DISAPPEARED! 25 Millbank Crescent.

:jump:haha @Tonyp, gotcha 😉 x No, see, my Dad Frank Hutton was born in the room behind the top left window of what is now 24 Millbank Crescent 14th November 1933; in 1974ish he was manager of the Jobcentre in Longridge House next to the Cooncil Orifices in Bedlington. He was always My Local Hero; he died 9th November 2017 :(. Since finding Bedlington.co.uk I’ve been looking into his life before I knew him and folks have been VERY kind and helpful especially @Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) and @Canny lass and I will be eternally grateful to this dynamic duo :wub: :D🌈xxx

On 29/06/2021 at 16:09, Canny lass said:

I don't know what happened there. I eddited my post and most of it disppeared when I posted!

My theory is that after the first two houses mentioned above, Millbank Crescent consisted of flats. There are 25 dwellings on the census but there are not 25 houses - as the chimney's and bay windows suggest.

Number 24 and 25 have been converted to one dwelling and if you count along to number 10 the same thing seems to have happened there with number 11. It seems that number 25 hasn't disappeared it's just beenj incorporated into number 24.

Morning @Canny lass x you’ve reassured me that I’m not just doing something badly; I’ve had several problems with the page freezing, drop down menus which won’t go away, thinking I’ve sent something and it’s just disappeared etc. Relieved to find it’s not just me. I’ve just got Google photos and I’m finding it takes over and creates collages and videos, which is initially 😮 lovely! On hindsight for the recipient there’s no explanation. So, DID find the clearing in the woods that matches the coordinates for Puce Bush Farm: a beautiful enclosure knee deep in wild flowers. A sunny day it was a sun trap, there’s a plank bench at the edge to sit and enjoy the spot. Rippling with bees, butterflies and small birds, an heavenly oasis. However, it was quickly obvious that any remains of the buildings will only be found in the winter months when the vegetation has died back. To be continued…….😁🌈x

• 2 weeks later...

07E69FDC-B487-43DE-B82C-737E266235B1.thumb.jpeg.eded92b84d8718b63896fe3fd4c4fd5f.jpeg:iiam: just found: Dad (Frank Hutton) or Don Hutton with unknown lady in the “garden “, must be 25 Millbank Crescent, hopefully my elders and betters might be able to identify the locale? Over to you Bedlington.co.uk witches and wizards 😁🌈x

On 02/07/2021 at 05:20, lilbill15 said:

Morning @Canny lass x you’ve reassured me that I’m not just doing something badly; I’ve had several problems with the page freezing, drop down menus which won’t go away, thinking I’ve sent something and it’s just disappeared etc. Relieved to find it’s not just me. I’ve just got Google photos and I’m finding it takes over and creates collages and videos, which is initially 😮 lovely! On hindsight for the recipient there’s no explanation. So, DID find the clearing in the woods that matches the coordinates for Puce Bush Farm: a beautiful enclosure knee deep in wild flowers. A sunny day it was a sun trap, there’s a plank bench at the edge to sit and enjoy the spot. Rippling with bees, butterflies and small birds, an heavenly oasis. However, it was quickly obvious that any remains of the buildings will only be found in the winter months when the vegetation has died back. To be continued…….😁🌈x

Photos and amateur video have been submitted 😁🌈x

2 minutes ago, lilbill15 said:

07E69FDC-B487-43DE-B82C-737E266235B1.thumb.jpeg.eded92b84d8718b63896fe3fd4c4fd5f.jpeg:iiam: just found: Dad (Frank Hutton) or Don Hutton with unknown lady in the “garden “, must be 25 Millbank Crescent, hopefully my elders and betters might be able to identify the locale? Over to you Bedlington.co.uk witches and wizards 😁🌈x

Could this be the highly esteemed Lily Clark(e)????🤔🌈x

14 hours ago, lilbill15 said:

must be 25 Millbank Crescent, hopefully my elders and betters might be able to identify the locale?

@lilbill15 I don't think this is the back garden of 25 Millbank Crescent (and it's certainly not the front). Opposite and parallel to the rear of Millbank Crescent was Whitsun Ave, a row of terraced houses of approximately the same length. (See Eggy's map, 9th post, page 1, above.  In your photo you can see a gable end and houses at right angles to each other neither of which is possible - if the 1924 map is correct even in 1933-34.

What I can say about that photo is that dad, or Don, was teething at the time (large teething ring pinned to his jersey). ☺️

2 hours ago, Canny lass said:

@lilbill15 I don't think this is the back garden of 25 Millbank Crescent (and it's certainly not the front). Opposite and parallel to the rear of Millbank Crescent was Whitsun Ave, a row of terraced houses of approximately the same length. (See Eggy's map, 9th post, page 1, above.  In your photo you can see a gable end and houses at right angles to each other neither of which is possible - if the 1924 map is correct even in 1933-34.

What I can say about that photo is that dad, or Don, was teething at the time (large teething ring pinned to his jersey). ☺️

I agree with Cl @lilbill15 - but I can't recognise the area the houses would be or can't remember seeing any old photos with that type of metal garden railings.  I think all the metal garden railings in Bedlington were removed in aid of WWII. I'll have a dig around the old photos on all the groups.🍀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

I agree with Cl @lilbill15 - but I can't recognise the area the houses would be or can't remember seeing any old photos with that type of metal garden railings.  I think all the metal garden railings in Bedlington were removed in aid of WWII. I'll have a dig around the old photos on all the groups.🍀

Thank you very much you Wizard of the Archives ❣️. Yet again @Canny lass ‘ hawk eyes spotted the teething ring! I’d missed that Dad was born 1933, Don 1939, both preceding the removal of most of the iron railings. The unknown lady might be a clue if anyone recognises her, maybe her home? That takes me back to Lily Clark, but CL has already determined she was probably from the pit rows; maybe a possibility. Maybe also a coincidence that the photo is of an end-house, same was 25 Millbank Crescent. Studying his little face I’m convinced he’s my Dad; we both have the red blotchy complexion. Attached photo of me at a similar age 😁🌈x

9F2A2F7A-1F8A-4006-AB0F-A7BA9432026C.jpeg

@lilbill15 had a look at the old photo of the Queens & Kings road area (from an Evan Martin book) as those house have the rendered outside walls with some rows of red brick at the bottom of the walls. The railings around the front gardens are the same as those in your photo.

2058076668_lillbillcomp.thumb.jpeg.70ce0daa243de933f30bb5ef8c4d8eb6.jpeg

However there is nowhere on that estate where there is a T-junction as you approach a row of houses that appear to be on a sharp curve = the angle of the gable ends of the two houses in view suggest they are on a sharp curve,

The same applies to the rendered houses on the Burnside estate = a very slight curve and all the gable ends, to the naked eye, look parallel.

The only other estate, that I know of, with rendered outside walls is Beatty & Haig Road but again there is no T-junction. There is a sharp curve at the top of the rows, across from Cornwall Crescent but I can't remember there ever being any houses on that curve with rendered wall. The angle of the gable ends on the flats that are on the curve now look exactly like those in your photo suggesting a very similar curve in the road in your photo. There is a T-junction between Beatty Road and Cornwall Crescent but there are no houses leading away from that junction.

lilbill2.jpg.a6fa0ce723f984f2beb619a18dd59d52.jpg

As I am an Oval/Bedlington Station lad, who visited me granny in Beatty Road, I have never really explored the Top End housing estates - Westlea - Meadowdale etc but I know some do have a few rendered houses but I can't think of any that match those in your photo.

Perhaps it isn't Bedlington - the young lady in the photo appears to be dressed in a 'Sunday Best' outfit so perhaps the family is visiting relatives.:iiam:

20 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

The railings around the front gardens are the same as those in your photo.

I don't see the similarity. Kings Road railings don't appear to have the looped top and the angled supports are at a different height. I don't think it's West Lea either.

On 11/07/2021 at 20:53, lilbill15 said:

Maybe also a coincidence that the photo is of an end-house,

@lilbill15What is it about the photo that makes you think it's an end house? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Canny lass said:

I don't see the similarity. Kings Road railings don't appear to have the looped top and the angled supports are at a different height. I don't think it's West Lea either.

@lilbill15What is it about the photo that makes you think it's an end house? 

I’m laughing at myself! You’ve made me look more carefully and I can see the fencing continues in the background, another duh 🙄 for me xx

1 hour ago, Canny lass said:

I know - I should have said 'similar'😎. Really I was just checking all the estates I knew where the houses had rendered walls and doing a comparison with @lilbill15's photo. 

I can't find a match in Bedlington👁️ - and Specsavers came to see me last week, no change in my vision after 3 years👍:whistle:

image.gif

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

I know - I should have said 'similar'😎. Really I was just checking all the estates I knew where the houses had rendered walls and doing a comparison with @lilbill15's photo. 

I can't find a match in Bedlington👁️ - and Specsavers came to see me last week, no change in my vision after 3 years👍:whistle:

image.gif

❤️🤣xxR 

Eggy, I don't think you are too far out when you mention Beatty- and Haig Road. I'm leaning more and more to that area but at the other end from Cornwall Crescent. I think the house to the left of the photo could be the first house on Beatty Road (marked blue) in which case the photo must have been taken somewhere at the end of what is now Knox Road. I don't know what was there in the 1930s. In the 50s it seems to have been empty space.

An alternative would be the first house on Haig Road (marked red)with the photo being taken from Millbank Road. 

I

Knox Road Beatty Road_LI.jpg

However, I'mleaning more toward the Beatty Road house because of some of the features seen on the photo. Firstly, there's that small, roofed part of the house(seen to the left of the blue mark) which can be seen on the front of quite a few houses on Beatty Road. Secondly, the front door is on the side of the house and there is a small window to its left. Both of these features can be seen in this next picture of the same house. The small window has been removed but it's easy to see where it's been:

1 Beatty Road.png

Does anybody know of other houses/housing estates with these features? I know that many houses in Haig Road have the main entrance on the side rather than facing the road, but I personally don't know of any others.

Oops! almost forgot the marked original:

Lilbills pic_LI.jpg

Edited by Canny lass

@Canny lass - as I remember it :-

Knox Road built in the 1980's - my cousin was married in 1983 and their first house was in Knox Road.

1938.thumb.jpg.7738a14fc640d69190af08bef9a6b46d.jpg

Millbank.thumb.jpg.4bda7aa8c46a4b404da7615b59b93602.jpg

Beatty Road houses - where we used to visit me granny and granda Henderson, No 11, in the 1950's  - were unusual.  The one garden faced the woods, no road outside the garden just the 'black path' that went from the top of Beatty Road all the way down to the Free Woods Bandstand area.  Both the Back & Front doors were on the same side and there was no garden, just a back yard with a grassed area between houses.

609109696_BeattyRoad.thumb.jpg.083ccd22f3503c8a4783d6626b5c7dec.jpg

I just can't see lilbill's photo being in the Beatty Road area - but I could be wrong.☺️

ps. because I think there is a sharp bend in lilbill's photo this is why it can't be Cornwell Crescent area in lilbll's photo :-

The flats that are now opposite Cornwall Crescent I think were built in the 1960's. My uncle Bob Henderson, married in 1955, lived in one of the flats before moving to Guidepost.

I'll keep scratching me head but don't think I will come up with a positive answer☹️

I don't know what Knox road has to do with millbank terrace tomorrow I will give you a list off names who lived in the 1960s who lived in millbank place the guy who built Knox road lived there more to follow millbank terrace long way from Knox road 

A friend of mine was Called Alan Knox he worked at dhs Bedlington went to grammar school he's sister was called Jacquline Knox also went to the grammar school there father built the houses that's why it was called Knox rd & he picked he's house definitely 1960s not 80s

• Like 1

Good morning everyone,  just a point to add to this topic. I concur with TonyP regarding Knox road. I lived in Beatty road since childhood until late teens and I remember well the farm there which I believe was owned by a chap called Briggs. Then for some reason perhaps a death, his farm closed. I remember going to look around all the tools etc when I was very young most likely everything was being sold off. After that happened all the site was cleared and as Tony mentioned the gentleman built Homes on there. It was named Knox road that much I can guarantee. Nice place. Regards. jr6468

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tonyp said:

I don't know what Knox road has to do with millbank terrace 

Neither do I. Eggy and I are discussing Millbank ROAD , onto which Knox Road opens. Sorry if I wasn't clear about this. The only purpose in mentioning Knox  Road was to identify the whereabouts of the houses i the photo. I think the photographer may have been standing in the area that is Knox Road today.standing 

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now