How do I remember all these PIN codes?

Canny lass

I could do with some help remembering all my various numbers. My computer is in chaos since the last uppgrade and I now have to log in every time i visit a site - despite asking for my details to be remembered. I seem to remember 3g once giving some tips about having all Pin numbers saved under one PIN number (or have I dreamed about it?). Does anybody have any experience of and/or can recommend anything useful - but not too complicated? 

2 hours ago, Canny lass said:

I could do with some help remembering all my various numbers. My computer is in chaos since the last uppgrade and I now have to log in every time i visit a site - despite asking for my details to be remembered. I seem to remember 3g once giving some tips about having all Pin numbers saved under one PIN number (or have I dreamed about it?). Does anybody have any experience of and/or can recommend anything useful - but not too complicated? 

CL - Not sure I can help - both my Desktop PC's are Windows systems using Google and the saving of login Id's + passwords is automatically asked when you first visit a new site. Updates to passwords are also asked to be saved = pop-up window when you make changes.

What system9s) are you using?

• Like 1

Canny - I write mine in a notebook. I bought 'The Personal Internet Address & Password Logbook' in Waterstones some years ago, although I'm sure it's available online.  I always use a pencil to write the entries so when they change I simply rub them out and redo;  pen would just mean loads of crossing outs.  I know, I know, I know - security, security, security ... I take the view that if anybody broke into my house to gain access to my PC they could give me a good thrashing to extract the pins, codes and passwords anyway;  so the notebook will save me from being tuned-up.

Edited by Symptoms
  • Like 2

@Canny lass - I had a bit clart on my PC and if you are using Windows 10 ( I would assume Win 7 & 8 exactly the same) and Google then I believe what you should be looking for is :- Setings , Auto-fill and Passwords.

First select the 3 dots at the top left corner of your Google browser screen

1557837426_CusandCon.png.169d2a1610e98d974fd7044448c9adb1.png

That will bring up a menu with 'Settings' in it - select Settings

settings.png.2b76bffea16d43ac7ad2f04c58a07bcd.png

That will bring up a screen with selections down the left of the screen and there will be an 'Auto-fill' icon, select that

819657848_autofill.png.87f9416a90ead35d51d5a32675eee80c.png

and that will bring up the Password option - select that 

passwords.thumb.png.6b2624a7c2df30c2a0432e6a0116edb3.png

that should bring up - 'Offer to save Passwords' = a slide bar and I would guess your slide bay is switched off. Switch it on.

offer.png.0be72697dd8b65c21bc15f34f4d1a6ca.png

Now what I don't know is that when you slide it to On if your previously saved passwords will be brought back , ie. from a file that was not affected by your upgrade, or if you will be starting again from scratch. I did not experiment with my 'slide bar' as I didn't want to risk loosing the 100+ passwords I have saved.

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)
  • Thanks 1

@Canny lass - forgot to add - as I am starting to forget things, especially passwords of 8, or more, letters that include :-  numeric, special characters, upper & lower case alpha  a few years ago I created an Excel spreadsheet with all my Login Id's, passwords and info associated with each one.

Naturally that Excel document is not held on any PC but on a Memory Stick that can be accessed on numerous hardwrae devices. All I have to do now is remember to keep that Memory Stick up to date:thumbsup:

Project1.png

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)
  • Like 1

On 09/02/2021 at 16:53, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

What system9s) are you using?

I also use Windows 10 and have Google saving my passwords but since the last update, about 10 days ago, I've had nothing but problems with logging in, particularly this site. I've had to log in to everything that I normally never log out of - bedders for instance - and save the password . However, everytime I switch on the computer I have to repeat the whole process. 

I've followed all your excellent instructions, Eggy, and "Offer to save passwords" was already enabled. Over the last week I've had countless pop-ups telling me that I need to change my passwords - which I've done - and I can see in Settings that the new passwords have been saved. 

On 09/02/2021 at 17:54, Symptoms said:

Canny - I write mine in a notebook.

I keep a file on the computer with all mine and a paper copy in a drawer in the kitchen. But, it's a bit of a beggar having to go and fetch it every time I need it (in another room or on a device that's not synchronised). Eggy's idea of a memory stick sounds like something we both could use. It could be kept on a keyring.

57 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

I also use Windows 10 and have Google saving my passwords but since the last update, about 10 days ago, I've had nothing but problems with logging in, particularly this site. I've had to log in to everything that I normally never log out of - bedders for instance - and save the password . However, everytime I switch on the computer I have to repeat the whole process. 

@Andy Millne :- is there something saved on this site when a machine + the operating system connects to the site? Could there be an old operating system associated with CL's login that is resulting in her having to input login details from her upgraded system.🙃

It sounds like your browser is automatically deleting cookies when you close it. The “remember me” functionality on websites relies on cookies being allowed to persist between sessions. If the login cookie is deleted you get logged out. 

which browser are you using? It could be the browser settings themselves or an extension. 

• Like 1

Incidentally storing all your passwords in plain text in a spreadsheet is a very bad idea. 😉

What you need is a password manager such as LastPass or 1password.

Next best is your os/browser password manager (what you are doing when you opt to save usernames and passwords after logging in). The difference between this and a spreadsheet is the passwords are stored encrypted protected by your primary password.

https://www.getsafeonline.org/protecting-yourself/passwords/

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Andy Millne said:

Incidentally storing all your passwords in plain text in a spreadsheet is a very bad idea.

Just wait till you're in your seventies young man!

Only joking, Andy! You are right, of course but it's not easy for someone who only found out what a computer was having already hit the 50 mark and since then has had a service department of rank who answered my every query and sorted out every problem that I've ever  encountered. Neither does it help that I don't possess  one single iota av interest in anything more technical than a ball-point pen.

17 hours ago, Andy Millne said:

Next best is your os/browser password manager (what you are doing when you opt to save usernames and passwords after logging in). The difference between this and a spreadsheet is the passwords are stored encrypted protected by your primary password.

Edited by Canny lass

continued: I usually use the browser  for passwords that aren't vitally important and not used often. Some, like Bedlington.co.uk, which I use frequently but don't give access to personal/private or sensitive details (bank etc.), I usually just leave myself logged in so it's irritating to have to repeat the whole process every time. Having said that, this log in worked fine using the browser procedure but I hadn't logged out. It seems to do that for me whenever I switch off the computer wether I want it to not.

A password manager sounds like a good idea. I'll use the link you provided once I'm finished with today's work to see what I can do. Yo.u may get questions if that's OK

5 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Today another pop-up appeared:

We need to fix your Microsoft-account (your password has presumably been changed). Click here to fix it in Settings for Shared experiences. (my translation). Could this have anything to do with it?

I'm still clarting around but haven't found anything, other than the 'Auto Sign in' & 'Check Passwords', in Settings that I could suggest updating.  

Roll on next time I go into a room and think - why did I come in here - I might get a light bulb moment.:D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Today another pop-up appeared:

We need to fix your Microsoft-account (your password has presumably been changed). Click here to fix it in Settings for Shared experiences. (my translation). Could this have anything to do with it?

Canny Lass,

That popup seems a bit suspicious. Someone after your login details? You need to speak with someone who knows about these BEFORE you do anything. 

• Like 1

Canny Lass,

I've just done a Win10 upgrade without any problems. Like you for this site my login details are remembered. I didn't have to login to get back into this site.

Do you have any security software running that may be being extra protective since the upgrade?  

You need to speak with someone who knows about these things.

It may be worth a google to see if anyone else has had similar problems. Search " passwords not saved since Win10 upgrade" or similar. Or, "a popup has appeared since Win10 upgrade" You may get lucky.

• Like 1

Same problems until 5 minutes ago when I got a notification from Bedlington.com.uk regarding another account with the same email as my google account and asking me to link them. Done! and now seems to be working fine on this site. I'll just switch off and switch on again to see if it continues.

No. I was logged out and had to sign in again. I've saved my password AGAIN on request and will see what happens next.

Grandson coming on Sunday to have a look at the problem.

25 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

Yippee!!!!

Success. It didn't log me out this time. Let's hope it continues. Now I'll try some other log-ins elsewhere. Thanks for all your patience and help guys!

☺️☺️☺️                                           ☺️☺️☺️

☺️☺️☺️                             ☺️☺️☺️  

☺️☺️☺️             ☺️☺️☺️

☺️☺️☺️☺️

☺️☺️ 

☺️

3 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

I'm afraid I spoke too soon! It's logged me out again and asked if I want my password saved again when I logged in!!

🙁🙁🙁🙁🙁🙁🙁

Same problem persisting on other sites.

On 10/02/2021 at 22:37, Andy Millne said:

Andy, thanks for this link. It's a massive document and will probably take time to read all the parts that are relevant to me but it's not too difficult to understand - even for me. I've already learned that I need to improve my passwords and there are some good tips for doing so. I'd advise everyone to read it - or at least those parts that apply to just them personally.

Canny - you wrote: " Neither does it help that I don't possess  one single iota av interest in anything more technical than a ball-point pen."

So, perhaps my notebook method is the  way to go ... leave it beside your PC and not in the kitchen drawer so it's to hand.

Also, check to see if your virus protection software comes with a password manager included.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now