Shiney Row

Rigger

I have been informed Shiney Row was built by the Bedlington Coal Company about 1870.  Have looked in the 1871 Census but can find no evidence people living there at that time.  Does anyone know when they were first occupied?  Also, can anyone advice where I can get a plan or drawing of one of the houses in Shiney Row which all had 3 bedrooms and a kitchen except number 49 which had 4 bedrooms and a kitchen.  Thanks, Any help appreciated.

Can't remember stumbling across any plans of Shiney Row.

I know on the OS maps Shiney Row first appears on the 1896 map (published 1898) - no rows at all on the earlier OS map published 1866.

In the Bedlington Time Line by sixtownships it has the entry :-   1870 Shiney Row was built by the Bedlington Coal Company

Link to the Time Line :- 

@Rigger - pure shot in the dark - have you ever used 'Familysearch'? I don't have access to the 'normal' genealogy sites but I have used Familysearch when helping a mate track some relatives down. I do remember that on each successful search we did the street adress of where the person we were searching was returned.

You don't have to join for using this search facility. This is a link to the site :-  https://www.familysearch.org/search/family-trees/

On 27/01/2021 at 20:49, Rigger said:

I have been informed Shiney Row was built by the Bedlington Coal Company about 1870.  Have looked in the 1871 Census but can find no evidence people living there at that time.  Does anyone know when they were first occupied?  Also, can anyone advice where I can get a plan or drawing of one of the houses in Shiney Row which all had 3 bedrooms and a kitchen except number 49 which had 4 bedrooms and a kitchen.  Thanks, Any help appreciated.

Probably the building work was not completed until after the 1871 census. Number 49 was bigger than the others because it was the undermanager’s house. In the 1911 census, Thomas Croudace, the Dr Pit undermanager was living there. His son, Charlie Croudace was the colliery manager for many years until 1955 when he was succeeded by George Hetherington. The pay office was built onto the gable end of No 49 where I received my first week’s pay of just over £4 in 1957.The building dates and number of houses of all the rows according to Stephen Martin’s book on Bedlington are as follows-

Cross Row. 12 houses built in 1855 to accommodate the shaft sinkers.

Shiney Row – 1870, 49 houses.

Doctor Terrace – 1874, 49 houses.

New South Row – 1886, 24 houses.

Telephone Row – 1886, 20 houses.

North Terrace - 1906, 50 houses.

A total of 204 families.

361958269_Shineyrow2.thumb.JPG.7b63503bb14d58f97b8c668cb7c77540.JPG722256055_ShineyRow19612.thumb.jpg.9c16e3551ec5f6ae7691a59a3e4aef16.jpg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, James said:

Probably the building work was not completed until after the 1871 census. Number 49 was bigger than the others because it was the undermanager’s house. In the 1911 census, Thomas Croudace, the Dr Pit undermanager was living there. His son, Charlie Croudace was the colliery manager for many years until 1955 when he was succeeded by George Hetherington. The pay office was built onto the gable end of No 49 where I received my first week’s pay of just over £4 in 1957.The building dates and number of houses of all the rows according to Stephen Martin’s book on Bedlington are as follows-

Cross Row. 12 houses built in 1855 to accommodate the shaft sinkers.

Shiney Row – 1870, 49 houses.

Doctor Terrace – 1874, 49 houses.

New South Row – 1886, 24 houses.

Telephone Row – 1886, 20 houses.

North Terrace - 1906, 50 houses.

A total of 204 families.

@James - do you have a book with that info in or is it online?

I was thinking of creating an Album - 'Doctor Pit and Rows' - where any member could add new entry and info. 

On 31/01/2021 at 17:31, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

@James - do you have a book with that info in or is it online?

I was thinking of creating an Album - 'Doctor Pit and Rows' - where any member could add new entry and info. 

In the 1980’s Stephen Martin wrote 7 booklets that together formed the “Bedlington Villages History Series” The titles are – Bedlington, Sleekburn, Stakeford & Bomarsund, West Sleekburn, Choppington, Barrington, Netherton. (Perhaps there is also one on Cambois?) Unfortunately I only have 3 of them – Bedlington, Netherton and “Bomarsund & Stakeford”

I think it is a good idea to open an album on the Doctor Pit and Rows. There have been lots of photos posted in the history forum over the years and it would great to see them in an album. I have quite a few so as soon as the album is open I will post them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, James said:

I think it is a good idea to open an album on the Doctor Pit and Rows. There have been lots of photos posted in the history forum over the years and it would great to see them in an album. I have quite a few so as soon as the album is open I will post them.

I'll have think about it and I will have to make sure that when I do I remember to create it with the option for all members to add new photos as separate entities.

@Andy Millne - I'm sure is possible but can you confirm that when a member creates an album other members, as well as add comments and photos to exiting entries, all other members can be given the option to add additional photos as separate entries?  

53 minutes ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

I'm sure is possible but can you confirm that when a member creates an album other members, as well as add comments and photos to exiting entries, all other members can be given the option to add additional photos as separate entries?  

Yes it's an option in the privacy menu when creating an album.

image.png

• Thanks 1

On 03/02/2021 at 13:20, James said:

@James - I have created an album - Doctor Pit and Rows - and started it off with the basic info from the Durham Mining Museum site + a couple of maps to show it's and what I believe was the first colliery row.

I have done as @Andy Millne pointed out and selected the 'Anyone can submit to this album' option when I created it so you should be able to add photos into separate entries or group them into one entry if you wish. 

1 hour ago, Rigger said:

How do I add a photo to the Dr Pit and Rows album? 

@Rigger - as you will have seen from the above comments we went for creating an album that all members could add images into and this is the first time I have done that. It would appear with this type of album you only get to see the first photo that was added into the album and all subsequent images that are posted are listed below the original image. You can't see the additional added images until you select/open the album and scroll down the album - but I'm just learning with this type of album:D.

When you first select Gallery - Historic Bedlington - you get the option to 'Add Images' and if you select Add Images at that point you are given the choice a choice of creating a new album or adding to an existing album = uploading an image from your device/PC etc.

2084194734_Addimage.thumb.png.714961ae7f0611aa4b03c81509fe62e0.png

643732949_Addimagea.thumb.png.8428bf57b625e61887e88d40b347ba3b.png

You can however pass that stage and select the album you want to add an image to from the list and after selecting the album you get the Add Images option again when you select Add Images you get a screen where you can upload, by selecting the plus sign in the black circle, and then when you have uploaded your images select the option 'Submit all images' at the bottom right hand corner of the screen. 

556695658_AddImage1.thumb.png.cdbc23726df710875732934e6ca80ebd.png

2088156822_AddImage2.thumb.png.7e8ecf66a2376be48688ed69a6f5df44.png

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

@John Fox (foxy) - would you add your photos of the demolition of the rows to the entry for Doctor Terrace.

@James - are there any images of Telephone Row, New South Row and Cross row in the books you have? I have searched on the local Facebook groups but can't find any photos showing the houses or back lanes. 

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now