Happy Birthday Foxy!

21 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Happy Birthday John. Have a really good day. I'm sure your missus will be spoiling you enormously. Where are you hiding yourself these days?

Thank you CL, yes the missus certainly did spoil me yesterday, I was allowed to cook her dinner whilst she watched the football on the telly. I was also spoiled be the  daughter earlier in the day,.... she had me laying flagstones in her back garden. Pleased it's only once a year!!😄  Thanks to all for the Birthday wishes.👍 

• Haha 2

@John Fox (foxy) Never mind that one day of the year - celebrate the other 364 (365 on leap year) days and rest on that one day.

If Sweden can make CL + OH  ecstatic (Sweden 1 Slovakia 0 last Friday) then surely England will win tonight - whilst we are washing up :whistle:

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

If Sweden can make CL + OH  ecstatic (Sweden 1 Slovakia 0 last Friday) then surely England will win tonight - whilst we are washing up

Any outburst of ecstasy thet may have been experienced on Friday didn't last long. It was cut off in it's prime by the untimely demise of the government at 10 am on Monday morning. Just what we needed in the midst of a pandemic that's causing havoc. Will try cracking open another bottle of 'celebratory' wine this evening and hope for the best.

• Confused 1

On 22/06/2021 at 19:27, lilbill15 said:

Cor! I see- 8 parties?

At least 4 too many! There's more pact-making than politics going on here. Biggest problem is the undemocratic way in which SD party (far right and with a similar ideology to Britain's Ukip) is being treated. While I personally do not support their views i accept that they are now the democratically chosen, third largest party in the country and as such have a right to be included in decisions affecting the country. However, Labour and Centre refuse point blank and openly to work with or include them. Much of the problem now is that Lööf (Centre) has seen fit to support their vote of no confidence in the present government. The prime minister has now two choices. By Monday he must decide if he will resign and leave it up to the speaker to negotiate with all these parties with the aim of getting together a workable government. It took 4 months last time to get a majority out of all these small parties! Or he can call another election - just one year before it's due anyway. What a waste of time, money and effort when we are in the middle of our third wave of Covid. Their time could be better spent doing other things. I think the timing for raising this vote of no confidence in the present government was appalling. Rant over!!

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Canny lass said:

At least 4 too many! There's more pact-making than politics going on here. Biggest problem is the undemocratic way in which SD party (far right and with a similar ideology to Britain's Ukip) is being treated. While I personally do not support their views i accept that they are now the democratically chosen, third largest party in the country and as such have a right to be included in decisions affecting the country. However, Labour and Centre refuse point blank and openly to work with or include them. Much of the problem now is that Lööf (Centre) has seen fit to support their vote of no confidence in the present government. The prime minister has now two choices. By Monday he must decide if he will resign and leave it up to the speaker to negotiate with all these parties with the aim of getting together a workable government. It took 4 months last time to get a majority out of all these small parties! Or he can call another election - just one year before it's due anyway. What a waste of time, money and effort when we are in the middle of our third wave of Covid. Their time could be better spent doing other things. I think the timing for raising this vote of no confidence in the present government was appalling. Rant over!!

@Canny lass Bliddy politicians! They ruin politics. Impression of SD according to some TV documentaries here is closer to UK National Front:- anti immigration/racist. I’m not offering any opinion, just trying to learn/understand. What’s happening with the rent policy- is capitalist gain usurping social/moral philosophy? It’s difficult to see the truth from a distance, I’d appreciate your insight, but also appreciate if you want to say “mind your own business “. I just wonder a lot 😁🌈xxx

On 24/06/2021 at 21:51, lilbill15 said:

Bliddy politicians! They ruin politics. Impression of SD according to some TV documentaries here is closer to UK National Front:- anti immigration/racist. I’m not offering any opinion, just trying to learn/understand. What’s happening with the rent policy- is capitalist gain usurping social/moral philosophy?

@lilbill15I meant to reply to this earlier but football and Midsommar got in the way. If you'd asked me 10-15 years ago if SD was akin to the UK National Front I'd most certainly have answered YES. SD has its roots in white nationalism and fascism but the last decade or so has seen quite dramatic reforms in their politics. Their present leader has done a lot to get rid of the 'hard-liners' . How much this has to do with reform and how much it has to do with their getting the party a bad name is hard to say. However, I'm pleased to say, that today there are no SD politicians going around weilding iron bars and attacking non-whites outside night clubs in the capital and today the SD party openly and officially rejects both fascism and nazism. SD is, however extremely nationalistic in its approach to immigration - something we are seeing in many other European countries' as well.

Because of the many changes for the better, I'd now liken SD more to Ukip. As I said, I don't like their ideology, but I do respect that they - possibly through the changes they've made within the party - are now the democratically elected third largest party in this country and as such - if democracy was working - should be included. They are instead totally frozen out by the so-called 'democratic' parties. This, and the fact that we have so many small parties, makes it difficult for any party to build a majority government without the aid of pacts being made (and broken - cause of the present crisis) both to the right, left and across the board.

Hope that gives you some clarity in the situation. Sorry you've had to wait.

• Thanks 1

:rolleyes: thank you very much @Canny lass , please don’t apologise for having a life outside Bedcouk! I’m delighted to have found that, after many, many years at the coal face the biggest privilege of being retired is the luxury of time, to please myself and in no longer having to organise, prioritise and meet deadlines. I’m happy to ask a question and equally happy to wait for an answer; luckily, so far, nothing is urgent or essential. I live my life mainly according to the weather and available daylight. I haven’t worn a watch in years and my wall calendar in the kitchen displays the picture I currently like the most and not whatever month it might be. That calendar is probably 2018, but not sure. 
Thank you very much for clarifying the party politics of your country: beyond “wondering 💭” I really like to understand things outside of my experience. I’m not political at all but suspect that mostly the wrong people get themselves into politics and government in order to pursue their own ambitions but, of course, not all; there are always exceptions. I’ll keep an eye out for further developments in your government, keeping my fingers crossed that it goes smoothly and positively but, because human nature is involved, I suspect more turbulence ahead. I’m pleased you’ve still got your crayfish ahead of you again this year and will conduct my own small celebration in my garden when the time comes - Summer’s end? Regards Roseanne xx :fish:

6 hours ago, lilbill15 said:

I’ll keep an eye out for further developments in your government, keeping my fingers crossed that it goes smoothly and positively

Big day tomorrow! The PM must reveal to the nation what his decision is: Will he resign or will he call for an extra election? We'll know tomorrow.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lilbill15 said:

@Canny lass hoping whatever the outcome it’s in your favour

Neither of the available options was what I'd want but now the PM has spoken to the nation. He chose to ask the speaker to relieve him of office. We now have an interim government - the same government with essentially the same powers - to fill the gap while the speaker has talks with all parties to try to form a government. He has four attempts to try to get parties to work together in a government before he must call an extra election. It took 4 months the last time!

Sorry to be bombarding your birthday greetings  with this Foxy. I'll stop now and wallow in a deep depression over the state of the nation. I'm sure the BBC will be keeping everybody in England informed. Over and out.

Edited by Canny lass
  • Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now