Gate House, Bebside Furnace

Red marking shows gatehouses/Gatehouse Row, nrs 1 - 5 which later became Doctor's Row.

Green marking shows Old Gatehouse Row, nrs 1 - 18 which later became Oldgate/Oldgate Row.

I've never heard of a single building being called Gatehouse but people wrote many variations of address on census returns. My grandfather lived at 2 Gatehouses but that was crossed out by the enumerator and replaced with Doctors Row (1911).

Hope this can be of help.

Bebside Furnace and surroundings (2)_LI.jpg

Edited by Canny lass

Thank you so much for the very quick and full reply. The reference document I have is a hard copy birth certificate from the 1930's. The birth address and address listed for the informant is written the same way. It actually says Two Gate House, Bebside Furnace. By 1939, the family relating to the birth certificate had moved toward Blyth. It looks as though the house only played a very small part in their history, but had wondered what/ where it was.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
46 minutes ago, Linray said:

Has anyone heard of  a street called old factory  in the old furnace bebside in 1920s

@Linray if you enter the phrase - "old factory" -, with the quotation marks, into the search facility at the top right hand corner of the screen

search.thumb.png.dd69f98dc108ab984e0b7f104780de7a.png

the system will return all the postings/comments that contain that phrase. You will see a few as -old factory - has been used a few times like the following that @Canny lass posted in the 'Cobbledicks Shop ?' topic :- 

355346855_oldfactory.thumb.jpg.37b0d6ecc7f603334ef77d90454a1597.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

• 1 year later...

I know its a few years since the last post on this thread, but I'm doing some family history stuff and searched 2 gate house... it would appear my ancestors lived there between yours! Mine were there in the 1921 census, and moved on by 1939! Thanks so much for that map canny lass!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, ms_lighthouse said:

I know its a few years since the last post on this thread, but I'm doing some family history stuff and searched 2 gate house... it would appear my ancestors lived there between yours! Mine were there in the 1921 census, and moved on by 1939! Thanks so much for that map canny lass!

@Canny lass

• Like 1

On 17/02/2024 at 19:38, ms_lighthouse said:

know its a few years since the last post on this thread, but I'm doing some family history stuff and searched 2 gate house... it would appear my ancestors lived there between yours! Mine were there in the 1921 census, and moved on by 1939! Thanks so much for that map canny lass!

@ms_lighthouse happy to have been able to help.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now