Doctors yard, Top End

9 hours ago, lilbill15 said:

Sorry, sir, my battery expired before I got to the inevitable question- Josephine has asked me to ask the Bedlingtonians about the house between Grenfells last offices emporium at Bedlington front street West and what was a bicycle shop now yet another hairdresser. Before I asked this question I intended to take a photo, but haven’t had the chance just yet. I’m putting my faith in your hawk-like acuity that you’ll know exactly what/where I’m referring to. Failing that I’ll go tappylappy and get a photo. Josephine thinks it’s old, wants to know more xx

13 hours ago, lilbill15 said:

Sorry, sir, my battery expired before I got to the inevitable question- Josephine has asked me to ask the Bedlingtonians about the house between Grenfells last offices emporium at Bedlington front street West and what was a bicycle shop now yet another hairdresser. Before I asked this question I intended to take a photo, but haven’t had the chance just yet. I’m putting my faith in your 

Yup, that’s the one, @Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)absolutely bang on the nail, as usual x. 

1 hour ago, lilbill15 said:

hope that someone may know something about the history of this house? Pure curiosity- it looks like it’s been there a long time?

@lilbill15I believe that it's all that remains of Doctor's Yard, the part that fronted the main street. I think that even Grenfell's formed part of the yard at one time. When I was a nipper the school nurse, Nurse Dunbar, lived in it or possibly the one next door (Grenfell's seems to have become much bigger over the years). Next door but one was the Coroner's Office. It seems that all things of a 'medical' nature may have been situated there.

1860 OS 25 -1 Ed 1 Bedlington.jpg

This map is from 1860 but the yard appears even in the 1840s. It's the house exactly opposite the old police station, I beleieve.

Edited by Canny lass

1 hour ago, Canny lass said:

@lilbill15I believe that it's all that remains of Doctor's Yard, the part that fronted the main street. I think that even Grenfell's formed part of the yard at one time. When I was a nipper the school nurse, Nurse Dunbar, lived in it or possibly the one next door (Grenfell's seems to have become much bigger over the years). Next door but one was the Coroner's Office. It seems that all things of a 'medical' nature may have been situated there.

1860 OS 25 -1 Ed 1 Bedlington.jpg

This map is from 1860 but the yard appears even in the 1840s. It's the house exactly opposite the old police station, I beleieve.

@Canny lass, many thanks x: interesting that the police/coroner/doctor and nurse all sited together-one fell swoop. P.S. an afterthought- so ironically has become an undertaker! All of life and death?! X

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now