Northumberland Rail Line.

Think it was last Thursday, BBC NE News showed, from inside one of the train carriages, the station platform etc. as the train passed Bedlington North & South signal boxes. 

in the early 1960's I was never a frequent passenger from the railway station - spent more time on the wooden bridge :thumbsup: 

• 5 months later...

I just caught a bit of Michael Portillo's BBC2 Great Coastal Railway programme tonight which featured the plans for the re-introduction of passenger services through Bedlington Station.  Nice footage of Front Street and the station buildings with a couple of talking heads outlining the plans.  Further footage of track/train up to Lynemouth power station.  I'll try to get the whole show on the BBC IPlayer to watch the whole thing ... maybe the Bedlington dispora may also want to do the same to view Bedders.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Symptoms said:

I just caught a bit of Michael Portillo's BBC2 Great Coastal Railway programme tonight which featured the plans for the re-introduction of passenger services through Bedlington Station.  Nice footage of Front Street and the station buildings with a couple of talking heads outlining the plans.  Further footage of track/train up to Lynemouth power station.  I'll try to get the whole show on the BBC IPlayer to watch the whole thing ... maybe the Bedlington dispora may also want to do the same to view Bedders.

Watched it on IPlayer this morning - 2 years to go then there could be passenger trains👍

• 8 months later...

@Symptoms - I don't have any images but I'm told the road across the railway lines at Bedlington Station is closed whilst they demolish the buildings.

601313738_BedStation.thumb.jpg.5c81d0cde0bc02d046e7b28c8868a28e.jpg

The residents in Melrose Court have been told that work is soon to start on the building of an engine maintenance shed and a fence is to be erected between the road into Melrose Court and the railway line.

Engine maintenance shed (1).jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Aww... the footbridge is gone!  Something that should have been listed even if it had to be moved to allow for progress.  So much that's irrelevant is listed, but the real (industrial) heritage - the stuff that really mattered in ordinary people's lives - seems to get the chop without a moment's consideration. :(

34 minutes ago, threegee said:

Aww... the footbridge is gone!  Something that should have been listed even if it had to be moved to allow for progress.  So much that's irrelevant is listed, but the real (industrial) heritage - the stuff that really mattered in ordinary people's lives - seems to get the chop without a moment's consideration. :(

@threegee - according to Brian Jenkins (Bygone Bedlington Facebook group) the footbridge demolished c1973:(

Footbridge.png

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

15 hours ago, Vic Patterson said:

Good debate, lots of good points, correct decision , in my opinion.

I'm with you Vic.

Link to the Northumberland County Council - NL - site with the new design :-

https://www.northumberlandline.uk/post/bedlington-station-design

Google Maps aerial an street views + NL proposed alterations :-

comp.jpg

Confused! The "South" building to be demolished is "North" of the "North" building that is to be retained, (but it is "South" of the signal box. )Who was holding the compass that day?

If they couldn't use the original building name why not just assign a number or letter?

3 hours ago, Vic Patterson said:

Confused! The "South" building to be demolished is "North" of the "North" building that is to be retained, (but it is "South" of the signal box. )Who was holding the compass that day?

If they couldn't use the original building name why not just assign a number or letter?

These Google Maps shots, with some text added, might help @Vic Patterson

Bedlington South.jpg

N and S.jpg

• Like 1

I now understand the reason for referring the buildings North and South, my confusion comes from the building that looks like it will be the "new" station/ticket office, isn't assigned a title or number on the concept drawings (located between #7-#8-#9.) I thought it was being referenced as "North" as the consultant planner Gordon Haliday refers to it as the North building to the south of the "South" building that is being discussed for demolition. As does the illustrations! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vic Patterson said:

No ticket office! next they will be getting rid of the Station Master and Guard's van, who will be closing the doors and  waving the red/green flags? RF tags next..." Heartbeat" just won't be the same.

New trains will all have automatic doors, like the London underground trains, and operated by the multitasking train driver:D 

"There will be a shuttle bus to get people from one side of the crossing to the other..."

airbus-air-taxi-2-791x510.jpg

Well, I can dream!  This one was supposed to be flying by 2018, and it seems there are quite a number of such designs.  Maybe it's going to take Elon to bring one to reality!

• Like 3

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now