Old local maps

Halloo! @Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)and @Canny lass !! I’ve discovered a) how to access the old maps and b)National Archives and c) Archaeological surveys! Baby steps, just toddling but moving forward at last. Clueless about where to start with photographic archives (?Alan Eggy??any clues?) Don’t know yet what a URL is or what those other boxes are, but 🎼give me a little time to work it out 🎶xx

12 hours ago, lilbill15 said:

Halloo! @Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)and @Canny lass !! I’ve discovered a) how to access the old maps and b)National Archives and c) Archaeological surveys! Baby steps, just toddling but moving forward at last. Clueless about where to start with photographic archives (?Alan Eggy??any clues?) Don’t know yet what a URL is or what those other boxes are, but 🎼give me a little time to work it out 🎶xx

I use my keyboard - 'Print Scrn' key to take a copy of whatever online image I am looking at.

Then I use the 'Paste' option to add the Print Scrn image to whatever photo/paint etc. package I have available on either of my PCs.

My preferred choice is my very old (and no longer supported) Microsoft Digital Image Pro 10 (MDIP10) and that's where I do my 'clarting & clagging' of text and shapes etc. onto a blank file. Unfortunately  MDIP10 does not work on Windows 7, 8 or 10 and I run it on an old PC that still has Windows Vista as an Operating System😁. Even if you had a Windows Vista system you wouldn't be able to get the MDIP10 software to install😞. Fortunately I can still access this group, and the Facebook groups, via my old PC but if that bites the bullet, before me, then I'm snookered.

On my 2018 purchased PC running Windows 10 I often use the Print Scrn key take a snapshot of whatever full screen I am viewing and I paste that screen image into 'Paint 3D' that is a free Microsoft package that was already on the PC when I bought it. The only feature I use within Paint 3D is the 'Crop' option to remove all the unwanted info around the image I am after. I have never clarted with Paint 3D - at the moment I have no need.

At the start of 2020, hoping my life expectancy is longer than MDIP10😷, I trialled the Adobe 'photoshop' product. It has very similar options to MDIP10 but you can't purchase the product, just lease it, and it has ( if I remember correctly) about 8 packages that all have unique 'clarting & clagging' menu driven options. I was paying £20 a month for just two of the packages and I did clart with it a lot but after a couple of months I decided it wasn't for me. If I wanted to have all the features I have access to now I would have to be renting all the photoshop packages at approx £100 a month. That might be Ok for the commercial world but not for a home clarter & clagger like me.

What I also have on my Windows 10 PC is  GIMP = GNU Image Manipulation Program -   GIMP is a cross-platform image editor available for GNU/Linux, OS X, Windows and more operating systems. It is free software....................

I have played with GIMP but there is an awful lot of new techniques to learn, and even with a 19" PC screen I have to strain to read the options available. So at the moment I am sticking with MDIP10:punk::whistle::icecream::thumbsup:

• Like 2

And thank you very much @Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)Xx I’ll have to read this a couple more times before I start to understand it!! I’ll also take up @Canny lass‘s suggestion that I get to the library and see what I can do there. I’ve just been mucking about with this iPad and (I think) I’ve enlarged a section of an old map indicating Puce Bush Farm and saved it in the Apple book app?? You’ll find out if/when I manage to post it to you 🤞🏻👩🏼‍💻🙇🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️(not a patch on your moving emojis!) I’m a very untechnical (not a real word according to this iPad!) sort of person but I’ll work with it slowly and take frequent breaks so I don’t make it feel like hard work. Best regards dear Sir, watch this space 😁🌈x

• Like 1

On 19/06/2021 at 12:54, Canny lass said:

Then it should give you something to do while in isolation and perhaps give even more knowledge about your home-town.

If the time seems to be dragging on your own you can always look up one of the older quizes to help pass the time.

Do take care, Do follow the recommendations and don't forget to wash your hands before and after handling the neighbours hedge-tr!immer. Hope the time flies by without incident.

😂 @Canny lass, I gave the bliddy contraption back without using it- I value my appendages 😁🌈 xx

It makes for very long reading when the whole post is quoted. Is it still ok to just highlight the relevant extract of text and use the 'quote' button that appears with the highlighting. I don't know why I'm asking this. Of course you can do that. I just did it two minutes ago! Too much celebrating this week: England, Sweden football and yesterday the biggest holiday of the year in Scandinavia - Midsommer (nothing to do with murders, mystery and intrigue) more to do with the summer solstice, vodka, pickled herring and new potatoes (in that order). Food for kings - I am told!

• Like 1

It's about the only item I'm overjoyed about as well, Vic. I always see to it that I have some sort of cheese and ham quiche for lunch the day before - guarantees left overs that 'must be eaten before it goes to waste'. The dessert's not bad either - Vodka, strawberries and whipped cream.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

It makes for very long reading when the whole post is quoted. Is it still ok to just highlight the relevant extract of text and use the 'quote' button that appears with the highlighting. I don't know why I'm asking this. Of course you can do that. I just did it two minutes ago! Too much celebrating this week: England, Sweden football and yesterday the biggest holiday of the year in Scandinavia - Midsommer (nothing to do with murders, mystery and intrigue) more to do with the summer solstice, vodka, pickled herring and new potatoes (in that order). Food for kings - I am told!

Hmm @Canny lass, I’m struggling to respond without “quote “, but that’s likely my unfamiliarity and inexperience. Plodding along here 😁xx

2 hours ago, lilbill15 said:

I’m struggling to respond without “quote “,

Have you tried marking (selecting) the relevant bit of text you want to respond to? When you do that a new 'button' appears which says "Quote selection". If you choose that you only get the selected text. Mind you, I don't always think it's necessary to quote anything. If your post is responding directly to the last post then a quote is hardly needed. It's just like having a conversation with someone. 

Edited by Canny lass
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lilbill15 said:

@Canny lass have I got the wrong celebration and/or country:- crayfish? Yum xx

Right country, wrong month. Crayfish premier, 5pm, first Wednesday in August. Partying usually starts any day that week when you don't have to go to work next day. Menu: Vodka, crayfish boiled with loads of dill, cheese pie (must be Swedish cheese), beer, bread, butter - in that order. It's a very messy affair and bibs and silly hats are obligatory.

I think I found a suitable photo:

Kräftskiva, fest.jpg

Edited by Canny lass
  • Like 1

Nah! “Everything”  includes TV cookery/lifestyle/documentaries etc and anything about anyone/anywhere, Saw a couple of poncy chefs enjoying meals in Scandinavia, I love to learn about people/culture/lifestyle/history/tradition as nauseam; hungry mind. Looks like a grand lifestyle in Sweden, respect your/their? Jante Law , I’m getting old and am frequently irritated by the younger English peeps with their over-exaggerated sense of entitlement and self-esteem. I recognise the problem is essentially my change in perception but I still get irritated, wishing to find a quiet place somewhere. Enough, I love hearing from you but mustn’t intrude on your quality family time, long overdue. Kindest regards, R🌈x

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now