It is with great sadness I have to announce the passing away of my wife Dot (Doreen Dagless) Patterson, after a long illness she passed away May 10th in the Grande Cache hospital (Alberta, Canada), peacefully, with her family by her side.

Born June 9th 1944 and raised in Bedlington, Married in St Cuthbert's church September 5th 1962, she raised four children, Andrea, Keith, Angela and Amanda, and then moved to Canada 1976, where the family became larger gaining 10 grand children 7 great grandchildren .

It has been many years since she was able to visit Bedlington but was able to keep in touch with several friends and school friends (Hollymount square, Westridge school), and fondly remembered the reunions 

She was pre deceased by her mom and dad, Ruby and Bill Dagless and her sister Jean Harrison.

Vic Patterson.

So very sorry to learn of your dear wife passing away Vic. I was brought up in beatty road until my late teens so would have passed through hollymount square many times so probably went passed your wife's home. From what you would write it sounds that you both enjoyed a wonderful time in Canada along with your family. Our sympathies are with you all. Jim R

• Like 1

Vic, there are no words that I can say that can  take away the great pain you and the family must be feeling at this time. It is sad news indeed. Dot seems to have had a rich and wonderful life and I'm sure she enjoyed all the children and grandchildren. There must have been many happy, family times which now become happy, family memories - of which she is a part - for all of you. Enjoy those memories. I know that you nursed Dot for a long while and that you did a great, if sometimes dufficult, job. Let it be a comfort to you, knowing that she was able to remain at home so long thanks to your kindness and effort. And don't forget, that Dot, despite her poor health, has helped in the documentation of Bedlington's rich history on this site thanks to her knowledge of Phillips Yard and the bakery. My thoughts are with you.

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for your kind thoughts and prayers, it seems no matter how prepared you feel you are it is still a shock, that is when friends and family are so important.

Creating memories is very important, not long ago we called her sister Joyce, their first conversation was of a four year olds  Christmas in Phillips Yard and an "incident" with a dolly that had a celluloid face! Creating and recounting memories is so important. 

We brought her bedridden mom Ruby with us to Canada, in a few years the dry mountain air enabled her to regain some mobility and was able to walk and attend her weekly "Bingo" 19 bonus years. Bonus memories for her grand children!

Thank you again for you appreciated thoughts.

Vic.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Vic,the reality of losing "Wor" Doreen,hasn't really sunk in,after I got your message,I still think she will be there ti keep ye reet,but even though we haven't seen each other for all them years,ye canna wipe oot treasured memories,they stay here in ya heart forever.

Doreen and me were like Brother and Sister,along wi Maureen,from three years old,Home Pals,School Pals,just there aal thi time..long Summer nights playing in the square are firmly embedded in my mind.

My heart goes out to you and your family Vic,my Wife,Cathy,sends her love also,she is suffering ill health also through the effects of Major Seizures,losing her memory is one of the side effects of all this,so she can't remember any of the old days,or her Childhood,and even what happened yesterday,but she does remember me telling her of my old friend Doreen's Passing,and was so sorry to hear the sad news.

All I can say is,Vic,stay strong,Marra,keep those memories close to your heart,and remember how well liked Doreen was over here by those who were her friends.

Could you also tell Maureen,we lost another dear old friend recently,Joan Bell..[she was married to Josie Reed,although Maureen might not remember Josie..they were a lovely couple..]

How can I begin to say Cheers Marra...doesn't seem right...Kindest regards Vic

Bill and Cathy xx

• Sad 2

@Vic PattersonAh! It’s always sad to hear of an old friend’s passing, though the lady isn’t known to me. From your description your wife was a cornerstone in your family and your affection for her shines brightly in your description of her. Condolences for your great loss 😢🌈xx

• Sad 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now