Relatives born in Bedlington around 1876/78

A thought I have is Bill married a lady from Blyth(I'm fairly sure) and I knew her as Penny and they may have lived on Princess Louise Road, Blyth. I'm telling you this in case you decide to search for Bills father via Bills wedding certificate. I'm not aware of any children from the marriage. Bill now lives in Thailand or one of the other far eastern countries but have no contact details. Scott and Neave still have a Plumbing and Heating shop in Blyth. Bill sold it to the existing employees so they may know if Bill had a middle name. I'm sure the lady who now owns it will know because she worked there before Bill left. If you get really lucky she may have an email address for him in the far east. If you do make contact tell him you got the information from apprentice Keith from Hendersons. 

• Like 1

On 15/05/2021 at 23:34, Oldwulf said:

Thanks, I've made a note of him, and will see if I can find any info on him. I know that apart from my direct relatives there was a second family of Neave living nearby, so he might be one of mine or of this second family.

On 15/05/2021 at 21:17, Jammy said:

Oldwulf.  I've lived in Bedlington all my life and only came across one Neave family. This is what I know which may or may not be of any use to you. ................

Now don't tell anyone but I have been reading a book - To The Miner Born by Mary Wade. Really I was just looking for any new images to add to any of the albums in the Gallery - unfortunately there aren't any new ones. I must have Google searched for the book after I saw a comment by @Maggie/915 and I found a copy on Amazon - £3.46,  free postage, so I sent for it.

Chapter Eighteen - Page 87 mentions a Mr Neave, of North Terrace (Doctor Pit pit row). It's the one and only mention he gets in the book. There is no date mentioned but as the author had left school, age 14, I am guessing that it was the mid 1930's when Mr Neave was collecting weekly amounts of money from the miners for Friendlt Society - The Ancient Order of Foresters.

Neave.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

William Neave, My Great Grandmother's Brother, lived at 47 North Terrace (on 1911 Census) but by 1939 he had moved to a retired Miners Home in Hartford, where he died in 1939. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

On 16/05/2021 at 21:56, Jammy said:

A thought I have is Bill married a lady from Blyth(I'm fairly sure) and I knew her as Penny and they may have lived on Princess Louise Road, Blyth. I'm telling you this in case you decide to search for Bills father via Bills wedding certificate. I'm not aware of any children from the marriage. Bill now lives in Thailand or one of the other far eastern countries but have no contact details. Scott and Neave still have a Plumbing and Heating shop in Blyth. Bill sold it to the existing employees so they may know if Bill had a middle name. I'm sure the lady who now owns it will know because she worked there before Bill left. If you get really lucky she may have an email address for him in the far east. If you do make contact tell him you got the information from apprentice Keith from Hendersons. 

Yes I have found him now, I think he was Thomas William Neave, and Married Penny Gray in 1962. I can trace his Family back to 1766 at which time they lived 10 miles from my Neave Family in Norfolk. I haven't found a link that says he's related to me, but its very useful info for identifying this other Neave family. One of My Neave Ancestors also started a business in Blyth with my Great Uncle, they were Neave and Proom and were wagon builders just after WW1, They emigrated in 1920s to South Africa and had a wagon works there for many years.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 20/05/2021 at 17:26, Oldwulf said:

William Neave, My Great Grandmother's Brother, lived at 47 North Terrace (on 1911 Census) but by 1939 he had moved to a retired Miners Home in Hartford, where he died in 1939. Thanks for the info.

Sorry late to party on this but really think you might be able to help me out. My great grandmothers' sister in law was Mary Ann Cole (nee Neave) living 47 North Terrace in 1911, William's sister I think. My great grandmother and Mary Ann were best of friends and spent a life time in each others company. I inherited a box of photos of various children and I'm trying to figure out who they are. I wondered if you had any photos of William as a child or young man, or of any of the other Neave children. I've lots of Mary Ann and her husband if you are interested.  

21 minutes ago, Suzanne said:

Sorry late to party on this but really think you might be able to help me out. My great grandmothers' sister in law was Mary Ann Cole (nee Neave) living 47 North Terrace in 1911, William's sister I think. My great grandmother and Mary Ann were best of friends and spent a life time in each others company. I inherited a box of photos of various children and I'm trying to figure out who they are. I wondered if you had any photos of William as a child or young man, or of any of the other Neave children. I've lots of Mary Ann and her husband if you are interested.  

I would be interested in photos, as I do not have any at present. William Neave's daughter Mary Ann Neave, born in 1893, married George W Cole in Bedlington in 1913. I believe they had a son William Neave Cole in 1914, I am not currently aware of any other children, but have not fully explored this branch of my family. You can email me directly if you wish on bob.tame@hotmail.co.uk with a picture of Mary Ann and her husband. I have other Coles from the Northeast in my tree, I'm now wondering if there is a link there. 

Just now, Oldwulf said:

I would be interested in photos, as I do not have any at present. William Neave's daughter Mary Ann Neave, born in 1893, married George W Cole in Bedlington in 1913. I believe they had a son William Neave Cole in 1914, I am not currently aware of any other children, but have not fully explored this branch of my family. You can email me directly if you wish on bob.tame@hotmail.co.uk with a picture of Mary Ann and her husband. I have other Coles from the Northeast in my tree, I'm now wondering if there is a link there. 

I forgot to ask, what was your great grandmother's name?

35 minutes ago, Oldwulf said:

I have lots of pictures of Mary, George and their son. I will send. I think the Neaves might have known Slaughters who also figure in my tree and all came from Norfolk. Fascinating. The Coles where from Wiltshire, William Cole born 1852 was born in Shrewton and settled in Bedlington. He was my great great grandfather. Interestingly, his daughter Selina (Sissy) and her family were the only family to ever live in 5 North Terrace at Doctor Put, from building it to pulling it down. Remember it well as a child x

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Suzanne said:

I have lots of pictures of Mary, George and their son. I will send. I think the Neaves might have known Slaughters who also figure in my tree and all came from Norfolk. Fascinating. The Coles where from Wiltshire, William Cole born 1852 was born in Shrewton and settled in Bedlington. He was my great great grandfather. Interestingly, his daughter Selina (Sissy) and her family were the only family to ever live in 5 North Terrace at Doctor Put, from building it to pulling it down. Remember it well as a child x

Yes, Jane Neave was formerly JAne Slaughter (from Norfolk) she married Robert Neave in Norfolk and it was after his death in 1881 she moved to Bedlington with all her children as Bedlington was where her father Matthew Slaughter and his family were already living. Most of them working as miners. 

11 minutes ago, Oldwulf said:

Yes, Jane Neave was formerly JAne Slaughter (from Norfolk) she married Robert Neave in Norfolk and it was after his death in 1881 she moved to Bedlington with all her children as Bedlington was where her father Matthew Slaughter and his family were already living. Most of them working as miners. 

My connection is Charlotte Slaughter born Drosier, born Norfolk and married my great great grandfather William Cole. Any bells?

1 hour ago, Suzanne said:

My connection is Charlotte Slaughter born Drosier, born Norfolk and married my great great grandfather William Cole. Any bells?

I have a Charlotte Drogies born 1845 marrying Henry Slaughter in 1866 in Norfolk, moving to Bedlington for a while around 1871 before going back to Norfolk. Do you have an tree online anywhere? My tree could be wrong. 

Thats her but she stayed or returned to Bedlington and married my great great grandfather William Cole. I have lots of Edwardian pictures of ladies posted in Norfolk. Probably her family but just in idea who. I have one know photo of her granddaughter Maud at school on a postcard from her daughter ..also from Norfolk. I have an ancestry tree. It's Claassen2. I think it's open. 

16 minutes ago, Suzanne said:

That's her but she stayed or returned to Bedlington and married my great great grandfather William Cole. I have lots of Edwardian pictures of ladies posted in Norfolk. Probably her family but just in idea who. I have one know photo of her granddaughter Maud at school on a postcard from her daughter ..also from Norfolk. I have an ancestry tree. It's Claassen2. I think it's open. 

Thanks, I found your tree but it will take a while to study it. I note you have  Charlotte's death in 1910 but you have a 1911 census attached, the Charlotte on the 1911 census was originally Charlotte Wilkinson and is not the same one as far as I can see. I'll see how much else we have in common. My tree on Ancestry is TameProomEvans 

7 minutes ago, Oldwulf said:

Thanks, I found your tree but it will take a while to study it. I note you have  Charlotte's death in 1910 but you have a 1911 census attached, the Charlotte on the 1911 census was originally Charlotte Wilkinson and is not the same one as far as I can see. I'll see how much else we have in common. My tree on Ancestry is TameProomEvans 

a

Both Neave and slaughter are very common both in Norfolk and Bedlington, and the forenames they used were also very common, so it’s quite hard to get it all right. I have discovered a couple of new children from your tree, and will have a further look at it later. My tree is constantly being corrected as I find new evidence.

2 hours ago, Suzanne said:

a

I think Charlotte Drogier was still alive in 1911, (as she is on the 1911 Census) she passed away in 1916. Her first husband was Henry Slaughter, her second Husband was William Cole. William Cole had two children of his own from his first marriage to Margaret Wilkinson when Charlotte married him in 1902, They had no children together as Charlotte was too old to have children by the time of their marriage in 1902. 

13 minutes ago, Oldwulf said:

I think Charlotte Drogier was still alive in 1911, (as she is on the 1911 Census) she passed away in 1916. Her first husband was Henry Slaughter, her second Husband was William Cole. William Cole had two children of his own from his first marriage to Margaret Wilkinson when Charlotte married him in 1902, They had no children together as Charlotte was too old to have children by the time of their marriage in 1902. 

So she definitely was still alive as I have postmarked postcards sent in 1915 from her daughter in Norfolk.  It's an error not corrected in my tree. Yes William had two children, my great grandma Selina and her brother George. Charlotte is not my direct ancestor but I seem to have a box of her keepsakes. I have a photo of a little girl. It could be Selina...or her sister and law Mary Ann Neave. This is the rabbit hole I've gone down. I'll post the photos and see if anyone can help. 

• Like 2

Thanks to Suzanne, I now have clarified the details of that part of my Family tree. Apologies to Waltham Wanderer for taking over his thread, but the evidence I have is that there was a regular flow of people too and from Norfolk to Bedlington in the 1800’s, but what their means  of transport was, I do not know. 

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now