Local football club history 1958-65

QVC

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and wonder if anyone could help me with my hobby- tracking the history of amateur football clubs in the North East. I used to live in Newcastle but moved away for work many years ago. I'm retired now and building up a complete record of club movements between 1958/59 to 1964/65. I have read all the articles on football on the forum and found them all fascinating- you get a real appreciation of the sporting, industrial and social history of the area.

Would anyone be able to answer the following queries?

West Sleekburn Welfare- This club played in the Northern Alliance up to 1959. Did the club fold or move into a district/Miners Welfare league? I know the Colliery closed in 1962 and I assume the club disappeared with the colliery.

Northern Combination - This league featured a number of ex Northern Alliance clubs along with works teams dotted along the Tyne. Would anyone have a record of club membership in the 1958/59, 1959/60, 1961/62, 1962/63 seasons? Any information would be appreciated- old fixture details or league tables-anything to help me fill in the gaps in my records.

Northumberland Miners Welfare League- Was this league a "recreational " competition  and who were the strongest clubs involved between 1958- 65? I read somewhere the league was split into two sections- North and South- Would anyone know the champions?

I know this as an obscure query - but any information will help me piece together a record of a vanishing era and hopefully bring years of obsessive research to a nice conclusion!

Thanks for your time!

1 hour ago, QVC said:

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and wonder if anyone could help me with my hobby- tracking the history of amateur football clubs in the North East. I used to live in Newcastle but moved away for work many years ago. I'm retired now and building up a complete record of club movements between 1958/59 to 1964/65. I have read all the articles on football on the forum and found them all fascinating- you get a real appreciation of the sporting, industrial and social history of the area.

Would anyone be able to answer the following queries?

West Sleekburn Welfare- This club played in the Northern Alliance up to 1959. Did the club fold or move into a district/Miners Welfare league? I know the Colliery closed in 1962 and I assume the club disappeared with the colliery.

Northern Combination - This league featured a number of ex Northern Alliance clubs along with works teams dotted along the Tyne. Would anyone have a record of club membership in the 1958/59, 1959/60, 1961/62, 1962/63 seasons? Any information would be appreciated- old fixture details or league tables-anything to help me fill in the gaps in my records.

Northumberland Miners Welfare League- Was this league a "recreational " competition  and who were the strongest clubs involved between 1958- 65? I read somewhere the league was split into two sections- North and South- Would anyone know the champions?

I know this as an obscure query - but any information will help me piece together a record of a vanishing era and hopefully bring years of obsessive research to a nice conclusion!

Thanks for your time!

QVC - I don't have any info that your require. All I have is photos, with some basic info, posted in one of the Gallery albums = 'Local Football 2'. This is a direct link to that album that has 42 photos of local teams and includes a few of West Sleekburn Welfare :- 

There is one member who has fully researched The Bedlington Mechanics team and may have come across some info that might help you. That member is @Ovalteenyand I have 'Tagged' him via the '@ + name' method 

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

I have spent quite a bit of time researching Bedlington Mechanics FC, from 1948 and subsequently widened my search to include all the local teams from the Colliery Villages in East Northumberland. I have league table for several years from 1946-1960's for Northern Alliance, Northern Combination and Miners Welfare Leagues. I am happy to pass on the info that I have (albeit incomplete) by way of the spreadsheets that I compiled. If QVC would like to e-mail me on jack261@btinternet.com then I'm happy to expand further and also happy to share the spreadsheets.

Ovalteeny 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

@QVC - on the Bygone Bedlington Facebook group the following post was shared.

83950718_BygoneBedlingtonFacebookgrouppost.png.43edcddd9c4af59beb4c3a3125adc8f6.png

Would any info that your hobby- '........................... tracking the history of amateur football clubs in the North East......' have thrown up any info or photos on the history of the Dr Pit Welfare Park be of use to Frances Povey? 

I'm pretty sure that my research into the football teams of Bedlingtonshire from 1946-64(ish) won't be of much help, as I don't have any info regards when teams were formed and started to play at Dr. Pit Park. I'll see if I can can delve into my records and see, but I don't think so.

3 hours ago, Ovalteeny said:

I'm pretty sure that my research into the football teams of Bedlingtonshire from 1946-64(ish) won't be of much help, as I don't have any info regards when teams were formed and started to play at Dr. Pit Park. I'll see if I can can delve into my records and see, but I don't think so.

Cheers @Ovalteeny . I did email Frances Povey, a couple od days ago, attaching the message that John Krzyzanowski had posted in response to Rebecca Wilkzek request and I added into the email a direct link to the football albums you have created within this group and I added :- ' I am no historian or have access written historical data ..............'. I was expecting NCC to get someone to have a look and possibly ask questions:wave:.

However this is the reply I got back today :-Project1.png.42c0dc9157b7b9008b9175481f85aafd.png

I will add her response to the posting on Bygone Bedlington and see if John Krzyznowski can point her in the right direction within the Northumberland Archies at Woodhorn.

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now