Councillor Wallace - November Update

After what seems like a lifetime since the Market Place development first came under discussion – it was 2015 – I am delighted that Tolent have actually started the work.  There are a series of phases with completion  due in late 2019/early 2020.  Inevitably there will be disruption, noise, parking issues etc until the project is completed but I hope that the town will now get firmly behind the development and crucially, when it is complete, support the businesses that have invested in Bedlington.

These retailers have chosen to come to Bedlington in what are difficult trading times and  will need our support.  I am aware that Advance Northumberland (formally ARCH) have done their best to attract investment in the development and when the shops open it is then up to us to use them.

Elsewhere in the town, two issues, anti-social behaviour and road and pedestrian safety continue to cause real concern.

Along with other Independent County Councillors I met with the local area police Inspector and two of the Bedlington Police Team.  During our discussion we made sure that they were fully aware of residents’ fears, frustrations and concerns – and importantly the impact that this is having on the town.

At present he Bedlington Police Team are particularly concerned over the amount of youth anti-social behaviour in the town and stressed that they are doing everything they can with the numbers of staff they have at their disposal to deal with the issue.

However their main message was quite clear – please report every crime.  The team fully accept that staffing levels mean they are unable to deal with every single incident and they are aware of the frustrations that may be experienced when calling 101, but ask that we keep trying – or alternatively report incidents online, anonymously if you prefer.  The problem for them is that if a crime is not reported not only will it not be dealt with, but also recorded crime figures remain artificially low and as a result no extra resources will be allocated to Bedlington.  So it’s up to us to support our local police team by reporting crime and hopefully securing more resources.

The new traffic signage, road markings and improved lighting at the crossing points on the Front Street marks the first stage in improving road and pedestrian safety in the town.

In addition traffic speed surveys have been undertaken on both Hartford Road and Church Lane.  I very much hope the results will show the need for further traffic calming in these areas.  Funding is already in place to implement any measures on Church Lane. NCC Highways are also looking at the area around Morrisons/Lidl in order to make both the roundabout and the pedestrian crossing points safer.  I will continue to push as hard as I can to ensure these projects turn into reality as soon as possible.

Finally, with Winter on the way I have been working with NCC, West Bedlington Town Council and the other Bedlington Independent County Councillors to review the siting of grit bins in the town so that they are placed where they are most needed.

If you wish to discuss any matter please do not hesitate to contact me at russ.wallace@northumberland.gov.ukon 07779983775 or by my Facebook page http://bit.ly/RussWallaceBedlingtonCentral.

My next Surgery is at 6.30 on Thursday, 6thDecember at Bedlington Community Centre.

Thank you for reading.

Russ

View on Councillor Wallace's Blog

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now