Front Street

Anyone have or know where I can find pics of the Front Street in the 60's?

Lots and lots of photos of students / teachers and even cleaners of Bedlington grammar school from the 20s to the 70s. Every year throughout the 60s is covered... don't know about photos of Bedlington Front Street but you might recognise a few faces!

http://www.sempersursum.co.uk/photolibraryintro.htm

Guest missvic

Do you know the location of the engine house? I can't think where it was, especially with the big gas thingy...

I found these the other day http://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/B...n_C4.htm#005541

A bit older than the 60's but worth a look

Also on the site, some school diearies from the West End school in he 1800's: http://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/Bedlington_C13.htm somewhere it mentions the poor attendance and performance of the children... who said the times have changed?!

There was also a drift mine, which probably went under the new police station.

I remember hearing alot of talk back when the police station was being built about that mine, apparently that building stands on huge stilts hammered into the earth to bypass the possibility of subsidence caused by the mine... but back to the topic... i aint got any photos, but my mother does, i'll see what i can get scanned...

I remember hearing alot of talk back when the police station was being built about that mine, apparently that building stands on huge stilts hammered into the earth to bypass the possibility of subsidence caused by the mine... but back to the topic... i aint got any photos, but my mother does, i'll see what i can get scanned...

Apparenntly it stands on the old pit shaft,maybe one day it,ll disappear down it,with no one in it of course :blink: (they'll all be out chasing smokers :lol: )Then maybe we'll get summit useful built on the land, hairdressers,estate agents................................. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the pics but it is really the 1960's I need, it is to do with the latest THI bid but why they want them from then I don't quite know?

Question:

In Cympil's latest set the "Nail" has steps leading up to the platform, why? I always thought it was just "statue" type errection( now now Denzil!) but obviousley there must have been some sort of "use" where access was needed?

Thanks for the pics but it is really the 1960's I need, it is to do with the latest THI bid but why they want them from then I don't quite know?

Question:

In Cympil's latest set the "Nail" has steps leading up to the platform, why? I always thought it was just "statue" type errection( now now Denzil!) but obviousley there must have been some sort of "use" where access was needed?

Hur-hur, like he said 'erection' dude.

Apparenntly it stands on the old pit shaft,maybe one day it,ll disappear down it,with no one in it of course :blink: (they'll all be out chasing smokers :lol: )Then maybe we'll get summit useful built on the land, hairdressers,estate agents................................. :rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol:

Question:

I believe the 'nail' was first 'erected' as a podium for the town crier.... like in the days before t'internet, newspapers etc. People would gather all round and the crier would walk all the way around addressing the whole crowd... at least thats what i was told :unsure:

I believe the 'nail' was first 'erected' as a podium for the town crier.... like in the days before t'internet, newspapers etc. People would gather all round and the crier would walk all the way around addressing the whole crowd... at least thats what i was told :unsure:

Was the 'Nail' not where the council of the time would have collected taxes from the market traders? Hence the term 'Paying on the nail'!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now