DISAPPEARED! 25 Millbank Crescent.

It’s gone! My Dad’s birthplace: there should be a blue plaque on the wall “Frank Hutton born here 14/11/1933” and “Don Hutton born here 1939”, but there’s no wall, no blue plaque, just a white door with 24 on it! Can anyone please explain this mystery, solve the problem? You’re all cleverer than me:- please advise.

• Sad 1

On 27/06/2021 at 19:06, lilbill15 said:

It’s gone! My Dad’s birthplace: there should be a blue plaque on the wall “Frank Hutton born here 14/11/1933” and “Don Hutton born here 1939”, but there’s no wall, no blue plaque, just a white door with 24 on it! Can anyone please explain this mystery, solve the problem? You’re all cleverer than me:- please advise.

@lilbill15 - I don't know who decides on the Blue Plaques for Bedlington. I thought it was English Heritage that made the decision but I have Googled the world and I can't find anything. I expected to find a list of names that a Blue Plaque had been raised and where the plaques were.

II have also searched for the name Frank Hutton but Google returns nothing that links to any info on the name. 

Can you remember what was inscribed on the plaque?

Is this where the plaque was  :-    

24 Millbank.png

• Haha 1

@Josimarsz@Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) Bless you! I’m sorry to have misled you and caused any unnecessary work :whistle: the blue plaque is wishful thinking on my part:- it’s the HOUSE which is missing! Millbank Crescent stops at a house with 24 on the door. My Dad regularly pointed to the left upstairs window of that house and it was listed on @Canny lass’s 1939 census as 25, and 7 occupants listed. :iiam:!! Where has it gone?? Time for more detective 🕵️♀️ work… but not tonight; I’ll sleep on it, goodnight all 😴 xx

@Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) Ignore this “Check out The Pantry” re the missing house. I’ll start by working back through previous census records and see when number 25 stopped appearing 🕵️♀️Xx

Shared via the # Google streetview    

Ignore this “Check out The Pantry” re the missing house. I’ll start by working back through previous census records and see when number 25 stopped appearing 🕵️♀️Xx

@lilbill15 I had another look at the 1939 register. This time I looked at the whole street and found that there is no number eleven. There doesn't appear to have ever been a number 11 as the schedule numbers are consecutive and none are missing. Number 25 hasn't disappeared. It's more likely that number 12 has become  number 11 and the higher numbers have been adjusted.

Millbank Crescent..jpg

Edited by Canny lass

On my previous post I was looking at the wrong Millbank - Google street view took me to Millbank Lane even though I had searched for Millbank Crescent. 

@Canny lass - on Google street view the number of house numbers for Millbank Crescent looks like 23:unsure:.

1898 Millbank Crescent didn't exist :-1898.thumb.jpg.7523683b342970784c3f4a0ff61518fb.jpg

1921 it exists :-

1921.jpg.f1301b352ecb31f4082fe2d41d58cca6.jpg

I checked what properties had been sold, or up for sale, on right_move, and the highest number they have is 21.

1152786625_MillbankCrescent.thumb.jpg.89e84ba8bf94f06d1f13853b1b932e5e.jpgThere is a number 3a on the right_move site so initially this street must have been upstairs & downstairs flats.

Unfortunately you can't make out the house numbers on Google street view😬

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

I think I have the answer to the disappearing 25. 

Looking at the 1939 register there is no number 11. I don't know why. Looking at the 1911 census, there are 25 dwellings on Millbank Crescent. The first of these (next to Millbank Terrace and working towards the station) has 8 rooms and is occupied by Mr. Garthwaite the headmaster at Bedlington's "Public Elementary School". The second dwelling has 6 rooms and is occupied by Mr Mayhew proprietor of a wholesale confectionary business. Today it looks like this:

are Looking at Google Earth there are not 25 houses. Looking at 1911, the dwellings go in pairs of 3 roomed and 4 roomed. These must always have been flats: 4 rooms downstairs, 3 rooms upstairs. The chimney pots seem to verify that as well. Today, we can clearly see two doors per bay window for most of these dwellings - one for upstairs, one for downstairs. Number 24 only has one door. The two flats have been made into (or returned to the original) one house.

Havlock House (2).png

I don't know what happened there. I eddited my post and most of it disppeared when I posted!

My theory is that after the first two houses mentioned above, Millbank Crescent consisted of flats. There are 25 dwellings on the census but there are not 25 houses - as the chimney's and bay windows suggest.

Number 24 and 25 have been converted to one dwelling and if you count along to number 10 the same thing seems to have happened there with number 11. It seems that number 25 hasn't disappeared it's just beenj incorporated into number 24.

Edited by Canny lass
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

@Canny lass - on Google street view the number of house numbers for Millbank Crescent looks like 23

At first sight I can agree with you, but if you look at how it was 1911 there are 25:

16 -24_LI.jpg

Look at the double lintel across the door and small window of nr. 25. That's been 2 doors - same as all the other double lintels. Nr 15 is for sale (green notice on pole) but the number isn't too clear on a zoomed pic. Here's a closer pic of nrs. 17, 18 and 19 so that you can recognise the doors.

17, 18, 19.png

Edited by Canny lass
  • Like 1

@Canny lass  @Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) at last! This thingy has been playing up and I’ve been trying to send you today’s pics- you two are really getting down to sorting out the puzzle between you. It’s like watching a tag team at work, you’re marvellous to behold 🤩! I’m attaching the same photos for Mr Edgar that I was unable to send to him earlier; apologies for the repetition @Canny lassx

@Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) @Canny lass  Eeek! Not the best app this streetview: I’ve attached a screenshot of Google streetview showing where the white door came from: had to literally totter down from Millbank Terrace, round the corner and along to the end of the Crescent to see how it looked when the app was recorded. @Josimarsz , who lives around the corner, believes the door is a very deep blue: it is obviously a replacement for the previous white door. Yes, I believe you’re right about the flats @Canny lass, makes absolute sense. I remember Dad recounting a rare night of bombing back 39-45 (likely first half) with Nanna running up the front stairs through the house and out down the back stairs, then turning around and up the back through and down the front stairs again in her panic 😱! So I thought seven in that house sounded cramped?- seven in an upstairs flat sounds absolutely sardine-like 😳xxx

This thingy is definitely on the blink today, I tried to send this reply over an hour ago and it just wouldn’t happen; trying again now….  xx

2EAE12D0-BE83-4223-A160-8B050B9C3C6A.png

3DD1FADD-5E44-48A4-8399-62588122AD2B.png

1 hour ago, Canny lass said:

Now I'm lost! Are there two nr 24 Millbank Crescent - one with a white door, as mentioned in your first post, and this one with a black door? 

Unfortunately @Canny lass - Google street view for Millbank Crescent is not up to date - still 2009. From the current image @lilbill15 has taken, black door, looks like all the windows and doors have been replaced since the Google car last drove past:).

I agree with you, and as I said in my previous post, No 3a still exists, as does quite a few upstairs and downstairs flats.

I think I am done with this one - now looking forward to Sweden winning tohight and then England v Sweden next Saturday:thumbsup: 

24.jpeg

• Like 1

@Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) @Canny lass ,yes, thank you sir, that’s where the confusion has been increased. It’s useful to know the date of the street view images in order keep abreast of changes. The door looks a very dark blue from the pavement, my photos were hasty as I didn’t want to get caught photographing a stranger’s facade :blush:. I’ve had a very long and busy day, spent the morning in Choppington Community Wood investigating Puce Bush Farm...... My bath is ready, dinner prepared for after and Netflix menu waiting. Enjoy the football folks, good luck to your respective teams xx

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lilbill15 said:

@Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) @Canny lass ,yes, thank you sir, that’s where the confusion has been increased. It’s useful to know the date of the street view images in order keep abreast of changes.

That explains it! I was starting to think I might be going senile. Google maps and Google Earth use the same pics for the area, from March 2009. I usually concentrate on the more permanent features - lintels, chimneys, brickwork. They don't tend to change as often.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canny lass said:

@lilbill15 Just to round this off could you explain to me where "The Pantry" fits into this? Does it have some connection to nr. 25?

CL - It's the current owners of the shop, a delicatessen shop,  on St Cuthberts Terrace.

The aerial shot is by Nathan Miller, 2017 so it probably had a different owner then.

Pantry.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)
  • Thanks 2

Oh, sorry @Canny lass, not laughing at you, but that I knew the previous shop name could cause MORE confusion than the colour-changing door already has! Blessim, @Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)has saved my having to explain x. He’s like a ferret up a drainpipe when information is needed. I’ve got about 20 pics re: Puce Bush but I’m too tired this evening, again, to edit. I’m in the garden, slumped and about to retire indoors and slump on the couch, probably to sleep soon. DID get to Puce Bush location…. to be continued…

:whistle: xxx

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now