4 Stone Row, Bank Top, Bedlington

Campers

Hi, 

New to this group but saw limited information on the above through an Internet search and had limited access to a post with comments from 'Canny Lass' and 'Eggy' 

I am researching my wife's side of her tree and am struggling with her Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother. 

I have their marriage certificate, (William Young married Margaret Richardson) in 1912.

He shows as residing at Stone Row, Bank Top and Margaret at Vulcan Place.

His father shows as Thomas and hers as Joseph. 

I know from a later birth certificate that they were still living on Stone Row a few years after they got married. 

My questions are

a) Were Stone Row and Back Row one and the same place? 

b) Are they still standing or have they been demolished (can't seem to find them on Google maps) 

c) Lastly can anybody shed any light onto either William, Margaret or their parents? 

Apologies for the length of my first post and thank you in advance to any light that can be thrown on to this. 

Campers. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Campers said:

Hi, 

New to this group but saw limited information on the above through an Internet search and had limited access to a post with comments from 'Canny Lass' and 'Eggy' 

I am researching my wife's side of her tree and am struggling with her Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother. 

I have their marriage certificate, (William Young married Margaret Richardson) in 1912.

I know from a later birth certificate that they were still living on Stone Row a few years after they got married. 

My questions are

b) Are they still standing or have they been demolished (can't seem to find them on Google maps) 

c) Lastly can anybody shed any light onto either William, Margaret or their parents? 

Apologies for the length of my first post and thank you in advance to any light that can be thrown on to this. 

Campers. 

Welcome to the group Campers.

I will try and find some old photos of the area, I believe, Front Sone Row and Back Stone Row were located.

This current Google aerial shot shows the area.

913621094_BankTop-BedlingtonandBebsidewoods.thumb.png.1e533a456fc7cccb103bea207b3256c4.png

This list of house, from the late 1940's, posted by @Reedy, is the street names etc that his dad remembers from that era.  

BebsideFurnacefamilies1940.thumb.jpg.e7248c94a58897a24f5eb9cfbdd81981.jpg

Thank you for your response, certainly any details from the turn of last century would be appreciated as the 1911 census seems to be giving me more questions than answers and search as I may can't seem to find the post from 'Canny Lass' that seemed to have some limited information from that time period. 

Thank you for your initial assistance which is appreciated and if you are able to show images from that era it will be appreciated. 

8 hours ago, Campers said:

Hi, 

My questions are

Campers. 

Hi Paul, if the children of William and Margaret were Thomas, Joseph and Catherine I think they were in Burnside in 1939. My great grandfather was a William Young but not your William. There are better people than me to keep you right about place names. Good luck with your research and welcome to the website.  B)

Welcome to the forum, Campers!

Do you have any more information on William or Thomas: age at marriage and occupation would be a good start?  Should be on the marriage certificate.

Stone Row was located in the area shown at the right hand corner of Eggy’s photo at Bebside Furnace.  As you see, nothing exists of the buildings today. They were demolished in the fifties. Though not officially in Bedlington, as far as census records are concerned, it was within the parish of Bedlington and the 1911 census has several instances of residents giving their address as Bedlington while the enumerator’s records show the correct address as Bebside Furnace. I even found one resident on the 1901 census who gives his address in Bebside Furnace as Bank Top, though this was an area on the opposite side of the river. The Furnace was also the home of my parents and their parents before them at the turn of the century.

I don’t know how familiar you are with the Bedlington area but here’s a map of the wider area we are discussing.

image.png.62586f4b949917f50af5fbe616ca6722.png

You can see Bebside Furnace straddling the B.1330 (bottom left). The row on the left of the B.1330 is Brick Row. The row on the left side is Stone Row (-Back and -Front, formerly known as Sea View). The row on the right at a right angle to the B.1330 is Paradise Row.

Here’s a map of the area 1897 which Eggy did for me to help with a bit of earlier research. It might help you too.

image.png.76950fc322c66d31d14390cd3b41d62b.png

And here is the best photo I’ve managed to find.

image.png.4a8aa61d7ff31c24ba04ffe8f665c745.png

The chimneys running north to south to the right of the single tall chimney are the chimneys of Stone Row. The row of chimneys on the far left are of Brick Row while the row running left to right in the distance is Paradise Row.

The street names changed quite often as the area was developed. Wood Row became Paradise Row. Stone Row (which seems to have been an extension of Sea View) was built later and the most modern row was called Brick Row – to distinguish it from the other two.

As far as I’ve been able to understand Stone Row Back and Stone Row Front are one and the same row of houses with entrances from both sides, hence back and front. Quite a common occurrence earlier in Bedlington. Initially this doesn’t seem to have been the case but there was a desperate shortage of housing at the time so one house with two entrances (one front – facing the main road) and one back (facing the back street, outside toilet and allotment type garden) may have been divided to house two families. The front door would lead directly onto the staircase allowing access to the upstairs rooms which would house one family while the back door would give access to the downstairs rooms. I assume the toilet would be shared.

I‘ve researched the area well and I’ve never found any Youngs living in any of the streets at Bebside Furnace on the 1911 census but I have come across a Thomas Young with a son, William born about 1893 on the 1901 census. If I can be of any help feel free to ask.

• Thanks 2

Thank you for your response, certainly any details from the turn of last century would be appreciated as the 1911 census seems to be giving me more questions than answers and search as I may can't seem to find the post from 'Canny Lass' that seemed to have some limited information from that time period. 

Thank you for your initial assistance which is appreciated and if you are able to show images from that era it will be appreciated. 

13 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Welcome to the forum, Campers!

Do you have any more information on William or Thomas: age at marriage and occupation would be a good start?  Should be on the marriage certificate.

Stone Row was located in the area shown at the right hand corner of Eggy’s photo at Bebside Furnace.  As you see, nothing exists of the buildings today. They were demolished in the fifties. Though not officially in Bedlington, as far as census records are concerned, it was within the parish of Bedlington and the 1911 census has several instances of residents giving their address as Bedlington while the enumerator’s records show the correct address as Bebside Furnace. I even found one resident on the 1901 census who gives his address in Bebside Furnace as Bank Top, though this was an area on the opposite side of the river. The Furnace was also the home of my parents and their parents before them at the turn of the century.

I don’t know how familiar you are with the Bedlington area but here’s a map of the wider area we are discussing.

You can see Bebside Furnace straddling the B.1330 (bottom left). The row on the left of the B.1330 is Brick Row. The row on the left side is Stone Row (-Back and -Front, formerly known as Sea View). The row on the right at a right angle to the B.1330 is Paradise Row.

Here’s a map of the area 1897 which Eggy did for me to help with a bit of earlier research. It might help you too.

image.png.76950fc322c66d31d14390cd3b41d62b.png

And here is the best photo I’ve managed to find.

image.png.4a8aa61d7ff31c24ba04ffe8f665c745.png

The chimneys running north to south to the right of the single tall chimney are the chimneys of Stone Row. The row of chimneys on the far left are of Brick Row while the row running left to right in the distance is Paradise Row.

The street names changed quite often as the area was developed. Wood Row became Paradise Row. Stone Row (which seems to have been an extension of Sea View) was built later and the most modern row was called Brick Row – to distinguish it from the other two.

As far as I’ve been able to understand Stone Row Back and Stone Row Front are one and the same row of houses with entrances from both sides, hence back and front. Quite a common occurrence earlier in Bedlington. Initially this doesn’t seem to have been the case but there was a desperate shortage of housing at the time so one house with two entrances (one front – facing the main road) and one back (facing the back street, outside toilet and allotment type garden) may have been divided to house two families. The front door would lead directly onto the staircase allowing access to the upstairs rooms which would house one family while the back door would give access to the downstairs rooms. I assume the toilet would be shared.

I‘ve researched the area well and I’ve never found any Youngs living in any of the streets at Bebside Furnace on the 1911 census but I have come across a Thomas Young with a son, William born about 1893 on the 1901 census. If I can be of any help feel free to ask.

IMG_20210203_093038.jpg

IMG_20210203_093051.jpg

IMG_20210203_093142.jpg

14 hours ago, Bedlingtonian said:

Hi Paul, if the children of William and Margaret were Thomas, Joseph and Catherine I think they were in Burnside in 1939. My great grandfather was a William Young but not your William. There are better people than me to keep you right about place names. Good luck with your research and welcome to the website.  B)

Thank you and yes the details you have for the children and address are correct and already have that info from that same census. The problem is trying to go back up the tree from William and Margaret and is proving a lot more problematic than I had anticipated 

48 minutes ago, Campers said:

AMENDMENT!!

Sorry, I don't know where my head was yesterday but it doesn't seem to have been on my shoulders as I've got my left and right mixed up! The text should read (amendments in capitals):

You can see Bebside Furnace straddling the B.1330 (bottom left) The row on the RIGHT of the B.1330 is Brick Row. The row on left side is Stone Row (-Back and -Front, formerly known as Sea View). The row on the LEFT at a right angle to the B.1330 is Paradise Row.

• 1 year later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now