DISAPPEARED! 25 Millbank Crescent.

12 hours ago, Tonyp said:

I don't know what Knox road has to do with millbank terrace tomorrow I will give you a list off names who lived in the 1960s who lived in millbank place the guy who built Knox road lived there more to follow millbank terrace long way from Knox road 

@Tonyp - it hasn't Tony. As normal we have gone off the original topic:whistle:. lillbill was asking if we could identify the area where one of her old family photos was taken. One possibility was Beaty Road area and I was just trying to remember when Knox Road was built and buy yours, and @Jr6468's comment, my estimate of the 1980's is totally wrong🙂

We just can't work out what street, or indeed if it is Bedlington, the photo could have been taken.

lillbill photo.jpeg

13 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

609109696_BeattyRoad.thumb.jpg.083ccd22f3503c8a4783d6626b5c7dec.jpg

I just can't see lilbill's photo being in the Beatty Road area - but I could be wrong.☺️

I don't seem to be explaining this very well. let's have another bash at it. The houses in your photo (shown above) are on Beatty Road. The houses on the other side of the street are also on Beatty Road (that's 'your' house on the left):

Beatty Road, both sides. (2).png

If I go left to the last house on 'my' side of Beatty Road it's this one:

1 Beatty Road.png

Edited by Canny lass

35 minutes ago, Tonyp said:

Sorry canny lass didn't mean to offend but actually the entrance to Knox Road is Beatty road & millbank place as I said accept my apologies 

No offence taken, Tony. I was using Google maps for my description and it appeared to me that Knox Road was a continuation of Millbank Road. Here I've marked Beatty Road (yellow), the houses on the corner of Beatty Road and Millbank Road (pink) and the spot where I think the photographer may have been standing (green). 

Beatty Road map (2)_LI.jpg

Eggy, I have no idea what happened with my last post. I tried to upload anothe photo and four times it refused to accept it " server error". Then my edit time had run out. Here's the continuation:

That's the house which I think appears in @lilbill15's photo and the sharp bend maybe the entrance to Beatty Road. I base that theory on the two features of the house which I mentioned above - side door with adjacent window and that odd, roofed bit between the two houses. Ypu can see in the previous photo that most houses on 'my' side of the road have these features.

However, much depends on what stood on the area which now forms the entrance to Knox Road in the 1930s. Were there any railings? If not my other theory is the first house on Haig Road at the junction with Millbank Road. There you have the same layout as in @lilbill15's photo but the sharp bend would then be the entrance to hag Road, not Beatty Road. The photographer would then be standing in the front garden at the bottom righthand corner of this next photo:

(Hoping for better luck uploading this time, fingers crossed)

Haig Road from Millbank Road. (3).png

However, the style of the house doesn't quite fit the photo.

Edited by Canny lass
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

I don't seem to be explaining this very well. let's have another bash at it. The houses in your photo (shown above) are on Beatty Road. The houses on the other side of the street are also on Beatty Road (that's 'your' house on the left):

Beatty Road, both sides. (2).png

If I go left to the last house on 'my' side of Beatty Road it's this one:

Not you CL -it's me. I'm obsessed with the odd numbers on the left where me mam's family lived, I never really think about the even numbers on the other side and they were a totally different style of house.

I can see the link between No 2 Beatty Road and the building in lillbill's photo but I can't match the other house in lillbill's photo to the house in the Millbank road Google image.  The houses in the Millbank Google image look exactly like the No 11 Beatty Road me granny lived in.

Also if it was the corner of Beatty Road & Millbank Road in lillbill's photo then lillbill's photo would have to have been taken from where Knox Road now is. Still :iiam:  to me:rofl:

Project1.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

Hi canny lass you are right & wrong let me try & explain as Millbank Rd ends Millbank place starts the first 6 houses are on the same street as Millbank Road even though it's actually millbank place hope I'm making sense 

1 minute ago, Tonyp said:

Hi canny lass you are right & wrong let me try & explain as Millbank Rd ends Millbank place starts the first 6 houses are on the same street as Millbank Road even though it's actually millbank place hope I'm making sense 

Thanks Tony! That's about as clear as mud to me but I'll take your word for it. My personal experience of Beatty Road is limited to playing in the garden of 35 Haig Road which had a gate through to the garden of the house opposite, on Beatty Road, and the family who lived there. Otherwise, I use Google - and it's not always the most reliable source.

2 hours ago, Jr6468 said:

Good morning everyone,  just a point to add to this topic. I concur with TonyP regarding Knox road. I lived in Beatty road since childhood until late teens and I remember well the farm there which I believe was owned by a chap called Briggs. Then for some reason perhaps a death, his farm closed. I remember going to look around all the tools etc when I was very young most likely everything was being sold off. After that happened all the site was cleared and as Tony mentioned the gentleman built Homes on there. It was named Knox road that much I can guarantee. Nice place. Regards. jr6468

Away from the subject, and a shot in the dark, but as you say you lived in Beatty Road since childhood - did your childhood include this event in 1953 or was your childhood later than that?

Coronation_1953_StreetParty.jpg

Coronation_1953_StreetParty with info.jpg

Hi everyone, again,the pictures taken if in 1953 are probably the party held for the coronation of the present queen. I was at that party although only 5years old at the time. My Dad and Mum lived in with the Ord family at 31 Beatty road in one room with myself and my sister who was only about two or three months old as we are five years apart in ages. I remember being told to take only a tea spoon to the party. It was a weird feeling as to young to grasp. We moved across street one or two years later as I had to sleep in a drawer so my sister had a cot. Community was really friendly those days. I imagine many of those parents are long gone sadly. Thanks for memories. Jim

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jr6468 said:

I imagine many of those parents are long gone sadly. Thanks for memories. Jim

Sorry Jim, I should have said it was the coronation street party. Granny Henderson must have wangled me and my brother Dennis to the party. Our family, mam, dad, Derek, Dennis & me, lived with with my granny, 11, Beatty Road, until we moved to Coquetdale Place in 1949.

The only adult I can name in the photo is the lady, with specs, standing behind me and she is Mrs Surtees and she lived in the even numbers opposite my granny's so it must have been No 10.  

• Like 1

Thanks Alan, amazing irony you living in same street for a short time. Having moved from there you may have come across Russell Perry who I had drinks with in Percy and Railway Tavern with Lol Napier. My last house in Beatty road was 17. I missed the trees they used to have at top end of street,it wasn't the same when they cut them down. Regards. Jim

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jr6468 said:

Thanks Alan, amazing irony you living in same street for a short time. Having moved from there you may have come across Russell Perry who I had drinks with in Percy and Railway Tavern with Lol Napier. My last house in Beatty road was 17. I missed the trees they used to have at top end of street,it wasn't the same when they cut them down. Regards. Jim

I do remember those lads as they also lived in Coquetale Place & the top half of Waverley Drive. They were a couple of years older than me but were in the same year as my eldest brother, Derek, at Barrington CP school.#There is a class photo of them in the Barrington CP album. This is a direct link to the 1958 class 6 photo :- 

• Like 1

Good morning Alan, thanks for the photograph. They hadn't changed much in later years. I haven't seen either of them for many a year. I always enjoy looking at the photos on the site, some bring back memories but others go to far back. I do know that life was extremely difficult for people in bedlington, especially the miners and their families. My grandfather walked from Lincoln to bedlington to find work in the mining industry before bringing his family to live there. I wonder how Tommy Cullen is doing, don't know how long he lasted in my old regiment after I left in 70, or even if he cam back to bedlington. Hopefully he is well though. Take care and keep safe as this virus hasn't gone away Alan 

• Like 2

Jr6468 Tommy Cullen was working as a store man at G T Culpitts the cake decoration factory in Ashington in the 80s but he left there & went south he had 2 sisters one married Eddie Mount the builder the younger one always drank in the Bedlington terrier 7 days a week I believe he was married & had a few kids

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now