Jump to content

Ravensworth & Liddle's Street- Bedlington Station


Recommended Posts

@Sloopy .Dog - in the 'Bedlington Colliery' topic you mentioned you were looking into the buisness and who owned them.

rather than mix up the topics I have created this one and the following images give you two businesses, Muter's pop & James haulage, that used to be there.

1938.thumb.jpg.7d7f8345a5639911966012e36e04138a.jpg

This photo of Muter Pop factory posted on the Bygone Bedlington FB group by John Krzyznowski.

1563142989_RavensworthCourt.thumb.jpg.e60ac31f21a36aa778973c27e121f58e.jpg

655233149_ETJames.jpg.9a10764172581973045f3f9ab91bef26.jpg

908251909_EtJames.thumb.jpg.b40038bf8019306bbda00ac9ae8f1364.jpg

A member of this group - @Ovalteeny - used to work for T James in 1964

Ovalteeny.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a bit confused by the red star, Eggy. Isn't that the spiritualist church we discussed recently? If so then Muter's would have been facing the road on the site of the two houses to the left of the white car. The 'pop-factory' is not a place I was familiar with - only their products.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Canny lass said:

I'm a bit confused by the red star, Eggy. Isn't that the spiritualist church we discussed recently? If so then Muter's would have been facing the road on the site of the two houses to the left of the white car. The 'pop-factory' is not a place I was familiar with - only their products.

It is CL - I have added some info to the photo:thumbsup:

 

Ravensworth Court updated.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Muter's Pop wagon - photo posted by Jeff Slaughter Snr. in 2014 on Bygone Bedlington FB group. No date or where the photo was taken was posted.

As the metal railings dividing the path from the front garden are still there we assume it has to be pre WWII as all the metal railings around the council houses were removed to help the war effort. 

Muters Pop Wagon.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the picture of Muters pop factory.  Was there any connection between Muters and Woods pop factory?  A local resident told me the garages belonged to E & T James.  I don't thionk they were colliery garages now, although the ground they were built on was colliery as is the road to the front of my house.  My house and the one next door were purchased from the NCB in 1983.  My deeds say there are mine workings under my house and at one time it was an opencast mine.

Joe.

WOODS POP FACTORY WORKERS 02.jpg

WOODS POP FACTORY WORKERS 03.jpg

WOODS POP FACTORY WORKERS 01.jpg

Edited by Sloopy .Dog
mistake
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/01/2022 at 15:59, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

@Sloopy .Dog - in the 'Bedlington Colliery' topic you mentioned you were looking into the buisness and who owned them.

rather than mix up the topics I have created this one and the following images give you two businesses, Muter's pop & James haulage, that used to be there.

1938.thumb.jpg.7d7f8345a5639911966012e36e04138a.jpg

This photo of Muter Pop factory posted on the Bygone Bedlington FB group by John Krzyznowski.

1563142989_RavensworthCourt.thumb.jpg.e60ac31f21a36aa778973c27e121f58e.jpg

655233149_ETJames.jpg.9a10764172581973045f3f9ab91bef26.jpg

908251909_EtJames.thumb.jpg.b40038bf8019306bbda00ac9ae8f1364.jpg

A member of this group - @Ovalteeny - used to work for T James in 1964

Ovalteeny.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ovalteeny mentioned he worked for James Haulage, so he may be able to say if the garages at Ravensworth Street were ex NCB and he may know when they were built.  I was told James Haulage had a garage opposite my house.

Joe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sloopy .Dog said:

Thanks for the picture of Muters pop factory.  Was there any connection between Muters and Woods pop factory? 

 

Joe.

 

Never heard of a connection between Wood Sons & Muter's. Wood Sons buildings at the bottom of the Furnace bank and Muter's on Ravensworth Street.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

Hide Adverts


  • Latest News

    • Get the latest Northumberland news and updates delivered straight to your inbox
      All they want to do is cradle their newborn baby in their arms.
      But Bedlington parents Carly Walker and Ryan Murphy have been forced to watch from the sidelines as their daughter fights for her life.
      Little Ayda Faith Murphy was born prematurely on March 31, weighing just 4lbs, at Newcastle's Royal Victoria Infirmary.
      Rushed for her first operation straight after birth and another at just four days old, she's battling terrifying odds after being diagnosed with a series of incredibly rare birth defects.
      An almost unique variant of gastroschisis, a defect of the abdominal wall, has left her intestines pushing up into her chest - a condition doctors estimate is suffered by no more than 10 babies worldwide.
      Meanwhile, her heart appears to have flipped over and lies on the wrong side of her chest, while she's receiving oxygen from a machine due to her underdeveloped lungs.
      Keep up-to-date with all the latest news in the county by visiting our Northumberland Live homepage.
      You can sign up to our daily Northumberland newsletter here.
      Facebook: Here's our main Northumberland page.
      Twitter: You can follow the Northumberland Live page here.
      Find The Journal's Northumberland editions on the British Newspaper Archive here.

  • Latest Topics

×
×
  • Create New...