Windows 11 available.

13 hours ago, Vic Patterson said:

It's very rewarding seeing the photos coming to back life again, I have also had some coloured using a Family Tree web site after I clean up using an Adobe program. All on my old Vista, I must try and use Gimp on the newer Windows!

@Vic Patterson I agree Vic, very rewarding. I have never had any photo that I have restored printed off but I assume they should be Ok.

I have never had any of my old B&W photos, or any I have restored for others, uploaded to any of the coulouring Apps or services. It's just the way I think Vic; If the photo was taken in B&W I feel it's part of the history and I prefer to leave itthat way. Having said that I have seen some old B&W that look excellent when 'colourisation' is applied. I know the colouring procedures must analyze the B&W shades to determine the colours to add but some just don't look right.

There is a  Free Photo Restoration & Date Old Photographs section on the genealogy site RootsChat. A lot of the work is excellent but, in my mind, some of the manual colouring of a restored old B&W or sepia photos is just over the top. You don't have to join to see the work they do, you can view all the original postings of the damaged photos and all of the responses from the group of restorers. I joined (and you only receive emails when you actually post a response to one of the postings) and occasionally post a restored photo. It has been a good way for me to practise my 'clarting':thumbsup:.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=h2au1lpfk82vgtfr1lue0rlae0

20 minutes ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

@Vic Patterson I agree Vic, very rewarding. I have never had any photo that I have restored printed off but I assume they should be Ok.

I have never had any of my old B&W photos, or any I have restored for others, uploaded to any of the coulouring Apps or services. It's just the way I think Vic; If the photo was taken in B&W I feel it's part of the history and I prefer to leave itthat way. Having said that I have seen some old B&W that look excellent when 'colourisation' is applied. I know the colouring procedures must analyze the B&W shades to determine the colours to add but some just don't look right.

There is a  Free Photo Restoration & Date Old Photographs section on the genealogy site RootsChat. A lot of the work is excellent but, in my mind, some of the manual colouring of a restored old B&W or sepia photos is just over the top. You don't have to join to see the work they do, you can view all the original postings of the damaged photos and all of the responses from the group of restorers. I joined (and you only receive emails when you actually post a response to one of the postings) and occasionally post a restored photo. It has been a good way for me to practise my 'clarting':thumbsup:.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=h2au1lpfk82vgtfr1lue0rlae0

RootsChat.jpg

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now