Concrete things in fields

2 hours ago, lilbill15 said:

Hello Mr Dickson, sir, I am now absolutely sure you’re correct, of course, about this field. Thank you very much for the information, I have learned about another layer of history . Older and wiser, indeed. Thanks again xx

@lilbill15 - @Alan dicksonstil a member but hasn't visited the group since July 23rd 2014 - you will find him on the Barrington, Barnt' n memories and stuff!!  Facebook group where he is the Admin  = https://www.facebook.com/groups/958444760904321

@Canny lass - the photo you were asking about is just before the railway lines where the Choppinton Railway Station used to be. There is a short terrace just before the railway lines and the house + Equestrian Centre in @lilbill15's photo was just built a couple of years ago.

Project1.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

@lilbill15 - @Alan dicksonstil a member but hasn't visited the group since July 23rd 2014 - you will find him on the Barrington, Barnt' n memories and stuff!!  Facebook group where he is the Admin  = https://www.facebook.com/groups/958444760904321

@Canny lass - the photo you were asking about is just before the railway lines where the Choppinton Railway Station used to be. There is a short terrace just before the railway lines and the house + Equestrian Centre in @lilbill15's photo was just built a couple of years ago.

Project1.jpg

@Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)so irritating there’s no “WOW “ emoji on this groupspeak. You’ve done it again, Alan, two steps ahead, as usual. Just confirming Mr Dickson was absolutely on the nail with his description of the clay pit/landfill area and the vents (concrete things)! The very steep slope I had been reluctant to negotiate previously actually took Me’nMax back down to the Green Letch (area signposted as new woodland) and path not currently recorded on OS map. Culminates at conduit under railway line then turns West then South back to concrete things field. . From @Canny lassmap I think her footbridge from Francis Pit to Nland Ave is now the wooden bridge which has a steep slope up the west side and now joins the waggonway above and alongside the Green Letch, running northeast over the Letch which meets the Netherton Letch in the gully below the concrete things/landfill field. My curiosity is absolutely satisfied, I’m sure anyone else is bemused if at all interested. Today’s highlights, greater spotted woodpecker has started visiting my garden, Max has celebrated his 3rd year as rescue dog with me- trip to Brown’s farm with J and Poppy, lunch and looong walk- spied spuggies and goldfinches in dunes. Now very very tired, night all x💤🐾💤🌈x

15 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

Thanks Eggy! I was thinking that it could be Station Row (the short terrace you mention) but the other buildings had me confused. I thought it was a farm.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Thanks Eggy! I was thinking that it could be Station Row (the short terrace you mention) but the other buildings had me confused. I thought it was a farm.

It will be approximately 18 months since I drove passed Station Terrace, Choppington, but I knew they had started building there as they prepared the land where the old Station House used to be and had started to build a new house. I don't know if it was the same builder that built the equestrian centre, or if it was part of a deal with the council  ie yes you can build the equestrian centre as long as you build a house where the old Station House used to be:rolleyes:, but Google street view (2020) shows the new house still under development. And you can see Station Terrace just passed the house.   

choppington station house.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

It will be approximately 18 months since I drove passed Station Terrace, Choppington, but I knew they had started building there as they prepared the land where the old Station House used to be and had started to build a new house. I don't know if it was the same builder that built the equestrian centre, or if it was part of a deal with the council  ie yes you can build the equestrian centre as long as you build a house where the old Station House used to be:rolleyes:, but Google street view (2020) shows the new house still under development. And you can see Station Terrace just passed the house.   

Now then Alan, I was dead chuffed with your emoji with the twinkling eyes, never seen one with movements before! How did you do that?🤔x Thank you very much for your info re building at Station Row, however the site I have been enquiring about is way over towards the little bridge over Netherton Letch. I don’t know how you and Canny lass make marks on your maps yet, but the area is to the right of the go from Willow water down to Netherton Letch with the landfill (concrete things) field to the left. I have splashed out and bought the OS map plus the online OS app so I can see better where I’ve been but haven’t had time yet to work out how to share this info. I’ll get there eventually I hope xx

16 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

Old photo of Choppington Station461191427_ChoppingtonStn.thumb.jpg.6d3c1438cf61f01c54786ede860eb3d7.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lilbill15 said:

Now then Alan, I was dead chuffed with your emoji with the twinkling eyes, never seen one with movements before! How did you do that?

Unfortunately @lilbill15 - I don't know how to get that Emoticon, along with many other oldies, when working on my Windows 10 Desktop PC :iiam:

On Windows 10 I assume I get the same set of Emoji's that you get but when working on my old Windows Vista Desktop PC I get the old Emoticons and not the Emoji set:wtf:.

I kept my old PC with Windows Vista as that is the machine I have the software that I use when 'clarting' with the photos.:thumbsup:. The software I have, Microsoft Digital Image Pro 10 (MDIP 10), for clarting is nearly as old as me and is no longer available and it can't be transferred to Windows 10 as it is not compatable:argue:

I had a clart with the Adobe Photoshop= £20 per month to rent - and this old dog was not having these new tricks so I got out of the Photosshop contract after a couple of months  :phone:

So when I go, MDIP 10 & Windows Vista go with me:D:P:o;):icecream::doctor::pc::innocent::jump::ph34r::shiftyninja::ball::beer::innocent::closed: 

Emoticons.jpg

Thank you very much for your info re building at Station Row, however the site I have been enquiring about is way over towards the little bridge over Netherton Letch. I don’t know how you and Canny lass make marks on your maps yet, but the area is to the right of the go from Willow water down to Netherton Letch with the landfill (concrete things) field to the left. I have splashed out and bought the OS map plus the online OS app so I can see better where I’ve been but haven’t had time yet to work out how to share this info. I’ll get there eventually I hope xx

Unfortunately the route from Netherton Colliery to Choppinton Station must be the only area (but there may be more) that this wandering Bedlington lad, (from The Oval and went to Barrington CP school 1953 to 1960) never wandered along. And in my youth I did wander and explore without wondering what my parents would be thinking as I was always late home from school or any other place I visited on a weekend. According to me mam I was, at the age of two and a bit, took a box of matches out of the house so I could stand it on end and try and climb over the gate into our house. I carried on wandering off for years. Good job there wasn't a Lock Down back then:whistle::punk:

• Like 1

I kept my old PC with Windows Vista as that is the machine I have the software that I use when 'clarting' with the photos.:thumbsup:.

I

Same here! but as of last week it doesn't recognize me and won't let me log into my Toshiba Satellite Vista, "The user Profile Service failed the logon, User profile cannot be loaded" It was my favourite computer as we spoke the same language ! most of my most important (but older) information is on it, I have most of the information on an external drive but my newer Windows and Apple just cooperate! 🙄

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Vic Patterson said:

Same here! but as of last week it doesn't recognize me and won't let me log into my Toshiba Satellite Vista, "The user Profile Service failed the logon, User profile cannot be loaded" It was my favourite computer as we spoke the same language ! most of my most important (but older) information is on it, I have most of the information on an external drive but my newer Windows and Apple just cooperate! 🙄

That’s a bu**er!! X

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Vic Patterson said:

Don't know of a way around that Vic - I'll have a think and see if I can find a way - don't hold your breath!!

My first action tomorrow, when I load this old PC, will be to see if I can create a new user account + password etc. at the point when the system gives you the option to enter password or switch user account:iiam: 

22 hours ago, lilbill15 said:

the site I have been enquiring about is way over towards the little bridge over Netherton Letch. I don’t know how you and Canny lass make marks on your maps yet, but the area is to the right of the go from Willow water down to Netherton Letch with the landfill (concrete things) field to the left. I have splashed out and bought the OS map plus the online OS app so I can see better where I’ve been but haven’t had time yet to work out how to share this info. I’ll get there eventually I hope xx

@lilbill15 I only manage the simple additions to maps and photos and I've no idea how to go about it on a mobile phone. However, here is a simple tip given to me many years ago by one of the grandchildren (then 11 yréars old): "just put a button or something on the spot you want me to look at and then take a picture so you can send it to me". That was to do with pointing out something on a document when I didn't know how to mark text for copying on a mobile phone but it would work well on a map I would imagine. It also obliviates the necessity of writing/making marks on your document/map.

I'm sure Eggy has much better advice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

I'm sure Eggy has much better advice.

Unfortunately not. I'm fortunate to have an old PC with Widows Vista where some old software - Microsoft Digital Image Pro 10 - still works. A mate bought it many years ago (10 I think) and I think it was up to 3 users could register the software package so he gave me the discs to load on my PC and have a play. Once loaded I gave him the discs back after I had registered the product and that was it until about 5 or 6 years ago when I started to to clart with it and I have clarted ever since.

Mobile phone software = no idea. My mobile is 2G with no access to the www. It's there for emergencies when I can't get to a landline:D.

I have played with Photoshop software but it was £20 a month for two of the 8 (I think) packages so there was loads of options that I have now that were not available with the £20 a mount contract.

My mind says Photoshop is Microsft Digital Pro 10 broken down into 8 options with each option costing you more. I remember adding up the cost of all the options and I think it was about £60 a month which would be ok for a commercial user that used it everyday and helped them make money but to me not an option for casual use.

18 hours ago, Vic Patterson said:

15 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

Don't know of a way around that Vic - I'll have a think and see if I can find a way - don't hold your breath!!

My first action tomorrow, when I load this old PC, will be to see if I can create a new user account + password etc. at the point when the system gives you the option to enter password or switch user account:iiam: 

Morning Vic - can't see any way around the problem when loading the system.

I had a Google search and the Microsoft site seems to be the best way at finding a solution. 

Once upon a time I would attempt to recreate a problem as I found it was the best way to learn how to get out of it. These days I wouldn't dare as the operating systems etc. have changed so much and the new terminology (even though it is just replacing terms we used to use) is confusing.

This is the address of the Microsoft site, that you may already have looked at :-

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-security/vista-user-profile-service-service-failed-the/48a4489e-a002-4e32-8a5c-a3577bcae587

• Like 2

On 29/05/2021 at 18:50, Canny lass said:

This pic is the one I was referring to;

4F18A1B2-E4EE-464B-8C0F-092E19D5CFC7.jpeg

Hello there @Canny lass, just scrolling through these chats, picked up “ one you were referring to “, sorry, missed your previous reference to. ?, I kept saying glibly ‘Sunnyside’ but Alan has corrected me to Station Row?terrace?. Forgive my ignorance x

2 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Seriously, Sunnyside is just a vague area to me. I was never much in the Choppington area. I know Station Row well because I visited often as a child with my older sister who had friends there.

No, @Canny lass, I’ve somehow got the mistaken notion these houses were called Sunnyside - my confusion, my error, apologies. Alan E. is very good at putting me right, fortunately x

Just now, lilbill15 said:

No, @Canny lass, I’ve somehow got the mistaken notion these houses were called Sunnyside - my confusion, my error, apologies. Alan E. is very good at putting me right, fortunately x

P.S. did Cathy Sekker(sic) live there o.u.a.time?  (maybe another delusion of mine?). x

P.S. did Cathy Sekker(sic) live there o.u.a.time?  (maybe another delusion of mine?). x

Can't help you there @lilbill15. All I know is what the Bygone Bedlington members posted on the Facebook group :-

14258153_1148732918518776_9116167076171922781_o.thumb.jpg.6fe1cb2315b75afd22713ed0ead2adc4.jpg

Plus the info posted on the Chronicle site :-

Kathy was born in Bedlington , Northumberland, and first came to public attention as a continuity announcer for Tyne Tees.

She went on to news programmes and hosted her own show, Kathy and Co, where her winning smile brought her thousands of fans.

She had no training, not even voice coaching, but she proved a natural.

She once said: “I was just a Bedlington lass but I have always spoken this way.

“I went to school in Newcastle but when I was at home with my friends it was different.

“Even now I can slip into the broad Bedlington dialect if I wanted to, but my mother would have a fit.”

I can't remember her, born 3 years before me, around Bedlington I only remember the young twin Secker lads that played football for local teams.

However - @pilgrim did post this comment back in 2016 

On 30/05/2021 at 14:11, Canny lass said:
On 29/05/2021 at 22:20, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

Just out of curiosity I had a look at the Choppington Area today, trying to determine where Sunnyside is. I've always thought of Sunnyside as the name of an area rather than the name of a street but it is in fact the name of a street:

Choppington 1947 enl..png

This OS map is from 1947 so Sunnyside must have been there when I was a child, yet I have no memory of it. I know the address I visited was Station Row, as my sister called it, but it is in fact Station Terrace according to the map. @lilbill15 you may be right, the houses in the picture may well be Sunnyside. I've no idea how the area looks today. However, looking at Alan's recent Google earth picture I can't seem to detect that row of houses. The Equestrian Centre seems to occupy the site - If I'm looking at the right area.

Edited by Canny lass
  • Thanks 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now