West Lea Cemetery.

Can you confirm, once they've completed this work will the piles of soil and torn up hedgerow be removed from the much used entrance point where they've piled it?

I was wondering if this was the latest attempt to deter people from entering, in particular dog walkers, the majority of whom are totally responsible and clean up after their dogs. But as a many residents agree, this is a point where lots of people enter this large graveyard after walking along the black path from the south west of the town. I understand that there were a few reports of lamping in the beginning of 2020 (before they blocked it up with metal fencing which was subsequently pulled down by residents wishing to enter) but no reports at all in the previous few years before this, which was said to be the reason why they were trying to block the rear entrances. I find it a bit astonishing that given the level of use of entry here, the overall size of the cemetary, and the fact that it's 2021 and this is, as I see it, Bedlington's only urban woodland, that NCC have been attempting to block access there. 

• 5 weeks later...

The cemetary is a great place to go either by yourself or with your dog to chill out for boosting mental health or with kids to teach them a thing or two. I can't be the only one who remembers being taken by Meadowdale Middle School on science/history and art field trips here. There is so much to see and learn, mostly in the old section, but the wildlife there is astonishing. Over the past few years I've seen a kestrel, a barn owl, foxes, tree creepers, woodpeckers, sparrowhawks, a weird possibly crossbreed white rabbit population (???), bullfinches, long tailed tits and much more. The trees and wildflowers are also amazing, not to mention the art of the grave engravings and some of the incredible stories and histories of the families laid to rest there.  

I'd hate to think that NCC is trying to make it into an empty no-go zone and I still can't understand what possible reason there is for wanting the rear of the new cemetary blocked off when it's such a sizeable area. I'd encourage everyone in Bedlington to take a walk around the place and just enjoy it, responsibly, of course. 

• Like 3

@Malcolm Robinson. LIKE +++! I was up there just before 7 this morning, soo peaceful and good for the soul. I visited Marsh Heslop’s grave while I was there, just to say hello, you’re missed Bonny lass and read the very moving messages left at her grave by her nearest and dearest. I confess I shed a few tears: this world has lost the little rainbow 🌈 which was Marsha. Adding to your list of the living residents of WestLea cemetery, not seen but heard in the evenings tawny owls, visible if you stand still long enough wrens and you’ll hear the little twittering flurries of goldfinches as they bustle about in the hedges. Our place in this life is put firmly into perspective by a visit to the resting places of our dead and, you’re absolutely right Malcolm, the young’ us should be guided to recognise that our own short span of time on Earth should be valued, used well and is ultimately brief in comparison to the bigger picture. The message being ‘don’t waste a single day and stop racing around making lots of noise, because  you’re a long time dead . Spend your time wisely“ The Mexicans and the Japanese set aside special times to respect and revere their dead forbears: please Bedlington Council don’t put up a blockade to spiritually healthy meandering through this beautiful space! (However I do recognise that the a******s on dirt bikes do cause a lot of disruption and irritation- instead of closing access maybe just make it only accessible on foot? Regards RoseanneRainbow 😁🌈xxR 

• Like 3

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now