• Maggie/915
    • _pauls
    • rosco
    • James
    • Rigger
    • Malcolm Robinson
    • Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

This poll is closed to new votes

The room behind the cafeteria was the table tennis room can't remember if there was three tables or two tables in there. There was a snooker table in the cafeteria.

I remember in them days we used to all meet in the YM then we would go to Moscies and then back to the YM. We went to the YM every night apart from Saturday night when we would go to the Duke of Wellington working men's club at Blyth, many a time we would miss the last bus and have to walk home. Mind you after a few pints it felt like I floating home.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pete said:

The room behind the cafeteria was the table tennis room can't remember if there was three tables or two tables in there. There was a snooker table in the cafeteria.

@Pete - my mind kept saying snooker table but I was trying to place it in the same room as the table tennis tables:unsure:. Now you have said where it was my mind is at rest. As far as I can remember there were three table tennis tables available. One on the right, behind the kitchen wall facing toward the back window, as you went through the door and two on the left at 90 degrees to the one on the right.

A quick diagram of the layout as I, and you hjave pointed out, can remember :- 

YMCA rooms2.jpg

ps. I've forgotten to put the doors into the loos:) 

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)
  • Thanks 1

That drawing is spot on Alan, but where you have got the question mark I can not remember anything being there but I suppose there must have been. There was also men's shower room next to the gents toilets.

As for no doors in the loos, well there's plenty of room on the grass behind the building😀

2 hours ago, Pete said:

...................... but where you have got the question mark I can not remember anything being there but I suppose there must have been. 

@Pete - was there a room where the cleaners would have all their gear? 

982988606_YMCArooms2.thumb.jpg.ed941dd4bb412bded58f15b14a2fee43.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pete said:

CL was there a cloak room next to the ladies loos? 

Not a separate entity as far as I remember. The cloakroom and loos were in the same room. basically a row of coat hooks on the wall and a full length mirror. Toiletsin the ladies occupied the same site as the showers in the gents.

3 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Not a separate entity as far as I remember. The cloakroom and loos were in the same room. basically a row of coat hooks on the wall and a full length mirror. Toiletsin the ladies occupied the same site as the showers in the gents.

So Can I stop clarting and leave the YM layout as it is :)

18 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

So Can I stop clarting and leave the YM layout as it is

Well, the leader's office door opened left to right and the lounge door was on the right of the room and I think there was a door in the corner of the table tennis room giving access to the stage. But that's splitting hairs. Good job, well done!

39 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

Well, the leader's office door opened left to right and the lounge door was on the right of the room and I think there was a door in the corner of the table tennis room giving access to the stage.

One will do a new plan but first I must stew over 'a door  in the corner ..................to the stage' - I can't remember , must have been concentrating on the 'three crowns' (or was it three stars?) - we played table tennis almost every time we were in the building.

Don't remember a door in that room that went to the stage. There was a door at the back of the room that went out to the grass area behind the YM. The stage was further forward than it is in Alans drawing as there was two changing rooms at the back of the stage, one to the left hand side of the stage and one to the right.

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

Don't remember a door in that room that went to the stage. There was a door at the back of the room that went out to the grass area behind the YM. The stage was further forward than it is in Alans drawing as there was two changing rooms at the back of the stage, one to the left hand side of the stage and one to the right.

I will work in the updates. I am now thinking CL is right and there was a door from the table tennis room and you opened that and there was some steps up to the stage. But I could be totally wrong.

Pete do you think the door at the back of the table tennis room, out onto the grass area, would have been one of those emergency exits? 

41 minutes ago, Pete said:

It could have been an emergency exit but I still don't remember a door in the table tennis room going onto the stage but I could be wrong.

I'm thinking he same as you @Pete but it does seem feasible - if there was a performance going on on stage then access to the rooms at the back of the stage without going via the front of the stage where the audience could see would be possible.:iiam:

Add to that I just remembered why there wasn't a door into a room before the photography room = it was the back wall of the fairly large equipment storage room in the sports hall:thumbsup: - where the gymnastics equipment - pommel horse - box - coconut mats + badminton net etc. were stored. So that would scuppers my idea of a storage cupboard/room for cleaning materials - mops - buckets etc. - but there must have been one. Can't remember the cleaners carrying in their own gear every week:rolleyes:.

But I think we now have 95% of the layout so I will do a revised plan, with straight lines, when I get a spare hour.:)

Spoke to an old friend of mine on the phone today he has assured me that the only door in the table tennis room was the door at the back which led onto the grass area. As you approached the stage on the left hand side the stairs that led to the stage were up against that wall. Cl could be right about the storage cupboard but I have also been informed that there was a storage cupboard after the dark room   just before you entered the café area. The door into the big hall was in the café area. If you entered the café and turned immediately right there was a door on that wall that took you into the big hall. 

Edited by Pete

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Alan you need to put more tables in the café area😄 only joking, you have done a splendid job thank you. 

I couldn't remember, for sure, if thy were square or round tables. I thought square but I doubted myself. 

I see I missed the door off the storage room and dark room. Updated images with doors added.

Project1 with images.jpg

ps. I keep thinking there was a door, into that storage cupboard next to the photography room, from the snack bar room🙂

pps. I don't like these new Smileys & Emotion - prefer the old ones:thumbsup:.

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

@Canny lass & @Pete - I posted the aerial photo of the YM + my latest plan on the FB group Bygone Bedlington to see if anyone could remember the layout of the rooms.

Check out these two comments and if required I will update my plan - probably in the new year:) 

Paul Strener.png

John Richardson.png