Bank Cottage

A new member on the Bedlington remembered Facebook group has asked :- 

I've have searched the group and seen the maps on the new area my research has taken me which is Bank Cottage, East End, Bedlington. This is the birth place of my grandad in 1914. Do any photos exist?
Myself and a possible relative are trying to piece together my grandads rather secretive and mysterious life.

And followed on later with :-
Author
Thank you everyone it seems my grandad may have been there for about 10 years minimmun as it shows on his birth cert in 1914 and his sisters marriage cert 1924.
---------------------------------------------
Does anyone know anything about Bank Cottage? The only info I have been able to give her is this old photo + a map extract with Bank Cottage labelled :- 

Bedlington Bank with info.jpg

Bank Cottage no date.jpg

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

I think that's correct. Bank Cottage seems to have a long history. I think its location is shown better on this map from 1860:

1860 scale 25 to 1.jpg

It can be easily seen that the building matches the photo, standing at right angles to the road and the terraced houses beyond it. I don't know much about it but I can see from the 1911 census that it was small as it then housed two families - one in 3 rooms and the other in 2 rooms.

Edited by Canny lass
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Canny lass said:

I think that's correct. Bank Cottage seems to have a long history. I think its location is shown better on this map from 1860:

It can be easily seen that the building matches the photo, standing at right angles to the road and the terraced houses beyond it. I don't know much about it but I can see from the 1911 census that it was small as it then housed two families - one in 3 rooms and the other in 2 rooms.

@Canny lass - I will pass your info on.👌

21 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

@Canny lass - I will pass your info on.👌

@Canny lass - Mikki replied :-

Author
 ah yes I see. All these "banks" are very confusing.
They should have included a picture of each house on the census would make reserching a whole lot easier.
Thank you for your help I doubt I'll come across anything else in my search for Bank cottage as I think you have covered it, but if I do ill share it.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now