Ukraine

As you would expect Bedlington has stepped up with humanitarian aid for the Ukraine and its displaced peoples.  

Our collection point is the Community Centre on Front Street.  

"I wanted to make sure anything we donated would get to the right places. I’m sure of that now!
The Bedlington Community Centre has agreed to act as a collection point and is open every weekday morning.
I have asked West Bedlington Town Council if it’s possible to fly a Ukrainian flag outside, at least until, the current wave of the crisis unfolds!
Please, bring products from the list only.
List of things needed
(Based on information from aid providers):
Personal hygiene products
- soaps, shower gels, shampoos and hair conditioners, hairbrushes
- toothbrushes and toothpaste, for children and adults
- antiperspirants and deodorants (mainly for women but also for men)
- face creams and tonics, hand creams for women.
- sanitary towels, tampons, panty liners
- larger sanitary pads for women in puerperium and nursing pads (breastfeeding pads)
- wet wipes, nappies of various sizes, tissues, cotton pads
Medical supplies
- first aid kits
- bandages, gauze and swabs, tourniquets, plasters, disposable gloves
- anti-pain, anti-fever and anti-inflammatory drugs for children and adults
- vitamins for children
- something for the cough, sore throat, stomach problems, nasal drops.
For children, to keep them occupied and distracted, to make them smile:
- colouring books and crayons/markers
- small puzzles
- small soft toys/ cuddly toys
- sweets: chocolates, bars, snacks, etc.
And also:
- baby porridge, baby rice, fruit/vegetable snacks in tubes (not jars),
-instant foods such as soups, etc.,
-long-term foods such as canned food, etc.,
-paper towels, cutlery and disposable plates
- sleeping bags, mats, blankets
- power banks, batteries, flashlights
Clothing in different sizes (please bring NEW items):
- women's and children's underwear
- cotton T-shirts, sweatshirts and tracksuits,
- thermoactive clothing
- cotton leggings for women
- women's slippers, children's and women's pyjamas
- bath towels
At the moment, we do not collect used clothing. We might ask for it later on, as needed and requested by charity organisations in Poland.
The collected items will be sent to the strategic reserves warehouse located in the Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship and will be distributed to centres of temporary stay for Ukrainian families who are cared for in this area or, as needed, transferred for transport to Ukraine."

shondaland-ukraineresourceslongformlede-1646180653.jpeg

• Like 1

Just passed Budapest main train station today lots of Ukrainian refugees there some were waiting for trains to Prague & Vienna and lots of Indian students who apparently are going to the airport & flying back to India the people look very bewildered & everyone who is shopping is getting extra & given stuff to the Ukrainians food water etc some are even given toys to the small ones so sad to see this infact shocking & sick

• Like 2

I find it strange how life is my son was brought up in Hertfordshire he’s in the British army waiting for he’s order probably Poland he serves in the royal tank regiment & one of he’s best friends whose in the same regiment is from Bedlngton

228C7B92-288B-4F8C-9646-308EE2FFE4BE.jpeg

• Like 2

War is a terrible, terrible thing anywhere in the world. I hope your son can avoid being involved in it if it’s at all possible.

This last week or so, I’ve been researching that member of the Aisbitt family of Toll Cottage who married into my father’s family in 1900. He was posted to France 9th September 1915 and was presumed dead 17 days later, having presumably lost his life in the Battle of Loos 26 September 1915. As he was recorded as ’presumed dead’ rather than ’killed in action’ it seems probable that there weren’t enough pieces of him left to be able to make a definite identification. He left a wife and 3 children who together received the princely sum of £2. 2s and 6d. So much was a 37 year old man’s life worth in 1915.

The details of the Battle of Loos, if you are not familiar with them already, make horrendous reading, not only for casualty details but also for the ineptitude of some Generals. 26 September, when Edward Aisbitt died, the British Army at Loos had no less than 8 000 casualties among their 10 000 men! Many of those were caused by poison gas, used by the British army, drifting back into their own lines and causing more casualties among the British than among the Germans. Why? because of one General who refused to listen to advice about wind direction.

Well done Bedlington for the efforts you are making to help the people of Ukraine. It makes me very proud of my roots.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now