Windows 11 available.

2 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Can't help you there, I'm afraid, but while we're on the subject of computers can anybody tell me how to get rid of a Macafee pop-up that's been telling me for several months that their virus protection on my new(ish) laptop has expired.

This is just guess work and Google - it's a few years since I used McAphee = free version for a year.

Have you ever used the 'uninstall' command? Type uninstall in your 'Start/Search' panel and you should get a list of all the software programs you have installed and when you click on the program you are after you should get an option to Uninstall/Delete.

Uninstall.jpg.e06b58da79cb2be11631f291964c4814.jpg

If you have access to the 'Control Panel' and depending on your Windows version you might be able to access the uninstall tool via the Control Panel that could take you to the Programs and Features option that when selected gives you a list of all your installed software and the option to uninstall :- 

1231633356_ControlPanel.jpg.4a4ad622d7b0297649d2a603c086ede8.jpg

1743215578_ControlPanel2.jpg.5224877bd705264eab4e902af2856e9f.jpg

If you still have McAphee dashboard then you could try :- 

Access the McAfee dashboard.

Select “Navigation” from the top-right corner.

From the “Next” tab, select “General Settings and Alerts.”

To manually turn off pop-ups, select the “Informational Alerts” and “Protection Alerts” option.

Uncheck the boxes to stop receiving pop-up alerts.

If thay fails then it 

47 minutes ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

If thay fails then it 

CL - all my attempts to add displays + text etc. for uninstalling on Windows 10 have failed and I don't know why they all failed to upload - I'm working on it.:)

Another attempt :-

Windows 10

1. Left click on the plain Windows logo at the bottom left hand corner of your screen and that will display all the programs you have loaded. 

2. Scroll through and find the MacAphee logo

3. Right click on that logo and you will get the option to uninstall.

Uninstall Windows 10.jpg

18 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

Another attempt :-

Windows 10

1. Left click on the plain Windows logo at the bottom left hand corner of your screen and that will display all the programs you have loaded. 

2. Scroll through and find the MacAphee logo

3. Right click on that logo and you will get the option to uninstall.

Thanks Eggy! This seems to have got rid of it. Not quite as straightforward as you described it as there were 3 different files for M.acAphee so I just repeated your instructions three times. Now they are gone and I'm looking forward to working without constant interruption from them. Thanks again!

9 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

:iiam:

Sounds nasty. I think I'd better leave it to the OH or one of the grandchildren!

Having said that, I haven't seen it today.

The reload, Following yesterdays deletion(s), the reload of your laptop  may have made the final clearance of MacFee 

👍

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

Update: McAfee pop-ups are back and so are the three files I removed!

Oh dear. What's the name of the files and we might be able to find out what section/program of McAfee is adding them to your system due to their virus protection having expired.:)

Eggy, thanks for all the time and effort you are using on this.

McAfee is nothing I've downloaded. It just came with the new lap-top.

I removed:

1 folder named McAfee (no idea what was in it as I never opened it).

1 file named McAfee File Lock

1 file named McAfee LiveSafe

Those three appeared again yesterday.

Today the two files are inside the folder but it could have been that the folder was already open when I removed each item.

29 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

Eggy, thanks for all the time and effort you are using on this.

McAfee is nothing I've downloaded. It just came with the new lap-top.

I removed:

1 folder named McAfee (no idea what was in it as I never opened it).

1 file named McAfee File Lock

1 file named McAfee LiveSafe

Those three appeared again yesterday.

Today the two files are inside the folder but it could have been that the folder was already open when I removed each item.

I'll see if I can find out anything but it might take awhile - busy upgrading my Windows 10 PC to Windows 11, Sep 1 of 3 currently 78% complete :pc:

@Canny lass - can't find anything that just relates to the popup names. There is loads around about the file name McAfee LiveSafe but everything I can find says use the McAfee 'Dashboard' - and I am guessing you don't have that.

Your situation has me beat:| - but I will keep looking, when I'm not clarting:book:

ps. Windows 11 installed on new PC (Vista still on the old one) - now I will have to find out all the extras that comes with it and see what I can delete :thumbsup:

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

Same here Eggy, I got my Vista working again (my son did!) and have Windows 11 on my Acer, I only turn it on once a week, I just don't like it, I only use Vista for my photos as I'm using Apple for almost everything, Iphone, MacBook Air, iPad.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Vic Patterson said:

Same here Eggy, I got my Vista working again (my son did!) and have Windows 11 on my Acer, I only turn it on once a week, I just don't like it, I only use Vista for my photos as I'm using Apple for almost everything, Iphone, MacBook Air, iPad.

I'm al for change = advancing technologies but I can't stand the way we are bombarded with loads of applications. I know technology has to cater for the up and coming pioneers of the future (our gran children) but I just wish they would allow us more mature people of this world the opportunity to easily remove the applications we will never use😊.

I do all my 'clarting' with photos on my 13 year old Desktop PC with Windows Vista but I have backed them all up, memory sticks, and copied them onto my new PC ready for when the old PC packs in and I have to start working out how some new 'clarting' photo software works. I have Gimp downloaded on the new PC. Gimp - GNU Image Manipulation Program - is a free and open-source raster graphics editor used for image manipulation and image editing, free-form drawing, transcoding between different image file formats, and more specialized tasks. GIMP is released under GPL-3.0-or-later license and is available for Linux, macOS, and Microsoft Windows. 

So it's a toss up for who lasts longer, me or my Vista PC:punk:  

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

I have Gimp downloaded on the new PC. Gimp - GNU Image Manipulation Program - is a free and open-source raster graphics editor used for image manipulation and image editing, free-form drawing, transcoding between different image file formats, and more specialized tasks. GIMP is released under GPL-3.0-or-later license and is available for Linux, macOS, and Microsoft Windows. 

I couldn't understand a word of that. I didn't know you were bilingual! Greek?

18 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

I couldn't understand a word of that. I didn't know you were bilingual! Greek?

Just Bedlington twang and old technology - The first 8 words in my comment above are mine, the rest from 'GNU - GNU Image Manipulation........' was Copy & Paste from Google:D - but I thought Vic would understand it :thumbsup:

I have clarted with GIMP but even some of the commands from the menus I struggled to read. The text is so small.:wtf2:

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

Anything to do with computers doesn't work well for me in any other language than Swedish.Mind you, it doesn't work too well in that language either.  It was here that I got my first introduction to a computer so my total vocabulary for the subject is in Swedish. All this talk of Gimps and GNus sounds like something from one of Astrid Lindgren's books.

Eggy, I have tried Gimp but didn't install it, yet, and found it very understandable and after looking at the cost of the competitors like Photoshop etc will probably download it, and learn how to use. I have tried NCR for my video editing but no success yet, I had my 9.5mm wedding cine put on a disc and I'm trying to edit out some bright flashes.

Some of the new technology I like such as using the finger print for filing in the passwords, I use it for everything except my banking! I have most important things on CD! (no 5 1/2 floppies) then memory sticks but now tend to use my external hard drive, makes it very easy to move between computers. I'm a bit leary of all the "cloud" technology, here we often loose the internet and if your information is "up there" and not on your computer? I'm all for adding what I want rather than trying to remove things I don't, but that is marketing. 

2 hours ago, Vic Patterson said:

...............and after looking at the cost of the competitors like Photoshop etc..................

I did try photoshop for a couple of months. One of my daughters tried to move me on from my old software and got me a years monthly subscription to photoshop. That was two modules/apps - Lightroom and I can't remember the other one -  at about £20 a month. 

I played with it for the two months then went online to photoshop and convinced them I was too old to change and just had to cancel the contract. Told them, via online messaging, that I was 83 years old and that I just couldn't make the change from my old software. They wanted another 8 months monthly subscription to cancel the contract but I managed to persuade them to just cancel the contract without a cancellation fee of 8 months payments. Saved the daughter £200 and I just carried on with my Microsoft Digital Image Pro 10:).

As one of my 'hobbies from home' is repairing old damaged photos for members of Facebook groups and Rootschat I can't see me learning something new whilst the old software works fine for me.

A couple of my recent repairs :-   

Bedlington remembered Jill Doughty.jpg

Seaton Delaval Hazel price Stoker.jpg

Yorkie1975 Rootschat.png

• Like 1

It's very rewarding seeing the photos coming to back life again, I have also had some coloured using a Family Tree web site after I clean up using an Adobe program. All on my old Vista, I must try and use Gimp on the newer Windows!

My dad is in the middle, and mom and dad about 1930 I think.

Dad&Family002 2.jpg

Dad&Family001.jpg

Mom Dad.jpg

Mom Dad2.jpg

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now