History Society 2021/22

Maggie/915

@Canny lass & @Maggie/915 Googling 'Headstone Symbols' returns many web sites and from checking quite a few of the sites they aren't all using the exact same meanings - definitions etc. etc.

Is there one site that historians etc use to help decipher the symbols or do they have to compare various religious denominations and sects and come up with what they believe to be the meaning?:)

There are indeed many sites covering this subject, Eggy. My experience over the years has been that symbols and their meanings can vary depending on: which century the inscriptions were made, where they were made (England, Scotland or sometimes even which county) and the religion of the deceased. None of these are necessarily to be found on the stone itself. I look for clues elsewhere. The churchyard itself often gives a clue to the religion, the name of the deceased might hint at his origins (McPherson, Llewellyn, Johnson) and dates that have been eroded by wind and rain can often be revealed by linguistic research on any remaining text.

You need to cover all aspects in your research,. However, I don't think there are many symbols that differ greatly in their meaning.

Edited by Canny lass

1 hour ago, Canny lass said:

There are indeed many sites covering this subject, Eggy. My experience over the years has been that symbols and their meanings can vary depending on: which century the inscriptions were made, where they were made (England, Scotland or sometimes even which county) and the religion of the deceased. None of these are necessarily to be found on the stone itself. I look for clues elsewhere. The churchyard itself often gives a clue to the religion, the name of the deceased might hint at his origins (McPherson, Llewellyn, Johnson) and dates that have been eroded by wind and rain can often be revealed by linguistic research on any remaining text.

You need to cover all aspects in your research,. However, I don't think there are many symbols that differ greatly in their meaning.

:thumbsup: 

18 hours ago, Maggie/915 said:

New Facebook Group 
hopefully it goes well  Bedlington is so important in our lives 

@Maggie/915 - I see the Bedlingtonshire History group has been created as a 'Private' group whch means that only members of the group can see what is posted in the group.

If the intention is to post details of the groups monthly meetings then the general public = all Facebook members whether in a group or not - will not be able to see those details.

Would it be worth you having a chat with Tony Lamsdale about Private versus Public?

You could checkoit Private versus Public by searching, via the Bedlingtonshire History Facebook group for the two Morpeth groups = Morpeth Matters (Private) and Morpeth History Matters (Public) :-

Morpeth.png.d2e7c95abd3f7da96784148d74ef52da.png

Private group.png

Public v Private group.png

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now