Rose Villas - Bedlington

It was indeed at the top end of Bedlington and next door to the presbytery of the Roman Catholic Church. It's an awkward place to research on maps, partly because the area is often divided over two maps and partly because it's had so many name changes over the years.

The best map i can find that shows all the buildings together is this one from 1898. The property (or at least part of it) which i've marked in blue has had the following adresses and housed the following occupants (with occupation) on census records from 1891, 1901 and 1911. The first number is the census schedule number (not the house number), should Ingrid wish to do more research. The number in brackets which follows the adress  is the number of rooms  and seems to suggest that the property has been divided into smaller dwellings at some time. Perhaps Ingrid can recognise a family name.

C1891

104, West End, Robert Thompson, gardener (5+ rooms)

C1901

54? Rose Villa, Ralph Humble, Market gardener (5+ rooms)

C1911

257, Rose Villa (Gardens), David Muirhead, market gardener (4 rooms)

258, Rose Villa Cottages, Alfred Alexander, miner (2 rooms)

259, Rose Villa Cottages, James Homes, miner (2 rooms)

260, Rose Villa Cottges, Catholic Row, James John

Middleton, miner (2 rooms)

261, Rose Villa Cottages, West End, Alexander Brown, miner (4 rooms)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canny lass said:

It was indeed at the top end of Bedlington and next door to the presbytery of the Roman Catholic Church. It's an awkward place to research on maps, partly because the area is often divided over two maps and partly because it's had so many name changes over the years.

The best map i can find that shows all the buildings together is this one from 1898. The property (or at least part of it) which i've marked in blue has had the following adresses and housed the following occupants (with occupation) on census records from 1891, 1901 and 1911. The first number is the census schedule number (not the house number), should Ingrid wish to do more research. The number in brackets which follows the adress  is the number of rooms  and seems to suggest that the property has been divided into smaller dwellings at some time. Perhaps Ingrid can recognise a family name.

C1891

104, West End, Robert Thompson, gardener (5+ rooms)

C1901

54? Rose Villa, Ralph Humble, Market gardener (5+ rooms)

C1911

257, Rose Villa (Gardens), David Muirhead, market gardener (4 rooms)

258, Rose Villa Cottages, Alfred Alexander, miner (2 rooms)

259, Rose Villa Cottages, James Homes, miner (2 rooms)

260, Rose Villa Cottges, Catholic Row, James John

Middleton, miner (2 rooms)

261, Rose Villa Cottages, West End, Alexander Brown, miner (4 rooms)

Thank you @Canny lass - I'll add your info to Ingrid's question:thumbsup: - and see what she says.

@Canny lass - Ingrid replied to your info with :- Ingrid Atkinson

Canny lass 

thank you so much ❤️ in the 1911 census my great grandparents stated they lived there at least a couple of years previously as they had a daughter born there in 1908, they then moved to Burdon Terrace by 1910 because my great grandfather went to Canada for work in Oct that year and my grandfather was born early 1911.

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now