Bedlington Terrier pub

Anne Gilbert

Does anyone remember the little kiosk at the side of the pub? Around 1967. My dad used to cycle up there from Stead Lane every Sunday evening and buy us a block of ice cream and wafers. Mum, dad and I would sit by the fire and have one thick sandwich and one thin sandwich each. Funny how you remember the simple things.

• Like 2

On 16/02/2022 at 14:46, Anne Gilbert said:

Does anyone remember the little kiosk at the side of the pub? Around 1967. My dad used to cycle up there from Stead Lane every Sunday evening and buy us a block of ice cream and wafers. Mum, dad and I would sit by the fire and have one thick sandwich and one thin sandwich each. Funny how you remember the simple things.

I do - it was on the left as you looked at the front of the building. I lived in Coquetdale Place, 1949 to 1969, and as the Oval shops were just through the cut at the end of Fontburn Road, across the road from us the Terrie shop was not one I used frequently - but I must have attempted to buy a bottle a beer, when I was under age:), from that kiosk.

In the Gallery>Historic Bedlington section we have an Album (created 2016) named - 'Bedlington drinking establishments - Then & Now' and a couple of images, when the pub was closed, are in there but they don't show the kiosk.  I did manage, on ebay, to find one 1957 image of a postcard for sale with the kiosk.  

The Bedlington Terrier.jpg

3 hours ago, Anne Gilbert said:

Just opposite there and towards Stead Lane were a couple of slopes where I used to love going down on my roller skates.

Now if you were really adventurous it would be from the top of the Furnace Bank down to the bottom, otherwise the more gentler slopes - Elenbel - Tomlea - River View or 'Cart Track' from River View to Furnace Bank :- 

Roller skating slopes.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

I remember that public house very well. Myself and another lad were underage along with a friend 18 year old were in the room around the side having a beer,well more than two. Two policemen came in,looked at us and walked out. Close call that. £5 fine in those of 1964. We all went out with girls from terrier close which was why we were there. So long ago but nice to look back on. Thanks Anne

1 hour ago, Anne Gilbert said:

Thanks for those memories! Knew all those streets so well that people are mentioning.

@Anne Gilbert - it would have been demolished before you time but can you remember if your family ever mentioned Puddlers Row that was at the top of Tomlea Avenue?

We are always on the look out for photos and info on Puddlers Row.:)

Puddlers Row.jpg

@Anne Gilbert - I remember in the early 1960's I used to deliver the Sunday newspapers to a few house along Stead Lane but can't remember any of the names of those I delivered to. For the Sunday deliveries it wasn't just push the newspaper through the door you had to knock on the day and collect the money for the newspaper. Think I stopped delivering them in 1966 when alcohol, forced on me on a Saturday night at Craigsies Disco (Railway Tavern), used to prevent me waking up early:thumbsup: 

The only name I can remember of a lad, a couple of years older than me, living in Stead Lane is Ken Moor. He used to play in a group called The Olympics and they practiced in the YMCA. 

Olympics named.jpg

Olympics prev The Statesmen c1966.jpg

• Like 2

Funny life at times Alan, you mentioned disc in railway tavern in sixties. I loved going into there then,great atmosphere. I first saw my future wife there in 65. Mind, I have to say I wasn't fond of the beer then. Lighting made it look like out of can of oil. Double Maxim wasn't much better. Still, I me and my wife have very fond memories and you must have been in there when we were. When I came home on leave we went there and it had gone back to normal public house room. Not the same. 

2 hours ago, Jr6468 said:

Funny life at times Alan, you mentioned disc in railway tavern in sixties. I loved going into there then,great atmosphere. I first saw my future wife there in 65. Mind, I have to say I wasn't fond of the beer then. Lighting made it look like out of can of oil. Double Maxim wasn't much better. Still, I me and my wife have very fond memories and you must have been in there when we were. When I came home on leave we went there and it had gone back to normal public house room. Not the same. 

I sneaked in there in 1965, aged 17, and carried on going there until the Domino opened. Like you I remember the engine oil:). I can't remember the landladies name but I do remember she used to get a crate of milk in and that was an alternative drink to the Double Maxim and the engine oil. In the Disco lights a pint of milk stood out - as did dandruff:D.

I think the police man that was there at closing time to try and prevent the fights was known locally as Big Jock. 

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now