Councillor Wallace - Further Developments…

After a reasonably quiet Easter break, things are moving apace.

Firstly, the latest update from ARCH on the Market Place development timescale – we will get there!

• Pre-work onsite is underway
  • Board approval expected on 28th April
  • Contractor tender returns due on 11 May
  • Clarification/evaluation of tenders complete by 30 June
  • Building due to start by late August
  • Completion late 2019/early 2020

I probably feel the frustration of the time this has taken more than most – it was 2015 when I first sat on the original Bedlington Steering Group.  Since then I have gotten to know the ARCH team involved in the project and I am well aware of the work that has been put into attracting retailers to Bedlington which, fair to say, hasn’t been the easiest of tasks…but at least things are progressing.

Another recent proposed development is at the Golf Club. My opposition to housing developments in Bedlington is well known and, as I have done with previous proposals, I will speak against wherever the projected development is debated.  However national housing policy means it is well possible that the development will receive planning approval – we just need to look at The Acres, Slaley Dene and Broad Oaks which have all gone ahead despite strong local opposition.

As both County Councillor for the Ward which includes the Golf Club and a member of the Golf Club, I am following the proposed development extremely closely.  Fellow Bedlington Councillors Bill Crosby and Malcolm Robinson and I will be doing all we can to ensure that if the development does gain planning approval Bedlington will gain the maximum benefit from the levies imposed on the builder.  I will also do everything that I can minimise the impact on wildlife and the environment – we are all aware of the damage caused during previous developments, especially to hedgerows, which was outrageous.

You may have noticed rubber lines across the road at the 30 mph sign as you come into town from Hartford Bridge and then another set half way up Hartford Bank towards the Red Lion roundabout.  These measure the average speed of vehicles as they enter and leave town and the results will dictate whether the road qualifies for the installation of speed enforcement cameras.  I’ll let you know whenever the results are released.

The initial traffic survey of the congestion at the Red Lion roundabout at peak times which took place after February half term has yet to be concluded but in the meantime, NCC are introducing “Keep Clear ” road markings at key points on the roundabout. Hopefully this will go some way to reducing the congestion.  This work will take place overnight – to avoid disruption!

My surgeries are held at Bedlington Community Centre at 6.30 pm on the first Thursday of the month, with the next surgery on 3 May. You can also contact me on 07779 983775 or at russ.wallace@northumberland.gov.uk. If I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you for reading.

Russ

View on Councillor Wallace's Blog

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now