Essential culinary information x

Don’t make the same mistake as I have this evening. When constructing your ham and crisp butty do not use pickled onion crisps. The pickled onion flavour overpowers the ham (Glentons ), and even Max has turned his nose up. Cheese and onion is the perfect match, followed by ready salted.

However @Malcolm Robinson, come the Revolution, the sandwiches will, of course, be egg and tomato, dedicated to offending no one but the staunchest vegetarian. If they were good enough for every school trip I ever enjoyed then they’ll be adequate to feed the Bedlington Popular Front x

2 hours ago, lilbill15 said:

come the Revolution, the sandwiches will, of course, be egg and tomato, dedicated to offending no one but the staunchest vegetarian.

That brings back memories! My mother used to mash the egg and tomato together and call it "mock crab". It did look a bit like crab but the taste was pure egg and tomato!

@lilbill15 - the only crisps I eat are plain Kettle crisps 🙂 - sometimes I go wild and have 'ridge cut' plain kettle crisps.

And it's been like that since my mam would by the plain crisps, with the blue salt bag in, from Ernie Gurney who was out selling his wares in his butchers van in the early 1950's and called at our house = 5 Coquetdale Place.  

Can't stand the other flavours like roast chicken - vinegar - cheese and onion etc. etc so the spicy flavours, that burn my pallet, are out of the question😊 

You mentioned Ernie Gurnie in a previous comment. The only shop I can remember him from was Front Street East, just past the Gardners Arms :-

Front Street  East c1950s Gardners Arms.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canny lass said:

That brings back memories! My mother used to mash the egg and tomato together and call it "mock crab". It did look a bit like crab but the taste was pure egg and tomato!

Yum 😋 x we used to call them “seaside sandwiches “ because that was the only time we got them! Memories of Embleton, Bamburgh and Warkworth beaches xx NB I do remember my mother’s “mock fish “, which was grated potatoes mixed with egg and fried (rosti style). MUST have a go at that soon, I had forgotten all about mock fish! Past.. I’ve just been tipped off about “Cloud eggs “, how did I live so long without this delicacy?? x

2 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

@lilbill15 - the only crisps I eat are plain Kettle crisps 🙂 - sometimes I go wild and have 'ridge cut' plain kettle crisps.

And it's been like that since my mam would by the plain crisps, with the blue salt bag in, from Ernie Gurney who was out selling his wares in his butchers van in the early 1950's and called at our house = 5 Coquetdale Place.  

Can't stand the other flavours like roast chicken - vinegar - cheese and onion etc. etc so the spicy flavours, that burn my pallet, are out of the question😊 

You mentioned Ernie Gurnie in a previous comment. The only shop I can remember him from was Front Street East, just past the Gardners Arms :-

Front Street  East c1950s Gardners Arms.jpg

Yup, that’s the one; is it the vet surgery now? Ernie was the epitome of the non-PC. “fat butcher “, a walking advert for his wares. Blue and white stripes, or is that another figment of my delirious memory? Remember when the blue salt bags in the crisps were in a twist before the sealed envelopes were invented? x

13 hours ago, lilbill15 said:

Yup, that’s the one; is it the vet surgery now?

Then & Now (Google Street View 2016)- the vet surgery where Beadle's shop and The Gardners Arms used to be.

Gardeners Arms Then & Now 2016.jpg

And my memory says Ernie wore a blue & white apron when he did his door to door sales.

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)
  • Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now