Wansbeck community

“Blyth/Ashington “ is just not good enough. Bedlington is a town with history, spirit and a world-renowned Terrier. Ask yourselves about those FIRST iron railway tracks, forged in Bedlington;  Bobby Charlton, John Trewick (and Allen Edgar) went to Bedlington  Grammar School, Durham had it’s Miners Gala, and Northumberland… the Bedlington  Picnic!! NOT for teddy bears but for Terriers! Blyth- famous for…anything apart from “Spartans”? (where are they now?); “Ashington?? Pitman painters? where are they…..?” PLEASE do not lump Bedlington in with this bunch of has-beens, they may have leisure centres and swimming pools but Bedlington has a Community Centre in it’s bosom, and another one at the Bedlington Transport Hub (Station)😉x Bedlington must NOT be devoured by it’s brash Johnny-come-lately upstart neighbours! I suggest SOUTHEAST NORTHUMBERLAND- ensuring  equality, maintaining dignity and confirming our historic status.

AND Bedlington had the BIGGEST PIT HEAP IN THE COUNTRY!! back in the day:- take a walk up to the top today in Gallagher Park and look at the view of the North Sea, turn around and enjoy Cheviot and Simonside. Can Ashington or Blyth provide anything remotely close ?

1 minute ago, Malcolm Robinson said:

Like your thinking Lilbill15.......😀

Hey Malcolm, you man the barricades, I’ll make the sandwiches. I’m not a fan of the Berwick lady but she’s on the same track: instead of contemplating our neighbours’ navels let’s identify our place within the national picture 🤗x

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Malcolm Robinson said:

Like your thinking Lilbill15.......😀

Bedlington is a town in Northumberland, England, with a population of 18,470 measured at the 2011 Census. Bedlington is an ancient market town, with a rich history of industry and innovative residents.Wikipedia.  Lest we forget x

3 hours ago, Malcolm Robinson said:

A few years ago I put a historical time line together for Bedlington not sure where it went..........ANDY?  

Malcolm - historical Time Line of Bedlington now under the 'Info' menu :-  

Project1.png

21 hours ago, Andy Millne said:

The visualisation of the timeline is broken following a recent upgrade but the data is still there. I'll try and get the animation working again.

@Malcolm Robinson - whilst Andy is working on that there is a timeline that @johndawsonjune1955 posted in2013 :-

1 hour ago, Malcolm Robinson said:

We have a lot there Eggy and given the amount of times I'm told recently Bedlington isn't as well known as one of our neighbours I think we should be using this to promote the place!  

In fact i think we should do something really outstanding with it!  

Haha! I LOVE the way politician’s use the word “we should do” something when they are really hoping someone else will do the donkey work! x

21 minutes ago, lilbill15 said:

Haha! I LOVE the way politician’s use the word “we should do” something when they are really hoping someone else will do the donkey work! x

In all fairness, I have to say that Malcolm seems to have a pretty good track record when it comes to doing the donkey work and getting things done.

Lilbill15, you can call me anything you want just don't call me late for a dinner! 😂 

I did a lot of the research already and then John helped and Andy made it into something publishable.....

Im just sick of being told Britishvolt have to be described as being at Blyth because everyone knows where Blyth is and they dont know where Bedlington is!   

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Malcolm Robinson said:

Im just sick of being told Britishvolt have to be described as being at Blyth because everyone knows where Blyth is and they dont know where Bedlington is!   

When the plant gets a mention on the TV news I keep shouting Cambois😱

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Malcolm Robinson said:

Lilbill15, you can call me anything you want just don't call me late for a dinner! 😂 

I did a lot of the research already and then John helped and Andy made it into something publishable.....

I’ll second your comment on getting to dinner on time @Malcolm Robinsonx by the bye I’m sure I’m not the only person to notice the large sign at the Horton junction beyond the Ha’penny woods saying “Welcome to Blyth”? Is Bedlington at risk of being swallowed? Maybe another reason to resist capitulating to the “Ashington/Blyth constituency “ suggested? x

4 hours ago, lilbill15 said:

I’ll second your comment on getting to dinner on time @Malcolm Robinsonx by the bye I’m sure I’m not the only person to notice the large sign at the Horton junction beyond the Ha’penny woods saying “Welcome to Blyth”? Is Bedlington at risk of being swallowed? Maybe another reason to resist capitulating to the “Ashington/Blyth constituency “ suggested? x

Ive long ago argued the case for imposing passport controls on the Stakeford, Plessey and River Blyth Bridges!  

AKA..................Passport to Pimlico......

51p1v+3bYkL._AC_SY445_.jpg

• Haha 2

However, passports may become irrelevant if we are engulfed or subsumed into Blyth, the boundaries keep creeping closer. I know it’s just inevitable progress, as Sleekburn became Bedlington Station; looking at the old towns and villages which are now integral parts of cities throughout the country; inevitable. Too many people on this planet for the likes of me 😟, best regards Rx

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now