Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Beware when walking down or up, the " Black Path",which leads from the car park at the bottom of the Furnace Bank,up to the Beattie Road,Hollymount Terrace area.

It is being frequented by the same idiotic set of Wimpy Snowflake "Off Road" bikers,who have no consideration at all for the environment,nor the wildlife,nor those of us who just want a nice quiet walk up through the woods to excercise,and to watch for wildlife.

They have removed the Baffles from the exhausts of their bikes,to sound "cool",and they can be heard from over a mile away,as the noise echoes through the wooded valley.

The "Amusing" part is,the bikes are TWO-STROKE  machines,which depend upon the back -pressure of the Exhaust system,to ensure smooth and efficient operation,and the removal of the baffles is the reason why they are riding by, constantly revving a dying engine as they slow down to get past..ironically,they seem to be polite as they go past and give a nod to us for going out of our way onto the grassy bank,to allow them to pass!

I am not a killjoy,and enjoy riding my bike,when the time comes that I might be allowed to get out again,but these kids,are blatantly breaking every motoring and lockdown law in the book...No number plates,no tax,probably no Insurance or Mot,excessive noise,and smoke pollution,riding on prohibited  pedestrian walkways, a danger to the public,riding a motorcucle "Two-up",where there is no provision for a pillion passenger..[pillion riding with both legs splayed out...no footrests]..etc etc!

I have made my mind up that if I witness one go out of control and end up in the river,I will carry on walking with my terrified Wife,who has been so scared of these people running into her Mobility scooter,that she doesn't want to go back..but I am adamant that we have the right to be there,THEY DON'T!.

The Police force are stretched now,so it isn't going to prevent these people ,cos they know they can get away with it.

So,all I am saying is,watch how you go if you decide to take excercise down there!! 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@HIGH PIT WILMA - just for fun I thought I would check how much walking you were doing:). I am always playing with Google Street View getting the distance from A to B along a road. I have seen other Apps/Tools etc that walkers use when they go off through the countryside but didn't think you could use Google Street View for checking 'Off The Road' distances.

After a bit of clarting I see you can work out the Off the road distances and the distance from Dene Park car park, along the Black Path,  to the exit at the top of Beatty Road is approx 1.17Km = 3,830.58 ft =  0.7254886364 miles.

164904678_BlackPath.jpg.ac9b196cf2da2732ffd73c342fcc0249.jpg

And using other options from the menu(s) that pop up in the white boxes you can get different tracking methods:thumbsup:

1033265601_Plottingpath.thumb.png.be18d625fe15e49512a5ca2c9faa5275.png

All the people with up to date mobiles will already know about this method of planning a route but with my old 1G Samsung = big keys for sending texts - I don't have any access to any Apps:thumbsup: 

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Heh heh Alan,great stuff isn't it,afore Wor Deano went ti Norfolk last March,he lived with us,and one day he came through inti the sitting room showing me his new phone wi at Nav on,and it was accurate to two Meres!He waaked across wor floor,two steps and it showed his position aside the telly..scary!

We dinna gaan up thi Black Path ti thi top..it wud kill me! we gaan ti the second seat ,have a blaa,luk for Squirrels,and come bak  doon..we saw Pete and his Wife one day..we just stopped ti taak ti these two strangers...and it turned oot ti be Pete!Strange co-incidence!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

That little square opposite the La Torre Restaraunt..[Black Bull Pub ti me!!..unless aam mistaken!]  is Hollymoont Square where a was browt up from aged 3 yrs till a got married in 1967.See hoo far it is stryght doon the Bedltn Bank and we were inti the woods..a kids magic haven!![in the very 1950's..not lang after the war ended].

Link to post
Share on other sites

...hmmm...mebe lukking at it again,it might be THE DUN COO pub..a while since a been up that way!..when a was a bairn,tha was aboot 20-odd pubs and clubs up Bedltn main street,and a canna ivvor mind o any drunkards coming oot them and causing bother..they were mostly aal pitmen,oot ti wet tha dusty throats!! ..

Link to post
Share on other sites

The noisy bikers musta knaan the chopper was tekking picta's!!..nae sign o thim or tha smoke screens....!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

...hmmm...mebe lukking at it again,it might be THE DUN COO pub..a while since a been up that way!..when a was a bairn,tha was aboot 20-odd pubs and clubs up Bedltn main street,and a canna ivvor mind o any drunkards coming oot them and causing bother..they were mostly aal pitmen,oot ti wet tha dusty throats!! ..

It was The Dunn Coo Bill. I can't remember the exact sequence the name changing took but something like = Millfield (when John Tudor took it over after he finished playing football for NUFC) - then changed to Connections - then back to Dunn Cow - then back to The Millfield and then La Torre, Italian restaurant, joined/partnered The Millfield and as far as I am aware that's how it is now.

Street view, 2019, from the entrance to Hollymount Square.  

998107248_DunCowFrontstreetEast.jpg.15a0981cfb9fcb1dc3c42ecf84b68e0c.jpg

Black Bull comp

1855260203_BlackBullHotel.thumb.jpg.7c4b909a1bd834c1b4d4c262572855d3.jpg

Bedlington's drinking establishments - Then & Now album I did in 2016 :-

 

 

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/01/2021 at 11:30, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

It was The Dunn Coo Bill. I can't remember the exact sequence the name changing took but something like = Millfield (when John Tudor took it over after he finished playing football for NUFC) - then changed to Connections - then back to Dunn Cow - then back to The Millfield and then La Torre, Italian restaurant, joined/partnered The Millfield and as far as I am aware that's how it is now.

Street view, 2019, from the entrance to Hollymount Square.  

998107248_DunCowFrontstreetEast.jpg.15a0981cfb9fcb1dc3c42ecf84b68e0c.jpg

Black Bull comp

1855260203_BlackBullHotel.thumb.jpg.7c4b909a1bd834c1b4d4c262572855d3.jpg

Bedlington's drinking establishments - Then & Now album I did in 2016 :-

 

I played football for the Millfield/Connections and also stayed with John Tudor when he played against his pub team when he moved to the home of his local town of Ilkeston. Fond memories of a great social group. :rolleyes:     

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/01/2021 at 09:31, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

We dinna gaan up thi Black Path ti thi top..it wud kill me! we gaan ti the second seat ,have a blaa,luk for Squirrels,and come bak  doon..we saw Pete and his Wife one day..we just stopped ti taak ti these two strangers...and it turned oot ti be Pete!Strange co-incidence!

It was a strange co-incident Bill because we had intended to go to Morpeth, but when we got there the main street was close owing to some sort of festival. That's how we ended up down the woods for a walk. Anyhow it was great to meet you and your wife and of course not forgetting Jesse. Perhaps we will have another chance meeting in the future but Corvid is the big sticking point at the moment, I have not been able to visit good old Bedlington for over a year now as Leicester seems to be stuck in a permanent lockdown. Take care and keep safe.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Hide Adverts


×
×
  • Create New...