Dene Park

18 hours ago, Canny lass said:

They are so welcome and if they ever find a photo or any other information about Arcade I'd love to see it.

They have been asked if any photos or info but no response at the moment :( 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Canny lass said:

They are so welcome and if they ever find a photo or any other information about Arcade I'd love to see it.

@Canny lass - checking through the images that others have posted on various sites, and I have saved a copy, there is one photo that shows some buildings across the road from the Prince of Wales, and up a bit as in your map, and I have added a tag - Rennick's Yard as that is what @johndawsonjune1955 had commented when he posted the photo in 2015.

From the census records could Rennick's Yard be linked to the Arcade? 

Glebe_Road_c1913 with text.jpg

15 hours ago, James said:

In Evan Martin’s book ‘Bedlington Iron and Engine Works’, he states that in 1829 a workmen’s institute was built where books and newspapers could be read and courses were run for the employees. He goes on to say that inscribed on a stone in the institute was the company’s motto ‘Vivitur Igne et Aqua er Ferro Deo Favente’ (We live by fire, water, iron and the grace of God) Although he doesn’t say that this was the clock house, after reading the document written by Christopher Bergen posted by Canny Lass, it must have been. Bergen’s document says the Clock House had a stone above the door with the same motto mentioned by Evan Martin with the date 1829. He also states the Annual Meetings of the Relief Fund was held here followed by a dinner provided by management. It would appear that the clock house was the workmen’s institute converted to housing after the works closed. I have attached an old photo of the bandstand taken from the hairpin bend behind the 7 poplars we used to call the ‘Seven Sisters’.

1678930772_TheSevenSisters2.thumb.jpg.43962153a825dc4a5b070c75e078340b.jpg

The Seven Sisters and The Bandstand = my childhood. I was born 1948 and in the late 1950's spent days in the river next to the Bandstand. We were forever rebuilding a small dam across the river from the Free Woods side to the Bebside side where there was a wide slab of rack that was used to dive from but the dam was necessary to make the water deep enough to dive into.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

checking through the images that others have posted on various sites, and I have saved a copy, there is one photo that shows some buildings across the road from the Prince of Wales, and up a bit as in your map, and I have added a tag - Rennick's Yard as that is what @johndawsonjune1955 had commented when he posted the photo in 2015.

From the census records could Rennick's Yard be linked to the Arcade? 

Renwicks yard (as it's named i the census records) was close to Arcade - assuming my research gives a good result. There were only three dwellings, facing Glebe Row, which separated the two. renwicks Yard was situated further south towards Front Sreet. Here's a map showing what my picture of Glebe Road is based on the 1911 census and the 1939 register. It's a map from 1922 but not a lot changed between 1911 and 1932. I'll see if I can dig out my research notes and post them so you can see how I've reached that conclusion.

bild.thumb.png.de7cb3a1ebabcf5d1205e7c33f2d9f0a.png

Pink - Fountain Inn

Yellow - Tankerville Arms

Red - Arcade, nrs 1-6

Green - Renwicks Yard, nrs 1-5 (possibly 1-6)

Brown - Renwick House

Purple - Alma inn

Orange - Alma Inn yard, nrs 1-2 (possibly 1-3)

Blue - Kidds Yard

Edited by Canny lass

31 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

I'll see if I can dig out my research notes and post them so you can see how I've reached that conclusion.

No need to dig out your notes - I'm happy with your conclusion:thumbsup:

Text updated but fro your work and conclusion, and the buildings on the 1922 map, I'm thinking John Dawson's Id of Fenwicks Yard could be wrong. Pitty I cant's make out that sign that the text is pointing to:( 

Glebe_Road_c1913 with text.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

2 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

No need to dig out your notes - I'm happy with your conclusion

Well, that’s nice to hear but as I’ve spent an hour looking for it and giving it a bit of a brush up to make it readable, I may as well post it. It might help somebody else.

In the attached file, by ’dwelling’ I mean a unit which houses one family. Here, a unit can be anything from 1 room to 5 rooms and a family can be any number of persons between 1 and 7. The greater majority of dwellings in the area under discussion are of 1-2 rooms.

Arcade 1911-1939.docx

I tried to edit the last post but when i pasted in my text, after the file, the wordsa nd letters ran amok changing font and size here, there and everywhere. I tried to write it direct on site but time ran out for editing. I'll have another go at pasting it in this post and see what happens BUT I'm not going to try and rewrite it if the same thing happens!

I looked at the 1911 census and the 1939 register and compared the number and placement of dwellings in relation to three fixed points on Glebe Row: Fountain Inn at the northern end of Glebe Row, Tankervlle Arms and the Alma Inn situated towards the southern end of Glebe Row. We can assume that the position of all three has remained constant. This information was then plotted on a map dated 1922 where individual buildings could be clearly seen.

For the 1911 census I give the familiar address – that given by the resident. For the 1939 register I give the official adress - that given by the enumerator as this is the only one available. However, in the 1911 census, all dwellings situated between Arcade and the Alma Inn have the official address, Glebe Row but the residents choose to call it anything from Tankerville Yard to Front Street.

Between 1911 and 1939 the number of dwellings in the enumerators area between Fountain Inn and Alma Inn increased only slightly from 59 to 68 dwellings. In 1911 the area from Fountain Inn to, but not including, Arcade lists 28 dwellings. The same area 1939 lists 36 dwellings. Most of this increase can be accounted for by two roomed dwellings being divided into one room dwellings and the five roomed dwelling adjacent to Olivers Buildings becoming five separate dwellings.

The area from, but not including, Arcade to Alma Inn lists 27 dwellings in 1911 and this is reduced by one, to 26 dwellings in 1939. In other words there hasn’t been much change and Arcade appears to be consistently situated adjacent to the same yard, Renwicks Yard which is the second ’yard’, respectively the third on the 1911 and 1939 records as the Alma Inn yard was a later addition.

Worked fine! I clearly didn't choose 'plain text' when posting.

• Thanks 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now