Douglass House

19 hours ago, Ann Dobson said:

Hi I'm researching my family tree and have come across a "Douglass House, Netherton Lane, Bedlington" listed as the place of death in 1923 for my GG grandfather.  I cant seem to find anything online.

Many thanks

Ann

@Ann Dobson - the name - Douglass House - does not ring any bells with me. I will ask around. 

Are you from the Bedlington, or surrounding area?  

Hi Ann,

I lived in Netherton Lane as a small child in the early 1960s. Although I don't remember that name, I don't think that there are very many older houses along there. (I could be wrong!)

It might be worth a walk along there. You never know, the name may still be on the house!

Good luck with your search!

2 hours ago, Ann Dobson said:

Hi Alan, thanks for getting back to me.  I’m just down the road in Blyth. Found GG grandparents living in Bedlington /Netherton.  1800s and early 1900s 

I was just making sure you were reasonably local so if I did find anything out you would understand the area I was talking about.:)

I've asked on the Facebook group, Bygone Bedlington, if anyone has heard of Douglass House, Netherton Lane but as yet no one has said they have.

When you look at the old maps there are no streets of houses on Netherton Lane on the 1921 map.

2081816488_NethertonLane1921.thumb.jpg.4198808d5f5d11ad8f806e55a6adece4.jpg

The 1938 map shows the outline of a street and I assume that has to be Ridge Villas that are still there today. The Ridge Villas houses are not council houses so I suppose it s possible that these 'private' houses had names but the 1938 map  suggests, as they are not filled in with diagonal lines, they were unoccupied in 1938.

2119337347_NethertonLane1938.thumb.jpg.61318c72918671272f106c2ab1bb551f.jpg

This is the 1938 map next to the current Google maps aerial view :-1028149779_Project1(1).thumb.jpg.f4d4b821114b359de80c881dce1d55b6.jpg

If there are any comments worth passing on from the Bygone Bedlington Facebook group I will update you.

• Thanks 1

Hi Ann, welcome to the forum. I vaguely recall it being part of the Red House Farm buildings but I'm not 100% sure. One way to locate unknown adresses is to follow the enumerator's route on his census rounds. If you let me have some details of your GG grandfather I'll see if I can help you (name, approx. year of birth and even occupation can be a good start). You can message me if you don't want to post details on site.

14 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

I was just making sure you were reasonably local so if I did find anything out you would understand the area I was talking about.:)

I've asked on the Facebook group, Bygone Bedlington, if anyone has heard of Douglass House, Netherton Lane but as yet no one has said they have.

When you look at the old maps there are no streets of houses on Netherton Lane on the 1921 map.

2081816488_NethertonLane1921.thumb.jpg.4198808d5f5d11ad8f806e55a6adece4.jpg

The 1938 map shows the outline of a street and I assume that has to be Ridge Villas that are still there today. The Ridge Villas houses are not council houses so I suppose it s possible that these 'private' houses had names but the 1938 map  suggests, as they are not filled in with diagonal lines, they were unoccupied in 1938.

2119337347_NethertonLane1938.thumb.jpg.61318c72918671272f106c2ab1bb551f.jpg

This is the 1938 map next to the current Google maps aerial view :-1028149779_Project1(1).thumb.jpg.f4d4b821114b359de80c881dce1d55b6.jpg

If there are any comments worth passing on from the Bygone Bedlington Facebook group I will update you.

On 02/08/2022 at 10:04, Canny lass said:

Hi Ann, welcome to the forum. I vaguely recall it being part of the Red House Farm buildings but I'm not 100% sure. One way to locate unknown addresses is to follow the enumerator's route on his census rounds. If you let me have some details of your GG grandfather I'll see if I can help you (name, approx. year of birth and even occupation can be a good start). You can message me if you don't want to post details on site.

@Ann Dobson - did you manage to 'Message' Canny lass with the info for her to check on the census records?

Left to right: Nrs. 7, 6, 5 and 4 Netherton Lane today. Nr 7 far right is The Louge (Hairdressers). I had a look at the 1911 census and  two dwellings of the five on Netherton Lane were occupied by Douglas (possibly related). There were no numbers then but 5 must have been Douglas House with 4 rooms. Next door, at number 4 (at the far right of the picture) named "Netherton House", lived a 34 yo woman also named Douglas. She gives her civil status as married but is registered as head of the household. She has two children aged 4 and 1 yo. Strangely, she has the smallest family of all occupiers but has the largest house with 5 rooms. Could it be possible that Ann's GG grandfather was a boarder in that house? Boarders weren't unknown, even on Netherton Lane. next door was The Cottage, Netherton Lane also occupied by a female head with 2 teenage grandchildren and 2 boarders - a head teacher and a bank manager.

7,6,5,4 Netherton lLne.png

• Like 1

Hi @Canny lass and @Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) . I'm catching up with the posts and so very grateful for the info you have given me so far.  I'm really enjoying researching my family history but I don't like to just have the name if you know what I mean, I like to build a picture of moments in time for my ancestors.  I will message Colin and also reply to your message @Canny lass

Thanks

Ann

3 minutes ago, Ann Dobson said:

I will message Colin and also reply to your message @Canny lass

Thanks

Ann

@Ann Dobson are you a member of the Bygone Bedlington Facebook group? Colin is a member of that group but he isn't a member of this one.:(

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now