Millbank residents

Tonyp

I said I would do this I'm sure plenty of people in the forum would know these people these names are from late 60's to the 70's No7 John Maddison lived there he had 3 kids Colin , Margaret & Joan he's wife died & he married again No 8 was a guy called John Lyons I think he drank in the Monkey he's wife left him I believe he had 2 children jean & William never new what happened to him No9 I could write a story was the Maguire's there kids were Alan Cathy,Micheal,Colin,Rob & Peter next door to them was the Robinsons No10 mr Robinsonson worked at the pit but they kept themselves to there selves they had 4 children Pauline who went to Bedlington grammar Clifford nice guy Caroline & young Stewart who was Down syndrome will write the whole street hopefully the forum can recall what happened to these guy's 

6 minutes ago, Tonyp said:

I said I would do this I'm sure plenty of people in the forum would know these people these names are from late 60's to the 70's No7 John Maddison lived there he had 3 kids Colin , Margaret & Joan he's wife died & he married again No 8 was a guy called John Lyons I think he drank in the Monkey he's wife left him I believe he had 2 children jean & William never new what happened to him No9 I could write a story was the Maguire's there kids were Alan Cathy,Micheal,Colin,Rob & Peter next door to them was the Robinsons No10 mr Robinsonson worked at the pit but they kept themselves to there selves they had 4 children Pauline who went to Bedlington grammar Clifford nice guy Caroline & young Stewart who was Down syndrome will write the whole street hopefully the forum can recall what happened to these guy's 

I'm no hep @Tonyp - I was BGS 1960 to 1965 but can't remember a Pauline Robinson from my time there.

37 minutes ago, Tonyp said:

@Tonyp - I tell fibs (= I didn't read all your comment ) - I do a little on the Maguire's. Alan, the eldest and according to his Facebook page he lives in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne but I don't know where about.

1627261595_AlanMaguire.png.b78d6a6f66d4c968772a8b5977cee21a.png

Alan was my mate in the 1960's, along with a large group of us that spent many evenings in the Percy Arms, Station Road. I know Alan has commented on the Bygone Bedlington Facebook group this year. Last year he updated the names of this photo - Percy Arms dart team, 1973.

1674171335_PercyArmsdartsteam1978text.thumb.jpg.a962fa39a6742572240c724c261eaf34.jpg

I don't know the exact year but I know after I had moved away from Bedlington, Alan's brother Mick was killed in a road accident outside the Percy Arms. I think it was the early 1970's.

I don't know about the rest of the Maguire family.

At No11 was mrs Barrass & her son Kieth he moved to Plymouth I believe Mrs Barrasses mum lived with them she died in the late 60's she was100 I think mrs Horsley she must have been born in the 1860's Mrs Barrasses husband was killed at bumasund pit I believe No12 was Bob & Nancy Cox they had 3 Sons Ronald Rob & Paul. Nancy was a Ward her brother was manager of Bedlington Terriers for years Paul died in the 80's at a young age with cancer No13 was Dickie &Marjorie Patterson they had a daughter forgetting her name now 14 Mr & Mrs Coates don't know much about them as they kept themselves to themself but if our football went into there garden they would keep it till one of our parents went banging on there door which always ended up in a row. No15 was a guy called Bill Short he had 1 arm he lost it at the pit he was a nice guy always remember we used to say to him "show us your arm". He did & took he's false teeth out & chase us at the time we were terrified but looking back it was so funny More to follow 

• Like 1

Just now, Tonyp said:

At No11 was mrs Barrass & her son Kieth he moved to Plymouth I believe Mrs Barrasses mum lived with them she died in the late 60's she was100 I think mrs Horsley she must have been born in the 1860's Mrs Barrasses husband was killed at bumasund pit I believe No12 was Bob & Nancy Cox they had 3 Sons Ronald Rob & Paul. Nancy was a Ward her brother was manager of Bedlington Terriers for years Paul died in the 80's at a young age with cancer No13 was Dickie &Marjorie Patterson they had a daughter forgetting her name now 14 Mr & Mrs Coates don't know much about them as they kept themselves to themself but if our football went into there garden they would keep it till one of our parents went banging on there door which always ended up in a row. No15 was a guy called Bill Short he had 1 arm he lost it at the pit he was a nice guy always remember we used to say to him "show us your arm". He did & took he's false teeth out & chase us at the time we were terrified but looking back it was so funny More to follow 

Sorry about my spelling 

Hi Marra's, I played with, Ronnie Leyland, and Alan Wilkinson, from my first day at the Village Infants School, Church Lane, from 1949,I sat next to Alan in the same desk all our school lives, and played doon the woods after school. They lived next door to each other in Millbank Place. 

My oldest (Deceased) Sister, played with and went to school with Millie Madison.. a lovely family, they live right across the green at the back row of houses. I knew Alan Maguire well, and grew up with him but were they not Catholics, i. e not Whitley Schoolers? 

There was a Bob Lyall Electrician at Bates, smashing natured lad, (as was Alan Maguire!) There was over a hundred of us lads from Millbank, the Haig and Beattie roads, the Hollymoonters, the Millfielders, and we aal just got on wi each other.. it was nowt like ye hear nooadays... lassies arranging ambush on a disabled lad and inciting lads to kill him.. what hae we cum ti? Tony, ye are reet thi aad folks used ti say ti us bairns, aye, we had nowt, but we were happy... 

Whey, lukkin back, we cud say the syem thing! WE had nowt eetha, rations were on, not even a jam sammidge till teatime, but we played oot aal day doon the woods, owa thi opencast mine, doon Barntin Tip... THI TIP!! lukking for pram wheels ti mek a bony!

They were happy days! 

• Like 1

Hi HPW I've still got half the street to do,will finish it next week yeah the Wilkinsons & the Leylands lived in millbank promise to finish it next week. I have no time this weekend as my Mate from London is coming to Budapest for a visit nice to here from you again 

• 1 year later...
On 21/09/2021 at 15:34, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

@Tonyp - I tell fibs (= I didn't read all your comment ) - I do a little on the Maguire's. Alan, the eldest and according to his Facebook page he lives in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne but I don't know where about.

1627261595_AlanMaguire.png.b78d6a6f66d4c968772a8b5977cee21a.png

Alan was my mate in the 1960's, along with a large group of us that spent many evenings in the Percy Arms, Station Road. I know Alan has commented on the Bygone Bedlington Facebook group this year. Last year he updated the names of this photo - Percy Arms dart team, 1973.

1674171335_PercyArmsdartsteam1978text.thumb.jpg.a962fa39a6742572240c724c261eaf34.jpg

I don't know the exact year but I know after I had moved away from Bedlington, Alan's brother Mick was killed in a road accident outside the Percy Arms. I think it was the early 1970's.

I don't know about the rest of the Maguire family.

Hi ,  Kathleen is my mam shes in a bungalow behind the police station my uncle alan lives next to netherton club my uncle colin lives at sleekburn my uncle peter died a few year bk bless him.

• Thanks 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now