Somebody Likes Bedlington!

Joe Rooney

This morning I had a long phone conversation with my cousin and her husband who live in North Shields.

We were talking about weekend trips since my wife and I have just spent a long weekend in Vancouver.

My cousin then told me that their favourites weekend trip is to Stannington, Morpeth, and Bedlington with a little casual wandering added.

When I asked how Bedlington looks these days (Having heard a lot of moaning on this site recently.) her response that this is one of the best kept towns in Southern Northumberland. In her view it is kept very clean and tidy. The grass and flowers are always well groomed, and the people seem to have a great deal of pride in the towns appearance. She went on to say that in her opinion, ever since the old pit heaps were removed, Bedlington has always looked good, and well worth a visit. Both of them admit that the town has obviously suffered since the closing of the pits some twenty or so years ago. But they feel that despite this, the town has always maintained a far better appearance than their own home town of North Shields.

That was good to hear, but how many people in Bedlington would agree?

Joe

Joe,

Don't know if I would agree with that. I was just back in Bedlington last month after a number of years away and there still looks to be a lot to do. Of course it is a subjective view as I am really comparing with what I am used to now.

Still looks like the forgotton backwater of Wansbeck to me which is a shame as Front Street is the only conservation area of its type in the whole of WDC!

I know there are moves afoot to change its appearance but there were when I lived there over 5 years ago.