The Big Battery Factory

1 hour ago, Symptoms said:

I started this as a new topic as I couldn't find a previous post about it (I did do a 'rough and dirty' search).

@Symptoms - Malcolm started the previous post under the topic 'Freeport' in Talk of the Town section :- 

I see in the article you linked to they say the gigplant is at Blyth - Cambois doesn't get a mention🙂

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Symptoms said:

More Boris Johnson party distraction news today ... but good news nevertheless!  Confirmation of some Government money for the project.

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/britishvolt-atf-apc-investment/

And what was even better @Symptoms as far as I am aware a first for both the BBC national and local news presenters on tonight's programes mentioned Cambois and both pronounced it correctly = silent 'B':thumbsup:

More news in The Guardian newspaper this morning.  Britishvolt and Glencore to build a factory capable of recycling lithium-ion batteries;  it'll be built on the bank of the Thames.  They reckon the Blyth scrap will be sent by ship down there.  Just imagine staiths on the Blyth, rail trucks full of lithium being tipped into ships, which puff down the North Sea to London ... remind you of anything?  Yes, I know it won't be same!

Anyway, for those interested in The Guardian article: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/feb/03/britishvolt-and-glencore-to-build-plant-capable-of-recycling-lithium-ion-batteries 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Symptoms said:

I wrote above: "Just imagine staiths on the Blyth, rail trucks full of lithium being tipped into ships, which puff down the North Sea to London ... remind you of anything?  Yes, I know it won't be same!"

For our younger viewers this is what it looked like:

Blyth Staithes1.jpg

Blyth Staithes2.jpg

Never mind rail trucks full of lithium I wouldn't fancy walking on whats left of them:closed:

North Blyth Staithes.jpg

Railway tracks.jpg

Staithes.jpg

On 28/01/2022 at 21:18, Symptoms said:

More news in The Engineer today about a Britishvolt and Lotus venture,  read it here:

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/lotus-and-britishvolt-plan-new-battery-technology/

It's spreading! Volvo cars and Polestar together with Northvolt (Sweden's equivalent to Britishvolt) are about to establish a battery plant just outside of Gothenburg. It's planned to open 2025 but the research and development side of it is all set to start up this year. 3 000 new jobs and a production capacity that should satisfy the needs of half a million electric cars each year. How handy to have a lithium-ion battery disposal unit just a short trip across the North Sea.

On 06/02/2022 at 12:37, Canny lass said:

It's spreading! Volvo cars and Polestar together with Northvolt (Sweden's equivalent to Britishvolt) are about to establish a battery plant just outside of Gothenburg. It's planned to open 2025 but the research and development side of it is all set to start up this year. 3 000 new jobs and a production capacity that should satisfy the needs of half a million electric cars each year. How handy to have a lithium-ion battery disposal unit just a short trip across the North Sea.

Surely Sweden will have more space to store and dispose the Uks lithium😇 And in the winter, when Sweden has less daylight hours than GB, the red glow will help the Swedes see to get around😁 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

Surely Sweden will have more space to store and dispose the Uks lithium😇 And in the winter, when Sweden has less daylight hours than GB, the red glow will help the Swedes see to get around😁 

No, no, no, no, no, we can't have that! We already have the Northern lights and they are green. Any red glow from lithium batteries woud just cause a red/green mess. Although, on the other hand, it would match the present political situation.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

The plans, released on Friday, have already hit a bottle-neck! The military have opposed the wind farm off the coast that would be needed to supply the enormous amounts of green energy required to run the plant and Nordvolt are now wondering if it's possible to recruit the necessary competence to run it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Pity they weren't able (or willing) to use the existing railhead to load trains to cart the spoil away and bring materials in.  Could have spared the locals from all that disruption (and fumes) from the fleet of belching lorries.  Or even tipped the stuff into ships!

Future 'clean' technology plant built on diesel ... not a good look!

Edited by Symptoms

4 hours ago, Symptoms said:

Pity they weren't able (or willing) to use the existing railhead to load trains to cart the spoil away and bring materials in.  Could have spared the locals from all that disruption (and fumes) from the fleet of belching lorries.  Or even tipped the stuff into ships!

Future 'clean' technology plant built on diesel ... not a good look!

Dust.png

Dust2.png

I hope that all that dust blowing around Cambois isn't contaminated with residue from decades of industrial use, eg. fly ash, heavy metals, asbestos.  Let's not forget the stuff that might have been spread over the site when the place was demolished.  That's why I'm suprised that dust monitors and bowsers are only now being deployed ... you'd have thought that a proper site survey would have been conducted BEFORE the ground works began to identify any problems and recommend systems to mitigate the spread of dust.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now