Barrington Arms - 1930s?

Question and photos from David Bailey :-The “Monkey.” Maybe 1930’s? Can anyone give me any more information on these two? I’m assuming it’s Mr & Mrs Morgan. I’ve no date or names with the photo.

1448258121_BarringtonArms.thumb.jpg.0c53974924a1499529e20a74628ecc4c.jpg

1050809114_BarringtonArms2.thumb.jpg.03f141604819b6e88b549fcad4c34977.jpg

@HIGH PIT WILMA - David Bailey is the great grandson of Geordie Graham - Haig road then Hollymo0unt square.

Hi Folks!,Alan,when my Parents moved into Hollymount..[herinafter referred to by me as "Hollymoont"!] Square,around the 1947/8 period in time,only half of the square was built..oddly enough,they weren't built in numerical order!

We lived in No 13,and out of the total of 66 houses,we knew every single  family in the square.

Even noo in me mind's eye,aam naming them,but can a hell remember the Graham family.

In those first years of living there,a lot of people moved house ,for some reason or other..can't think why,cos those were the days of either gas or candle lighting,and the gas came from the Doctor pit Gasworks,and when Hollymoont was built,they were like luxury hotels![to those of us who had to stand up at the end of the street with Mother,while waiting her turn to fill her bucket of water at the communal water standpipe..!..in Storey's Buildings,at Choppington Station..!]

We had full electric lighting,and cooker,kettle,wash-house with electric boiler,hot and cold running water,and three bedrooms!!

But try as a may,a canna think of Geordie Graham,and if you say he lived there,my family would have knaan him.

...Aaahh!..the question is..WHEN did he live there?..cos when a started courting my Lass..[noo WOR Lass!],in 1962,a stayed down with her family a lot over wor five yr courtship,and when we got married in 1967,a knew mair folks doon at Grange Park,than a did at Hollymoont Square!.

A used ti remark ti me Mutha,when a visited owa  the years,aav just seen a strange Wife/Bloke gaan inti number 12.or whatever,and she wud say ,Aah,they just moved in last week..or wativvor...

SO!,at thi end of that [usual!] rammelin' on,aam still nae fartha forward wi Geordie Graham!!

Funnily enough,when a moved wi me aan family,ti West Terrace Stakeford,in 1970,me eventual next door nybor was Joe Graham n his Wife,Margorie.

Joe was in the Buffs Club,a wonder if he was any relation ti Geordie?

Sorry aam aal reet at yakkin,but not much help this time!

Cheers ti aal ye canny folks!

Bill.

17 hours ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

Hi Folks!,Alan,when my Parents moved into Hollymount..[herinafter referred to by me as "Hollymoont"!] Square,around the 1947/8 period in time,only half of the square was built..oddly enough,they weren't built in numerical order!

Even noo in me mind's eye,aam naming them,but can a hell remember the Graham family.

But try as a may,a canna think of Geordie Graham,and if you say he lived there,my family would have knaan him.

...Aaahh!..the question is..WHEN did he live there?.

Bill.

I could have it wrong Bill but my memory keeps recalling when my uncle Larry, married to my mam's sister, Peggy Henderson, used to visit Geordie Graham and my memory says it was in Hollymout Square.

My mam's family and the Graham family used to live next door to each other in Haig Road. My mam's family, 11 of them, moved into Beatty Road and I though the Graham family had moved into Hollymount, but that could be where I am going wrong.

My uncle Larry, Irish piper, lived in London and when the family came North to visit the Henderson's in Beatty Road Larry would meet up with Geordie in the Black Bull. Now this is where I may have muddled up the story. Apparently when they left the Black Bull they went to Geordies BUT perhaps it was via Hollymount and NOT in Hollymount.

Geordie had a daughter Alice and she was my mam's bridesmaid in 1941 so I guess the Graham's were still living in Haig road. Alice married Stuart Young - was there a family called Young living in Hollymount Square when you did?

This is Geordie Graham :-  

Geordie Graham.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 09/05/2022 at 22:49, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

when my Parents moved into Hollymount..[herinafter referred to by me as "Hollymoont"!] Square,around the 1947/8 period in time,only half of the square was built..oddly enough,they weren't built in numerical order!

The plan I have attached is part of an underground plan of the Doctor Pit Low Seam workings so I know you will understand it. The blue markings are underground pillars and the thick blue line is an igneous dyke.

You say you moved into no 13 Hollymount Square around 1947 when it was only half built.

Some underground plans had to show certain surface features and by pure chance, the buildings on this this plan were added when Hollymount Square was only half built so it shows half of Hollymount Square as well as Bells Place and Old Colliery Row. Shortly after this plan was drawn up, the old rows were demolished, the site cleared and the other half of Hollymount Square was built.

What is surprising is that the main underground plan shows that the Low Seam workings under Hollymount Square were mined from the ‘Auld Pit’ (Bedlington ‘A’) not as you would expect, from the Doctor Pit.

903181280_HollymountSquare_2png.thumb.png.da9caa86b9cc6a96e80e703d6f1ecfde.png

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now