneled a great deal of money into the place to keep it going as long as he did.

As for the rest of bedlington, when i was a kid there was a choice of things to do, between the local youth clubs and just amongst my friends. Where i grew up tho, a big group of kids was considered to be a good thing, as we were all safe, and should an old lady need a hand with something, ie their garden, several of us used to go trowel in hand for no more of a reward than all the pop we could drink and a 20p mix-up! Now, my nephew has resorted to taking his bike apart and putting it back together, as all his friends are on MSN or playing on their PSP's.

My point is, All their is to do for them these days is hang around in bus shelters or stay in their rooms!

My, What a rant! i'll stop now, i need a breath...

Thats why W.D.C. insisted that no Perry's were involved in any capacity with the club,before the council would help them out with any money!!!!!!!!! It was the only club to have a scaffold business through it's books!!!!!!!!!! The demolition business went down the pan,the roofing business went down the pan.They went bust after they built Perystone Mews not paying any contractors.They knock down a listed building to build flats,even though there were objections,none sold at the minute and they went bust not paying contractors again,Oh yes and The Terrier burnt down on the only night in three years that they weren't there.But for all that Canny lads really :lol: :lol:

Yes - I had the same nic on the old site, Malcolm and I remember you posting there. Needless to say I've passed on the link for this place around my family and close friends so perhaps they'll start contributing in the coming days and weeks. Missed the old site - had some good craic on there.

Welcome back Big Geordie.

Thats why W.D.C. insisted that no Perry's were involved in any capacity with the club,before the council would help them out with any money!!!!!!!!! It was the only club to have a scaffold business through it's books!!!!!!!!!! The demolition business went down the pan,the roofing business went down the pan.They went bust after they built Perystone Mews not paying any contractors.They knock down a listed building to build flats,even though there were objections,none sold at the minute and they went bust not paying contractors again,Oh yes and The Terrier burnt down on the only night in three years that they weren't there.But for all that Canny lads really :lol::lol:

Cant argue with those numbers!

Yup - The Terrier catching fire was always very dodgy looking. Wasn't there supposed to be a message scrawled on a car which said something alone the lines of 'No Drugs, No Pub'. Wasn't even aware The Terrier had a drugs problem at that time !

Yup - The Terrier catching fire was always very dodgy looking. Wasn't there supposed to be a message scrawled on a car which said something alone the lines of 'No Drugs, No Pub'. Wasn't even aware The Terrier had a drugs problem at that time !

Momma Perry's favourite pub was the Terrier. :blink:

Oh - and is it the Perry's who are building the flats where The Domino used to be ?

I remember the car thing but not sure of the wording.

Don't know if they are involved with the buildings on the former Domino site,but nothing would surprise me!

Did you know they are connected with the wheel clamping in Bedlington.Watch out Perry's about :lol: :lol:

Guest MONGO
Did you know they are connected with the wheel clamping in Bedlington.Watch out Perry's about :lol::lol:

a bit slow but youl get there in the end :lol:

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now