Cobbledicks shop ?

Has anyone heard of Bridge End cottage or Cobbledicks on the Bedlington or Bebside Furnace bridge area?

On the Bygone Bedlington Facebook group these are a couple of the comments that were posted :- 

Untitled2.thumb.png.9ecb27bfdd026a5a7d65f2f8726906a0.png

Untitled.png.ff645afd487c7eedc973e0e203dfd1ce.png

Looking at the maps that @Canny lass posted during the research she did around that area (small buildings at the end of the Furnace Bridge? topic) there are no rows of cottages and on the 1858 diagram of the area from Evan Martin's book - 'Bedlington Iron & Engine Works 1736-1867'  there isn't a row of cottages.

1858withtext.thumb.jpg.61d55ea1ee828ab57e46fd798b27a707.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

Bridge End, prior to 1912 called Bridge End House, is the house at the end of the Bridge on the Bebside side of the river seen to the left of the attached photo. In both 1901 and 1911 it housed four families in dwellings, numbered 1 -4 in 1901 and 5-8 in 1911 when the numbers continued on from Clock House. I've never seen the name "Bridge End Cottages" on any map, census or electoral records. There were no rows of any great length in Bebside Furnace. Even the Bebside Furnace rows at the top of the bank only went as far as 42 at most (Brick Row). To live in number 46 of any Row would mean leaving the Furnace area and moving towards Cowpen on Front Row, which had 140 houses.

I’ve researched the furnace area well as 70% of my family was living there from the turn of the century through to the 1930s. There are a few Davisons there but no Lilian or Annie. Nearest name match i can find is Julia Ann Davison a 60 yo widow and her children: David Davison 28, Agnes Davison 26, John George Davison 21, and Julia Annie Davison 16. This family lived at Old Gate, Bebside Furnace which later became Doctors Row. If Lynne can give me anymore info I’ll see if I can help her.

Furnace Bridge 2.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canny lass said:

Bridge End, prior to 1912 called Bridge End House, is the house at the end of the Bridge on the Bebside side of the river seen to the left of the attached photo. In both 1901 and 1911 it housed four families in dwellings, numbered 1 -4 in 1901 and 5-8 in 1911 when the numbers continued on from Clock House. I've never seen the name "Bridge End Cottages" on any map, census or electoral records. There were no rows of any great length in Bebside Furnace. Even the Bebside Furnace rows at the top of the bank only went as far as 42 at most (Brick Row). To live in number 46 of any Row would mean leaving the Furnace area and moving towards Cowpen on Front Row, which had 140 houses.

I’ve researched the furnace area well as 70% of my family was living there from the turn of the century through to the 1930s. There are a few Davisons there but no Lilian or Annie. Nearest name match i can find is Julia Ann Davison a 60 yo widow and her children: David Davison 28, Agnes Davison 26, John George Davison 21, and Julia Annie Davison 16. This family lived at Old Gate, Bebside Furnace which later became Doctors Row. If Lynne can give me anymore info I’ll see if I can help her.

Furnace Bridge 2.jpg

I knew of Bridge End House and it's location but No 46 seems strange.

In will pass your info on the Davison families to Lynne👍

Sorry! There was another page of notes that I'd missed. All of the above is correct but there is one more Davison family which I think it is Lynnes family living at 29 Old Factory. Father, Robert 27, mother, Annie Jane 25, daughters Lillian and Annie 3 yo and 8 months old. The handwritten census form is available.

The area had many name changes over the years and the residents used one system of identifying where they lived while the enumerator used another. Old Factory is the adress given by both the resident and the enumerator.

I can say with certainty that the blue 'circle' contains the adresses 1-24 Old Gate Row and 25-32 Old Factory. Following the enumerator's route from Old Factory to his next port of call - Clock House, I'd suggest that the eight dwellings of Old Factory are those which I've marked with a blue dot (sorry if it's confusing with only blue but it seems to be the only colour available today!). These are at the top of the bank leading from the bridge and may be the reason why they are also referred to as Bridge End by residents.

If Lynne would like the census form filled in by Lillian and Annie's parents let me know. Perhaps she can send an e-mail adress through you Eggy, or we can message it in two steps, me to you, you to Lynne. 

Old Factory, Bebside Furnace.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Lynne,welcome to the forum,they are a very helpful bunch of luvly sensible folk..nae muppets like on other forums!!

It's interesting to learn your roots,I never knew much about your Parents family history!

Ye might be a Longridge for aal ye knaa!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Linray said:

Have you any idea of the names of people living at old factory have you heard of the Forsters or the Giles in the 1920s

34 minutes ago, lynnewatson said:

Hi, I recently found out the my great aunt, her sister and parents lived in the Old Factory but they were Davisons. 

@Linray & @lynnewatson unfortunately there has only been a very small amount of info on the Old factory posted on this group. You would require access, that I don't have, to the 1911 & 1921 national census records to check out the house/flat numbers and the names of those who lived there. 

Hi Lynne, welcome to he forum!

Old Factory, sometimes called Old Factory Row, was, as the name implies, an old disused factory used as housing by the ever increasing mining population in the Bebside and Bedlington Area. I'm afraid i can't see as far as the 1920s but in 1911 the following family may be of interest to you. Living in "two large rooms" with address 27 Old Factory were the following 10 people:

John Forster, 53 yo, widower, Head of household, born Newfield, Durham

George Forster 17 yo son of the above, born Byker

Isabella Giles, 36 yo, widow, housekeeper to the above, born Burradon

Jane Isabella Giles, 16yo, boarder, born New Delaval

Mary Ann Giles, 14 yo, boarder, born Blyth

James Forster Giles, 12 yo, boarder, born Blyth

Robert Forster Giles, 6 yo, boarder, born Ashington

Lizabeth Forster Giles, 4 yo, boarder, born Bebside

Henry Forster Giles, 3 yo, boarder, born Blyth

Samuel Clark, 19 yo, boarder, born Mexborough, Yorkshire

All three adult males are mine workers.

If you would like a copy of the census form filled in by John Forster let me know.

• 5 months later...
14 hours ago, lynnewatson said:

I just found this old postcard that my Dad had made bigger for his Aunt, Annie Davison. Thought I would share here for everyone. 

22DBC58A-E0CA-4ECF-8F14-EDE940957C59.jpeg

47594D25-25B3-4EDF-8C9A-74F66A6A8259.jpeg

E5D32EDC-CFF5-4BA2-971C-27D5C89D18B3.jpeg

Thanks @lynnewatson - excellent photo :thumbsup:- I will do a comparison with the other old photos of the area as I see in the ones you have just posted Bridge House, on the East of the Furnace Bridge looks the same, but the the buildings on the West look different. I can't see the Clock house and Rose Cottage, that @Canny lass researched. I'll make a compilation of the old photos and post it.

@lynnewatson - there are two other photos, from around the same era, of the area that I can find so I have compiled them and added a few Id's. Your photo doesn't appear to show Clock House 🤷‍♂️ but it's probably just the angle from where it was taken - I think:).

What I am guessing is the outside loo & shed on your photo looks like it has been turned 180 degrees - but I'm not sure. @Canny lass might have some thoughts on the photos.:D

Compilation.jpg

1 hour ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

@lynnewatson - there are two other photos, from around the same era, of the area that I can find so I have compiled them and added a few Id's. Your photo doesn't appear to show Clock House 🤷‍♂️ but it's probably just the angle from where it was taken - I think:).

What I am guessing is the outside loo & shed on your photo looks like it has been turned 180 degrees - but I'm not sure. @Canny lass might have some thoughts on the photos.:D

Compilation.jpg

It’s quite fascinating the differences in photos. I am intrigued what the building is through the trees. 

3 hours ago, lynnewatson said:

It’s quite fascinating the differences in photos. I am intrigued what the building is through the trees. 

Alan Hall, a member of the  Barrington, Barnt' n memories and stuff!! Facebook group posted this :-

I'm guessing it was the old dry midden toilet (normally at the bottom of the garden0. You used to carry a bucket of ashes when you visited said outhouse to cover whatever you had done. There was a big step up on to seat which had two large apertures and one small supposedly for kids. It was one of the last calls for the night soilman on a Saturday morning his cart was a large barrel sha ped wood structure with a lid that opened for him to do his cleansing operation he didn't have many spectators while he was working. 

soilman.jpg

The above photo was posed by Marylin Muter but she didn't say where it was from, and it does look a bit similar to the one's I have the yellow star above in the compilation photo. 

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

Hi really interesting photos does anyone's parents or grandparents know a Forster Giles brought up in bebside or bedlington area grateful for any info on him and does anyone know if 1921 censor regarding the bedlington furnace area has been released yet thanks

12 minutes ago, Linray said:

Hi really interesting photos does anyone's parents or grandparents know a Forster Giles brought up in bebside or bedlington area grateful for any info on him and does anyone know if 1921 censor regarding the bedlington furnace area has been released yet thanks

1838623975_1921census.thumb.jpg.d07429787f7efe04bb62ced4826b5b35.jpg

They are available @Linray - through the genealogy sites that you have to subscribe to. I am not a member of any of the sites. 

https://www.top10.com/dna-testing/genealogy-comparison?utm_source=google&kw=genealogy sites&c=641175787605&t=search&p=&m=e&adpos=&dev=c&devmod=&mobval=0&network=g&campaignid=15472487164&groupid=132298567364&targetid=kwd-29051800&interest=&physical=1006956&feedid=&a=7032&ts=&topic=&test=&clicktype=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIurvNqYXC_AIVHurtCh1pVgwDEAAYASAAEgLit_D_BwE

5 hours ago, Linray said:

Hi @Linray If you go back to the posts of July last year you'll find that I researched Forster Giles for you then and found what I believed may be the family you were looking for in Bebside Furnace.

There was no ”Forster Giles” in the 1911 census but the head of the household, a widower, and his 17 year old son both had the surname Giles. Living in the same dwelling was Isabella Forster, widow, housekeeper to the afore mentioned. There were also 6 ”boarders” ranging in age from 3 to 16. The two oldest borders also had the surname Giles and I presumed these to be Isabella’s children. The remaining 4 boarders aged 3 to 12 also had the surname Giles but had been given the middle name Forster. I presumed then, rightly or wrongly, that these were the result of ’extra- curricular’ housekeeping duties – a not uncommon practice at the time, if surnames in the area are anything to go by.

The 21 census is indeed available and there I can see that family has moved to Bedlington Station and is recorded as living at at 27 B(ack) Clayton Street, Bedlington (Station). The head of the household in 1911, Robert Forster, for whom Isabella Giles was a housekeeper, is not there. He may have died or Isabella may have moved. Isabella, now the head of the household, is still recorded as a widow, but it may be that she is now a widow for the second time ,if she had married Robert Forster in the intervening 10 years.

Of the six ”boarders” in 1911, the oldest girl, now about 26 years is not recorded and neither is the oldest boy, now about 22 years old. They may be married or working away from home which was common. The remaining four, all single and now aged 14, 15, 16 and 24 are resident and their relationship to Isabella now becomes clear as all are recorded as sons and daughters of Isabella, which suggests my theory on paternity may just be correct.

There is also an addition to the family which will certainly be of interest to you - Forster Giles, born Bebside, aged 5 years is recorded as Isabella’s grandson. He bears the surname Giles, having Forster as a first name. He may be the illegitimate son of Mary Ann Giles, 24, still single, living with her mother and working as a brick maker ath the Bedlington Station brickworks. He may also be the legitimate son of any of Isabella’s sons visiting his grandmother,

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

Hi thanks very much for this information Forster Giles was my father and the oldest daughter not listed as living there in 1921 was his mother we are just wondering where  he was brought up and by whom  there was also a Mary Giles but she mustn't have been brought up with him would it be possible if you could kindly email me the 1921 sensor that lists them at that house thanks so much

Hi again @Linray,

I'm afraid I don't have the census return from 1921 for your father, only a transcript of it as I access the 1921 census through a friend. I'll send the transcript to you but it also contains a few of my 'scribbles'. From info gleaned from my friend, your grandmother, Jane Isabella, seems to have married (Lavery, living Stakeford) and in 1921 has one daughter, Daisy. She thinks that Mary (full name Mary Alice Cropp Giles) was adopted by a couple in Blyth, surname Francis. 'Cropp' is probably the father's name just as Forster is the father's name in the Giles family. This was very common practice. You will see on the 1921 census transcript that even Mary Ann Giles has had a name added - Cavagin - and this is probably her father's name. This should give you a few streets to go down in your search. I'll scan the 21 transcript and get it off to you some time today.

Edited by Canny lass
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Hi again @Linray,

I'm afraid I don't have the census return from 1921 for your father, only a transcript of it as I access the 1921 census through a friend. I'll send the transcript to you but it also contains a few of my 'scribbles'. From info gleaned from my friend, your grandmother, Jane Isabella, seems to have married (Lavery, living Stakeford) and in 1921 has one daughter, Daisy. She thinks that Mary (full name Mary Alice Cropp Giles) was adopted by a couple in Blyth, surname Francis. 'Cropp' is probably the father's name just as Forster is the father's name in the Giles family. This was very common practice. You will see on the 1921 census transcript that even Mary Ann Giles has had a name added - Cavagin - and this is probably her father's name. This should give you a few streets to go down in your search. I'll scan the 21 transcript and get it off to you some time today.

Hi again @Linray,

I'm afraid I don't have the census return from 1921 for your father, only a transcript of it as I access the 1921 census through a friend. I'll send the transcript to you but it also contains a few of my 'scribbles'. From info gleaned from my friend, your grandmother, Jane Isabella, seems to have married (Lavery, living Stakeford) and in 1921 has one daughter, Daisy. She thinks that Mary (full name Mary Alice Cropp Giles) was adopted by a couple in Blyth, surname Francis. 'Cropp' is probably the father's name just as Forster is the father's name in the Giles family. This was very common practice. You will see on the 1921 census transcript that even Mary Ann Giles has had a name added - Cavagin - and this is probably her father's name. This should give you a few streets to go down in your search. I'll scan the 21 transcript and get it off to you some time 

Hi again @Linray,

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now