The Dawson and Jordan families

Dinah

Hello. I don't live in Bedlington area but am researching family history of Joseph and Thomasina Dawson (Thomasina was nee Jordan) who married in St. Cuthbert's Church, Bedlington, in Jan. 1899. They had at least 4 children though not all may have survived to adulthood. They are in the 1911 Census living at Netherton, and 1939 they lived at Morpeth, Crawford Terrace. It appears Thomasina died in 1947 aged 71. Joseph was born in Kirkheaton, and Thomasina in Pegswood. 

If anyone has any info about these families, I would be very interested. This is on behalf of a friend, it is not my own family. 

2 hours ago, Dinah said:

Hello. I don't live in Bedlington area but am researching family history of Joseph and Thomasina Dawson (Thomasina was nee Jordan) who married in St. Cuthbert's Church, Bedlington, in Jan. 1899. They had at least 4 children though not all may have survived to adulthood. They are in the 1911 Census living at Netherton, and 1939 they lived at Morpeth, Crawford Terrace. It appears Thomasina died in 1947 aged 71. Joseph was born in Kirkheaton, and Thomasina in Pegswood. 

If anyone has any info about these families, I would be very interested. This is on behalf of a friend, it is not my own family. 

Can't give you any info on the Dawsons. There is a Netherton/Nedderton old photos album in the Gallery with a couple of photos from start of the 20th century. 

This is a direct link to the album album under Gallery>Histoirc Bedlington>

A second album with a couple of photos - Netherton/Nedderton Old Photos 2 :-

Hi Dinah,welcome to the forum!

There was a Coach Company called "Jordan's Luxury Coaches",based in Bedlington,from before I was born,I think,and that was in the mid 1940's,it's a starting point,cos I imagine the Owners would have had to be born in the 1920's at least,so their Parents would be born ,in the late 1800's to early 1900's...surely!! A long shot,but who knows?..

There were a Family of Dawson's who lived at Choppington,in the Bedlingtonshire Area,and who all worked at Choppington "B" Colliery ..[commonly known as "The High Pit"...as opposed to the "Low Pit"..which was Choppington "A" Colliery]. I worked with them from 1959-1965,and later,at other Pits.

John Dawson ,who is a member of this forum,is also a Bedlington Historian,and he may be able to help in your search.

Best of Luck!

Cheers !

Bill. [aka HPW]

@Dinah - forgot to say if you ever want to search for anything on this group then the 'search' facility is very help full but remember if you put a phrase into the search bar then put  " around the phrase. that way only entries with the full phrase will be referenced. If you don't include  " at the start and end of the phrase then you will get a link for every time every single word in your phrase has been used on the site.😱 

As mentioned Joseph & Thomasina who married in 1899 had 4 children by 1911 however 2 of them had died. Florrie 8 years and Mary 4 years were registered with their parents at 6 1st Street Netherton Colliery. They appear to have a son George born in 1917 who is registered with his parents at 9 Crawford Terrace in 1939. Although the 1911 census and 1939 register are not free to access there is a free website that is useful for family history research. https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

• Like 1

Thank you. I am aware of the information available on Ancestry and have already compiled a family tree from that. I am interested here in whether there are any relatives of these families still in the area, or people who knew of them. My main interest is Joseph and Thomasina's daughter, also called Thomasina, born 1911 and in 1948 married someone called Edward Hart. As far as I can see Joseph and Thomasina (senior) also had a son Joseph who died as a baby, a daughter Florence , a daughter Mary born about 1906-7 and George born 1917. Florence, born 1903, married a Mr John Richard Miles (an architect apparently) and lived till about 1966. They had a son Tom Miles but he is now also dead. Anyway, thanks all for your kind input. 

Edited by Dinah
  • Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now