• Maggie/915
    • _pauls
    • rosco
    • James
    • Rigger
    • Malcolm Robinson
    • Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

This poll is closed to new votes

@Andy Millne - to follow on from @Bedlingtonian's 2020 award's would you create a 'voting table' for 2021.?

Id's I think should be included are - @Canny lass- @Vic Patterson - @HIGH PIT WILMA - @Bedlingtonian - @Andy Millne - @Pete- @John Fox (foxy)@Jammy - @lilbill15 - @Maggie/915- @_pauls - @rosco - @James - @Rigger & @Malcolm Robinson and naturally any other member that anyone knows has contributed to the group over the year.

awards 2021.jpg

Piper award 2021a.jpg

1 hour ago, lilbill15 said:

Canny Lass for 2021 Piper award (sorry, can’t find voting form). xxR 

@lilbill15 - At the top of this page under Discussion>Talk of the Town>Piper Award 2021 - Andy has created a 'Poll' with all the nominees names👍

54 minutes ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

@lilbill15 - At the top of this page under Discussion>Talk of the Town>Piper Award 2021 - Andy has created a 'Poll' with all the nominees names👍

Nope, can’t find “poll”. Please just accept my nomination for Canny Lass.

39 minutes ago, lilbill15 said:

Nope, can’t find “poll”. Please just accept my nomination for Canny Lass.

1 hour ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

@Andy Millne - would you place @lilbill15's vote?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The poll is now closed and this years Piper Award goes to @Canny lass who throughout this pandemic has kept us occupied with her weekly quiz and has done a load or family and historic research to help many members of the group. 

Piper award 2021 Canny Lass.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Congratulations Cl, a well deserved award for your dedication to our sanity, I certainly enjoy the quiz and can only follow the historic research, I must also congratulate all the other members for their contributions especially Eggy!

Covid has had a very negative effect on everyone and I feel your contribution has had a very positive outcome especially during these difficult trying times.  

• Like 1

Thank you kind sirs! I am delighted, honoured and humbled to receive this prestigious award.

I coudn’t have done it without your help - and the help of Covid which gave me, and you, loads of spare time. There are a couple of others I’d like to mention and thank for their help along the way:

My parents, who provided the raw material.

The people of Bedlington and Netherton who moulded that material.

Friends and colleagues around the world who made adjustments and amendments to the design.

The many educational establishments who nurtured my thirst for knowledge.

Esther at the corner shop.

Tommy the milkman.

The colliery pollis at Netherton.

The next door neighbours, here and elsewhere.

Santa Clause.

The Witch of Wookey Hole.

Moscardini’s coffee shop.

Lidl’s.

The staff of Keenleyside’s.

The Swedish Government, for letting me in.

The British Government, for letting me out.

Bedlington YMCA.

The Metropolitan Police Force.

The Canadian Royal Mounties.

The Toon Moor.

Newcastle United FC.

Morrison’s.

SAAB motors.

… and not forgetting:

Robson’s the printers.

Jack, the ice-cream man.

Netherton Socail Club.

Prestos, Market Place, Bedlington.

Jimmy Millne.

The French Onion Sellers.

The Beano.

The nr 48 United Bus.

St Cuthbert’s Church.

Doncaster Royal Infirmary.

… and, last but not least,

Old Uncle Tom Cobley (and all).

Thank you once again kind people of Bedders.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Thank you kind sirs! I am delighted, honoured and humbled to receive this prestigious award.

I coudn’t have done it without your help - and the help of Covid which gave me, and you, loads of spare time. There are a couple of others I’d like to mention and thank for their help along the way:

Bedlington YMCA.

Thank you once again kind people of Bedders.

Have you been practising this speech :book:

CL - have I asked this before - Did you go to the YMCA when John Bygate was the leader? = when I used to go with Don, Walter and Dave who is taking the photo :-  

YMCA c1965 names.jpg

4 hours ago, Canny lass said:

John Bygate doesn't ring any bells. Mr Ruddy was in charge of proceedings when I was a regular.

Mr Ruddy doesn't ring a bell with me. When I started going probably around 1963-64 I can only remember John Bygate but I know he took over from someone when I used to go but I can't remember a name. I'll have a think. 

23 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

Mr Ruddy doesn't ring a bell with me. When I started going probably around 1963-64 I can only remember John Bygate but I know he took over from someone when I used to go but I can't remember a name. I'll have a think. 

Derick Ruddy was followed by John Bygate, 63 64 would be about the time he took over from Derick Ruddy.

Derick Ruddy wore glasses and had his hair combed straight back I think he was going a bit thin on top. Both of them were in the new building. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pete said:

Derick Ruddy was followed by John Bygate, 63 64 would be about the time he took over from Derick Ruddy.

Derick Ruddy wore glasses and had his hair combed straight back I think he was going a bit thin on top. Both of them were in the new building. 

Cheers @Pete - I still can't place him but someone had to be there and in charge before John Bygate (JB) turned up. 

If i remember correctly the YM leader had the first room on the left corridor as went into the building.

I must have bumped into other leaders before JB turned. My mam's aunty Elsie used to take us to the old building (early 1960's) for the fund raising events for the new building = Beetle Drive with Pea & Pie Suppers. Loads of mature ladies shouting - I just need a leg to get beetle:). My mam's cousin, Owen Humble, used to have a dark room, across from the YM leaders office, where he developed his photos.     

1 hour ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

Cheers @Pete - I still can't place him but someone had to be there and in charge before John Bygate (JB) turned up. 

If i remember correctly the YM leader had the first room on the left corridor as went into the building.

I must have bumped into other leaders before JB turned. My mam's aunty Elsie used to take us to the old building (early 1960's) for the fund raising events for the new building = Beetle Drive with Pea & Pie Suppers. Loads of mature ladies shouting - I just need a leg to get beetle:). My mam's cousin, Owen Humble, used to have a dark room, across from the YM leaders office, where he developed his photos.     

Your correct Alan his office was as you have described. Next to his office going up the corridor was the lounge were they often held a late service (epilogue) this was done by the YM leader usually consisted of a Bible reading and a short prayer.

I remember Owen Humble and there was another guy called Bill that did a lot of work behind the counter selling cups of coffee, Pepsi and the likes. The dark room was as you have indicated but it was further up the corridor.

I was a member of the old stone building as well as the new building. It cost two and six pence a year (subs) in the old building but I can't remember what the cost was in the new building. A friend of mine who still lives in Bedlington may still have his original membership card. Next time I speak to him I will ask if he still has it, if he has I will try and get a copy and will post it on here.

Great days, fond memories were did all the time go?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1