Netherton - Newcastle Weekly Chronicle 13 September 1873

10 minutes ago, lilbill15 said:

OMG! So nothing has changed in Bedlington since 1873!?  “Narrow minded and puritanical “, eh? What’s new? 🌈x

However @Canny lass @Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)etc.  ?? Where does this come from? Did typewriters exist in 1873, please? It’s beautifully written, extremely descriptive and I’d love to believe this document, but I don’t until it’s provenance is provided, please! I really want to believe this account but currently don’t trust it, sorry 🌈xx

@lilbill15 I can vouch for the authenticity of this text. I’ve seen the original (National Archives). It is, as you suggest, a transcript of the original. This is evident in the transcriber’s use of the Latin “sic” indicating that he/she has quoted the text verbatim to include even the author’s non-standard language use.

“and away to the south east firey (sic) heaps” (p8)

“Away from the old pit is what is what (sic) is very appropriately” (p8)

The article is one in a series, Our Colliery Villages, published in the Newcastle Weekly Chronicle 1872 onwards. There are a few transcripts floating about on the internet if you don't want to subscribe to the NA.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

@lilbill15 I can vouch for the authenticity of this text. I’ve seen the original (National Archives). It is, as you suggest, a transcript of the original. This is evident in the transcriber’s use of the Latin “sic” indicating that he/she has quoted the text verbatim to include even the author’s non-standard language use.

“and away to the south east firey (sic) heaps” (p8)

“Away from the old pit is what is what (sic) is very appropriately” (p8)

The article is one in a series, Our Colliery Villages, published in the Newcastle Weekly Chronicle 1872 onwards. There are a few transcripts floating about on the internet if you don't want to subscribe to the NA.

@Canny lassthanks, I’m delighted that you’ve confirmed this. I already use the National Archives (at your suggestion) am finding tons of stuff, thanks again. I’ll delve for the rest of these articles 😁xx

@Kevin1956 thanks for that interesting read, never thought that Netherton would get such a write up👌.

I can't remember ever hearing the term - Bob an Joan (page 2).

Enjoyed the description of the 'old colliery caller' (page 3)

I'm please by the time I was delivered into this world the '...narrow minded and puritanical folk of Bedlington..' (page 8 ) had slightly eased.

I see Netherton is numbered XLV = 45 in 'OUR COLLIERY VILLAGES'. Not that I want to read them all but does anyone know if there is a full list of the Colliery Villages that the author has written about? 

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)
  • Like 1

@Kevin1956& @Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) I’m echoing Mr Eggy’s comments, dead interesting reading 😁, @Canny lasshas pointed me to the National Archives for more. What better to do on such a soggy day as it is here? A bowl of mutton pilaff, a full teapot and a rummage in historical documents, bliss! 😁🌈x

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now