Site info

Can anybody explain to me what the 'hand-clapping' icon next to my name is? Passing my mouse over it reveals that I am a Newbie (1/14). You can call me what you will but after 10 years and 2½k posts I don't understand it. I'm sure there's a good explanation - it's just avoiding detection for me at the minute.

3 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Can anybody explain to me what the 'hand-clapping' icon next to my name is? Passing my mouse over it reveals that I am a Newbie (1/14). You can call me what you will but after 10 years and 2½k posts I don't understand it. I'm sure there's a good explanation - it's just avoiding detection for me at the minute.

Nope - I checked 7 and they are all 'Newbie (1/14) - except me ☺️ - I'm 'Rookie (2/14):iiam: 

Project8.jpg

Went to Log out and got :- 

Project9.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

.... I just found them on my profile:

Conversation

First Post

Collaborator

Posting Machine

and

Reacting Well

... but I'm still none the wiser. Explanations required:

Who is dishing out these badges and why?

What is a "Posting Machine"?

Who am I "collaborating" with?

"Reacting Well" with what?

Is this site changing from the pleasant, helpful, informative site I've always found it to be turning into some sort of competition among members?

3 hours ago, Canny lass said:

.... I just found them on my profile:

Conversation

First Post

Collaborator

Posting Machine

and

Reacting Well

... but I'm still none the wiser. Explanations required:

Who is dishing out these badges and why?

What is a "Posting Machine"?

Who am I "collaborating" with?

"Reacting Well" with what?

Is this site changing from the pleasant, helpful, informative site I've always found it to be turning into some sort of competition among members?

@Canny lass - if you select the 'Recent Badges' it gives you a fuller display and meaning.

I'm guessing that even @Andy Millne & @John Fox (foxy) don't know the full ins & outs of these that must havr come in when the system was upgraded a few months back.

recent badges.png

CL badges.png

Eggy badges.png

19 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Yup @Canny lass, I’ve already texted Andy millne because I’ve suddenly become newbie after pup, terrier, contributory member then down the snake to Newbie!? What is going on?@Foxy @Andy Millne John Fox isn’t even registering.

@lilbill15 It’s not the diminution in ranking that bothers me, rather the fact that we need to be ranked at all. OK, we’ve always had a sort of ranking system with newbie, pup, terrier, Bedlingtonian etc. but at least those ranking names were a pleasant element having, as they did, some connection to Bedlington and they said nothing more personal about a member than how many posts they’ve shared. The new ranking system, on the other hand, has no connection whatsoever to Bedlington. Instead, it seems to be centered on the individual scoring points on just about every activity they undertake. This seems, to me, to be totally unnecessary. We aren’t in competition with each other. We're just a group of people with a common interest.

Counting and documenting every action we take here seems a little unfair as we all use the facility in different ways. For instance, take the response buttons on each post. You use them a lot while I hardly ever use them – not because I don’t like what people write, am not thankful for what people write or don’t have any emotional response to what people write. I just prefer to write a comment. It doesn’t take so much longer to write ‘thanks’ (unless you’re using a mobile device with small tangents and large fingers) - then, those shortcuts can come in handy.

The questions must be asked: what is the use in documenting these responses and is it logical that I get a badge because you've responded to my posts in this manner 10 times (arbitrary number) while you do not get a badge because I chose to write a reply? The answers to these two questions are: no use at all and no it is not. A post without a response is every bit as valuable and appreciated as a post with a response,

14 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

@Canny lass - if you select the 'Recent Badges' it gives you a fuller display and meaning.

Thanks Eggy,

14 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

I'm guessing that even @Andy Millne & @John Fox (foxy) don't know the full ins & outs of these

Well, when they do get the hang of it, perhaps they can tell me why (according to the screen shot of my profile page you posted above) two badges were bestowed upon me  for:

"One month later (a month since joining)"

and another for

"One year in (a year since joining)"

both awarded at 08.31, 7 hours ago, on Tuesday this week? :iiam:

I’m not sure that I want to get the hang of this anymore. It shouldn’t be something like a ratmaze to get information. I can simplify things by just googling and it’ll take me to the subject within the Bedcouk website . I LOVE the conversation especially with the Illuminati such as Canny Lass and Eggy and occasional input from the likes of Alan Dickson but it’s very disheartening to run the gauntlet of the “rules “ and the intricacies of the system that was convoluted and recently appears to have changed for no obvious reason. In future I’ll be using a simpler portal. I’m too old for computer games. Regrettably I’m out of Bedlington.co.uk, regards RoseanneRainbow 🌈x

1 hour ago, lilbill15 said:

............... I can simplify things by just googling and it’ll take me to the subject within the Bedcouk website . I LOVE the conversation especially with the Illuminati such as Canny Lass and Eggy and occasional input from the likes of Alan Dickson but it’s very disheartening to run the gauntlet of the “rules “ and the intricacies of the system that was convoluted and recently appears to have changed for no obvious reason. In future I’ll be using a simpler portal. I’m too old for computer games. Regrettably I’m out of Bedlington.co.uk, regards RoseanneRainbow 🌈x

@lilbill15 - Googling is just the same as the 'Search' option.🙂 Don't forget us - don't give up your membership - stay a member, it costs nowt :thumbsup: and keep coming back for info to keep your mind active:punk: 

• Like 1

Oh @Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) couldn’t forget about you and the lovely folks in the group. I’m actually a contributing member so won’t lose touch. Just need to find a less convoluted way to talk to you. The recent changes have just confirmed that I can’t be chewed with this complicated website. As I said, I’ll use another door. I’m not going anywhere, just round the side door 😁🌈xxxxxxxxx

• Like 1

@lilbill15 Congratulations! I see you've been promoted to "Apprentice (3/14)". Maybe we're getting points for using the side-door as well?

I agree, the recent changes have taken the fun out of the site, but don't give up yet. Andy is very good at listening to- and sorting out site problems. The personal messaging service seems to have escaped the ranking system - should you have any queries and don't want to post till it gets sorted.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, lilbill15 said:

yer purple (not quite iridescent) hat symbol

I do have an incandescent purple hat but it's attached to a busty brunette which I've tried to redigera bort several times. Unfortunately it's not possible without removing 2/3 of the hat as well.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

I do have an incandescent purple hat but it's attached to a busty brunette which I've tried to ------------ several times. Unfortunately it's not possible without removing 2/3 of the hat as well.

I might be able to work on that busty brunette for you:thumbsup:

• Haha 1

@Canny lass bit confused by your busty brunette reference? I’m only seeing a fetching little purple hat!? Maybe @Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) has already taken her through hands 😉? Also looking like @Malcolm Robinsonis keen to get his hands on her, or maybe he’s after your fetching millinery? His tic is wide open to misinterpretation, 🤷🏼‍♀️😂🌈x

15 hours ago, Canny lass said:

I do have an incandescent purple hat but it's attached to a busty brunette which I've tried to redigera bort several times

This is what happens when you  talk on the phone in one language and write on a computer in another language at the same time! Redigera bort = edit out, in case anybody was wondering. Clearly my multi-tasking skills are already in decline.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, lilbill15 said:

Also looking like @Malcolm Robinsonis keen to get his hands on her, or maybe he’s after your fetching millinery?

Malcolm is a man of great integrity. I'm sure it's the hat he's referring to.

5 hours ago, lilbill15 said:

His tic is wide open to misinterpretation

Euphemism??

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

This is what happens when you  talk on the phone in one language and write on a computer in another language at the same time! Redigera bort = edit out, in case anybody was wondering. Clearly my multi-tasking skills are already in decline.

I Googled it and '---------------' = I edited it out :D

edit out.jpg

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now