Moore family

My Dad Bill Moore, grew up in Bedlington. He had a bother called Leslie. They fell out ?? Approx 1964. I know very little about my Dads family as he never talked about them and he never wanted me to look them up. He sadly died 4 years ago, and I’m trying to do a family tree. I have loads of info from my Mams side, but not my Dads. My grandma ( Dads Mam) was Alice Lynn, she married William Moore and had my Dad and Leslie. She divorced my Grandad and remarried Bill Waldie.
My grandads family were originally from Southern Ireland. My Dads grandma maiden name was Muldoon, and I know he had a cousin in Bedlington with the name Muldoon.
I wonder if Leslie is still alive? Did he marry, did he have children? Why did they fall out and stop communicating?

im hoping someone can remember the family and fill in a few blanks. Thank you

Welcome to the group @Karen Gowing

I can't give you any info on the Moore family but might be able to help you with info on the Bedlington area.

Were you raised in Bedlington? Top End or Bedlington Station?

I see you have already made use on the Gallery creating your album 'Bill Moore' In the Historic Bedlington section of the gallery we have an album for the past and present Bedlington schools so it could be that there are some photos of your family in those albums. Do you know any of the schools your family went to?

Karen - I went to Westridge School (1962 to 1967) with two Muldoons who were in the same year as me,  Barry and his cousin Margaret (known as Maggie) both approx 70 years old - I'm still in contact with Barry.  If Barry and Maggie appear on the family tree you're building I'd be quite happy to email Barry to see if he has any info.

6 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

Welcome to the group @Karen Gowing

I can't give you any info on the Moore family but might be able to help you with info on the Bedlington area.

Were you raised in Bedlington? Top End or Bedlington Station?

I see you have already made use on the Gallery creating your album 'Bill Moore' In the Historic Bedlington section of the gallery we have an album for the past and present Bedlington schools so it could be that there are some photos of your family in those albums. Do you know any of the schools your family went to?

My Dad went to Whitley Memorial. I have seen a football picture of him 52-53 seniors, which was great to see. He lived with his Grandma, my great grandma Lynn on Shiny row, with his Mother Alice ( Moore, then Waldie) Nee Lynn. They moved around a lot apparently. They also lived at Lilly Avenue. His cousin was called Ralph Muldoon, who married someone called Kitty. I believe they had a son who was killed by the IRA when he was in the Army at Ireland.  I have very limited information.

Leslie Moore went into the Army and then we think he may of lived in Newcastle??

I hope someone knows of them.

1 hour ago, Symptoms said:

Karen - I went to Westridge School (1962 to 1967) with two Muldoons who were in the same year as me,  Barry and his cousin Margaret (known as Maggie) both approx 70 years old - I'm still in contact with Barry.  If Barry and Maggie appear on the family tree you're building I'd be quite happy to email Barry to see if he has any info.

Hi, my Dads cousin was called Ralph Muldoon, sorry but don’t know DOB. I imagine he would be in his 80,s . My Dad would have been 84 now 😞

2 hours ago, Karen Gowing said:

My Dad went to Whitley Memorial. I have seen a football picture of him 52-53 seniors, which was great to see. He lived with his Grandma, my great grandma Lynn on Shiny row, with his Mother Alice ( Moore, then Waldie) Nee Lynn. They moved around a lot apparently. They also lived at Lilly Avenue. His cousin was called Ralph Muldoon, who married someone called Kitty. I believe they had a son who was killed by the IRA when he was in the Army at Ireland.  I have very limited information.

Leslie Moore went into the Army and then we think he may of lived in Newcastle??

I can't help with the any of the names you have mentioned, I was brought up in the late 1940's to 1969 in the Oval area of Bedlington.

There is an album in the Gallery, Doctor Pit and Rows, with a couple of photos of Shiney Row. This is a direct link to the album :-  

Do you know the Bedlington so that when specific areas of the town are mentioned you will know where we mean?

16 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Update: Birth registered April 1936 so leslie could have been born in the first quarter of the year.

@Canny lass - I suppose Leslie could have been born anytime prior to when the birth was registered. There wasn't the rush to register prior to Family Allowance being introduced from August 1946. I think many families wouldn't have used their hard earned earnings to travel to the nearest registration office until it was really necessary. Getting from Bedlington to the Morpeth registrars might only have been a yearly event, or even less, for most families in the 1930's.

I could be wrong but I don't think there was a statutory period fro birth registrations.

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

18 hours ago, Karen Gowing said:

Checked with one of my cousins who lived in Lily Avenue in the late 1940's through to the late 1960's and unfortunately she can't remember an of the names of the families you have mentioned. - she can remember most of the family names that lived there in the late 1950's.

I remember visiting my cousins in Lily avenue in the 1950's. Back then Lily avenue dwellings were flats. My cousins lived in a downstairs flat. 

I don't know when Google Maps first started adding the house numbers when you search for a particular street but today was the first time I have noticed it (I think:rolleyes:) but you can see from the current numbering that they have all been converted into two story houses :- 

Lily Avenue.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

@Canny lass - I suppose Leslie could have been born anytime prior to when the birth was registered. There wasn't the rush to register prior to Family Allowance being introduced from August 1946. I think many families wouldn't have used their hard earned earnings to travel to the nearest registration office until it was really necessary. Getting from Bedlington to the Morpeth registrars might only have been a yearly event, or even less, for most families in the 1930's.

I could be wrong but I don't think there was a statutory period fro birth registrations.

Eggy, the Registration of Births and Deaths Act of 1874 became effective the following year whereby it became the parent’s responsibility to register the birth of their child within 42 days. Prior to this it was the registrar’s responsibilty.

8 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

Eggy, the Registration of Births and Deaths Act of 1874 became effective the following year whereby it became the parent’s responsibility to register the birth of their child within 42 days. Prior to this it was the registrar’s responsibilty.

Thankyou - I never knew that👍. I still wonder if every household, prior to Family Allowance, actually made the effort to travel to the registrar's :)

10 minutes ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

I still wonder if every household, prior to Family Allowance, actually made the effort to travel to the registrar's

There was also a fine of a few pounds for those who didn't register and that would probably cost more than the busfare.

4 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

There was also a fine of a few pounds for those who didn't register and that would probably cost more than the busfare.

I suppose most families could have had, or borrowed a bike.:innocent:

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now